Can you be a truly good Christian, yet be against universal healthcare?

Feel free to explain how it's inconsistent with the golden rule.

I already have. In about as many ways as possible. You almost had it right, but fell back on your willingness to take what isn't yours to support YOUR beliefs.

The Golden Rule is giving, unilaterally, at the individual level.

Taking via legislation is levying, and it does not take anyone's willingness to give into account.

Two opposing ideals.

You are still misinterpreting it. It doesn't matter if I think it is best for the greater good in relation to the golden rule. All that matters is that it is consistent with what I personally would approve of as treatment toward myself.

"Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you."

Since I don't have a problem with being taxed there is no way being taxed violates the golden rule for me. It might for you, but that doesn't matter. It's my consistency that I am testing, not yours.

As for being beaten and robbed, I don't want that treatment so I certainly would be violating the golden rule as applied to myself by giving it to someone else.

You are incorrect. What you say matters only matters insofar as YOU giving is concerned. The golden rule isn't about YOU and you alone, and what you think is right.

Whether or not you have a problem with being taxed is irrelevant to the issue. Taxation is taking, not giving. No one "gives" taxes. The government takes them via legislation and whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant.

It appears you are incapable of differentiating between giving and taking any further than you personally are concerned.

The only way that you would be correct is if the golden rule stated "give unto others as Ravir would have you give." Otherwise, it doesn't work.

You are incorrect. What you say matters only matters insofar as YOU giving is concerned. The golden rule isn't about YOU and you alone, and what you think is right.

Whether or not you have a problem with being taxed is irrelevant to the issue. Taxation is taking, not giving. No one "gives" taxes. The government takes them via legislation and whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant.

It appears you are incapable of differentiating between giving and taking any further than you personally are concerned.

The only way that you would be correct is if the golden rule stated "give unto others as Ravir would have you give." Otherwise, it doesn't work.

hmmm... i know what you mean, but regarding taxation, jesus also said, "render unto caeser that which is his...", implying the "giving" was not of a material nature... :eusa_think:

...The golden rule isn't about YOU and you alone, and what you think is right.

Whether or not you have a problem with being taxed is irrelevant to the issue. ...The government takes them via legislation and whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant.

in the context of this discussion as it relates to the government, we each have one vote in a democratic republic to influence that legislation...

It appears you are incapable of differentiating between giving and taking any further than you personally are concerned...
but all Ravir can be expected to express in this discussion is her own personal perspective because you are correct in that the practical application of the Golden rule is an individual thing...

hmmm... i know what you mean, but regarding taxation, jesus also said, "render unto caeser that which is his...", implying the "giving" was not of a material nature... :eusa_think:

You are making a similar mistake. The Government is NOT an Individual and it does not "ask" us to "freely" give. It dictates by force of LAW what we will give, taking it by force if needed. It does not matter at all that someone AGREES with the tax or the Government. The Golden Rule does not apply at all.

You are making a similar mistake. The Government is NOT an Individual and it does not "ask" us to "freely" give. It dictates by force of LAW what we will give, taking it by force if needed. It does not matter at all that someone AGREES with the tax or the Government. The Golden Rule does not apply at all.

i'm trying to figure a way to reconcile the two ideas with the understanding that our government is a democratic republic, by the people for the people...

i'm trying to figure a way to reconcile the two ideas with the understanding that our government is a democratic republic, by the people for the people...

Can not be done. The Golden Rule is a personal admonishment. No Government is ever a person. A tax is by definition not freely giving. It is OWED. You can not decide you want to pay less. You can send money to the treasury in excess of your OWED obligation and you can even stipulate what it should be spent on.

Can not be done. The Golden Rule is a personal admonishment. No Government is ever a person. A tax is by definition not freely giving. It is OWED. You can not decide you want to pay less. You can send money to the treasury in excess of your OWED obligation and you can even stipulate what it should be spent on.

hey, don't get me wrong! i'm all for lower taxes and less government intrusion. ;) still, an individual has a choice to vote one way or the other to affect the policy changes that matter to them one way or the other, that's all i'm saying... i will say, i don't think wanting lower taxes makes anyone less of a giving person necessarily...

hey, don't get me wrong! i'm all for lower taxes and less government intrusion. ;) still, an individual has a choice to vote one way or the other to affect the policy changes that matter to them one way or the other, that's all i'm saying... i will say, i don't think wanting lower taxes makes anyone less of a giving person necessarily...

Again not staying on topic. The Golden Rule does NOT apply to Government and sure as hell does not apply to TAXES.

Again not staying on topic. The Golden Rule does NOT apply to Government and sure as hell does not apply to TAXES.

i'm just following along the course of the discussion... did you see my post from earlier this morning?

05-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Glori.B
Quote:
Originally Posted by manifold View Post
The point is that invoking the golden rule to support a particular position concerning government policy is folly.
i agree!

“Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you"

You guys are missing the point. It's all about me! Or you, WHEN you apply the golden rule to your actions...and imo, that is what the golden rule is...a guide to one's own actions. There's no real consideration of the "others" except as a reference point as to how you would like to be treated. It doesn't really matter what YOU think about being taxed, it only matters how I would feel about it in your position.

And from your perspective, it means you can't tax me because you wouldn't want to be taxed in my position...to tax me would be you violating the golden rule. It can be translated roughly to mean act in your own best interests. A pretty selfish rule.

And it's nonsense to say we don't have a choice about taxation. We can opt out of society. No one is forcing you to participate in the American system. And when you do participate, you have a vote and a voice and the chance to change the system to your liking. We aren't a bunch of zombies that lack free will.

You guys are missing the point. It's all about me! Or you, WHEN you apply the golden rule to your actions...and imo, that is what the golden rule is...a guide to one's own actions. There's no real consideration of the "others" except as a reference point as to how you would like to be treated. It doesn't really matter what YOU think about being taxed, it only matters how I would feel about it in your position.

And from your perspective, it means you can't tax me because you wouldn't want to be taxed in my position...to tax me would be you violating the golden rule. It can be translated roughly to mean act in your own best interests. A pretty selfish rule.

And it's nonsense to say we don't have a choice about taxation. We can opt out of society. No one is forcing you to participate in the American system. And when you do participate, you have a vote and a voice and the chance to change the system to your liking. We aren't a bunch of zombies that lack free will.

You are dense as a lead brick

852e2897.gif

What I find the most hilarious about the pharisee christians focus on their personal wealth despite humanity is that Jebus didn't make excuses for collecting personal wealth AT ALL.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."
Matthew 19:24

But, leave it to an athiest to point out the obvious fallacy of dogma junkies.

What I find the most hilarious about the pharisee christians focus on their personal wealth despite humanity is that Jebus didn't make excuses for collecting personal wealth AT ALL.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."
Matthew 19:24

But, leave it to an athiest to point out the obvious fallacy of dogma junkies.

What I find most amusing is the scripture they're pulling the golden rule from when read as an entire piece actually advocates for giving what you don't need for yourself to the poor.

What I find most amusing is the scripture they're pulling the golden rule from when read as an entire piece actually advocates for giving what you don't need for yourself to the poor.

Giving, being the key. Not having it taken. One is doing good deeds, the other is being forced to surrender your money. One gets you into heaven the other gets you nothing after death.

Giving, being the key. Not having it taken. One is doing good deeds, the other is being forced to surrender your money. One gets you into heaven the other gets you nothing after death.

This never ending argument about the Golden Rule is giving me a headache. Why do you people wish to inflict this pain on me?

MONEY AND WEALTH IS STILL OF THIS MATERIAL WORLD, dude. Jesus didn't tell you to hoard your fucking retirement 401k. JESUS didn't rail AGAINST ROMAN TAXES. JESUS didn't validate your personal wealth, dude. read the scripture I posted. WHO said that? MONEY nor refusing to pay TAXES wont get you into heaven, dude. read your fucking bible.

In fact, I daresay, if anyone is making a farce out of the message of jebus it is you for taking his name in vane while masking your greed in the virtues of your dogma.

Forum List

Back