Can Atheists be Moral?

Then allow me to explain the cartoon. A devil is depicted taunting a stupid atheist. Why presume he's an atheist? Because his soul is described as worthless. Why stupid? Because after wishing aloud to be the greatest ever he sells his soul for only a box of crackers.

So "what that has to with Christians supposedly fearing?" It's a projection. Naturally both Christians and atheists would prefer everyone to be more like them. Many Christians do indeed fear devils so project that upon atheists. Initially, to circle their wagons by painting them as their enemy, and secondarily to try and convince atheists to fear devils too, thereby converting them to Christianity.

My bad. I didn't think of it that way at all. The guitarist could be anyone. If anything, I hoped it would lead to seriously discussing Satan since I learned that Satan isn't some entity that can be easily dismissed.

A child who cannot let go of their adolescent fears and superstitions is said to have never grown up.

Satan is easily dismissed. It’s called adulthood.

The Easter Bunny is what you should fear.

Do atheists think this is funny?

View attachment 262320

I think it’s funny, in a mordant sort or way, that folks such as you spend your lives in trembling fear of angry gods, devils, satans waving a pitchfork and other absurdities.

I guess I laughed because Christians think one's spriit is most important in relation to God the Father. We need to be pure to enter heaven. As to it being mordant, I would think it's because humans think that Satan will deliver what one asks for if they sell their soul to him. I assume they become bad. However, that's a lie because Satan cannot grant such wishes. People swear against God, but they should swearing against Satan. Satan is quite powerful. Do you think he influences you in your insistence of ID/creationists or whatever your worldview is? Even when you write "god" in lower case, you honor Satan as he is the god of the world and prince of the power of the air.

Substitute “The Easter Bunny” for “Satan”.

View attachment 262320

I think it’s funny, in a mordant sort or way, that folks such as you spend your lives in trembling fear of angry gods, devils, satans waving a pitchfork and other absurdities.

I guess I laughed because Christians think one's spriit is most important in relation to God the Father. We need to be pure to enter heaven. As to it being mordant, I would think it's because humans think that Satan will deliver what one asks for if they sell their soul to him. I assume they become bad. However, that's a lie because Satan cannot grant such wishes. People swear against God, but they should swearing against Satan. Satan is quite powerful. Do you think he influences you in your insistence of ID/creationists or whatever your worldview is? Even when you write "god" in lower case, you honor Satan as he is the god of the world and prince of the power of the air.

Substitute “The Easter Bunny” for “Satan”.
I find it equally fitting for both:

I guess I laughed because Christians think one's spriit is most important in relation to The Easter Bunny the Father. We need to be pure to enter heaven. As to it being mordant, I would think it's because humans think that The Easter Bunny will deliver what one asks for if they sell their soul to him. I assume they become bad. However, that's a lie because The Easter Bunny cannot grant such wishes. People swear against The Easter Bunny, but they should swearing against The Easter Bunny. The Easter Bunny is quite powerful. Do you think he influences you in your insistence of ID/creationists or whatever your worldview is? Even when you write "the easter bunny" in lower case, you honor The Easter Bunny as he is the god of the world and prince of the power of the air.

I love that "Christians think one's spriit is most important in relation to God the Father. We need to be pure to enter heaven."

One might as well say,
Fuck mothers.
Long live the patriarchy!

Also, in light of the constant BS comparing of atheists with Nazis,
Long live Das Vaterland! Sieg Heil!

Was ist des Deutschen Vaterland?
Ist’s Preußenland? Ist’s Schwabenland?
Ist’s, wo am Rhein die Rebe blüht?
Ist’s, wo am Belt die Möwe zieht?
O nein, nein, nein!
Sein Vaterland muss größer sein!..

The suggestion that angry gods somehow "keep us under control" or that morality is implanted by the gods is mere assertion.
Clearly you don’t know understand the implications of free will. We are left to our own device. The choice is implanted. Not the outcome. We are free to choose immorality.
That's entirely consistent with what Hollie said.. so you refuse to admit she was not only correct, but covered far more ground with fewer words.

Example:
The point is God has always been a moderating force on human behavior whether you like it or not.
So ding, why didn't you post that screed in response to Eric Blair rather than Hollie?
Morality was/is the subject, not free will.
Screed? It wasn’t a screed.

First of all God has been a moderating force but not in the way Hollie imagines. God isn’t pulling any strings or controlling behaviors and actions. God’s moderation is in allowing us to experience the consequences of our behaviors and actions. It’s a self compensating feature of existence.

The problem with most militant atheists is that they can’t accept God exists unless God does magic for them; unless God intervenes; unless God makes everything perfect. God has already made everything perfect. Everything is connected; everything works together for good. You people just can’t see it because you can’t see how good comes from bad.

I love that "Christians think one's spriit is most important in relation to God the Father. We need to be pure to enter heaven."

One might as well say,
Fuck mothers.
Long live the patriarchy!

Also, in light of the constant BS comparing of atheists with Nazis,
Long live Das Vaterland! Sieg Heil!

Was ist des Deutschen Vaterland?
Ist’s Preußenland? Ist’s Schwabenland?
Ist’s, wo am Rhein die Rebe blüht?
Ist’s, wo am Belt die Möwe zieht?
O nein, nein, nein!
Sein Vaterland muss größer sein!..
Actually we are told to be perfect not do perfect things. Many a saint has pondered the difference between the two.

Everything works itself out in the end. It may or may not be to our liking, but if we dig deep enough we just might find that we didn’t get what we wanted but we got what we needed.

View attachment 262320

A lot of people read the Bible and think God was angry. But that isn’t how your ancestors saw God. They saw God as a loving and caring God.

It seems to me that you have lost the original meaning through time.

Maybe that’s why so many Jews like you have forgotten God.

The funny thing is that you are drawn to discussing God. You literally can’t stop yourself from doing it.

We need to be pure to enter heaven.

Do we? Wasn’t that the point of reconciling justice with mercy through the cross?

Wasn’t the point of it all to allow Christ to carry our guilt so that we could be free to see ourselves as we really are so that we could change our ways?

Screed? It wasn’t a screed.
I hold a poetic license. It may or may not be to your liking, but if you dig deep enough you just might find that you didn’t get what you wanted but you got what you needed.
I’m good with it either way. Everything works itself out in the end. Error can’t stand. Eventually it falls. Of course that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t participate in the conflict and confusion process. We should. That’s how we discover objective truth.

Do we? Wasn’t that the point of reconciling justice with mercy through the cross?

Wasn’t the point of it all to allow Christ to carry our guilt so that we could be free to see ourselves as we really are so that we could change our ways?
Here's some objective truth for ya then. I didn't say that. You've misquoted me. That's against the rules here. You are a bad Christian. Repent before it's too late!

Here's some objective truth for ya then. I didn't say that. You've misquoted me. That's against the rules here. You are a bad Christian. Repent before it's too late!
Did I say you did?

Are you certain?

Or did I respond to what you wrote? You did type it, right?

What exactly do you believe repent means anyway? A lot of people think it means something other than what it does.

Do you know how to see objective truth? Do you know the secret; the trick?

Do you know how to read? Look up at it again.. "GRUMBLENUTS SAID".. No, I didn't. I quoted someone else saying that. Fear your retribution! Confess! Repent!

Do you know how to read? Look up at it again.. "GRUMBLENUTS SAID".. No, I didn't. I quoted someone else saying that. Fear your retribution! Confess! Repent!
That was my point. I was replying to the content of what you quoted. Sheesh.

So.... I ask the question, do we need to be pure? The point of reconciling justice with mercy through the cross was to make the impure pure.

Christ has offered to carry our guilt so that we could be free to see ourselves as we really are so that we could change our ways.

Now do you understand?

Forum List

Back