Canadian Doctor publicly administers "humiliating bitch slap" to GOP Senator Burr

For the last 15 years, medical bills have been the number one cause of bankruptcy. Why does the right see that as a "good thing"? Anyone?

Generally, in Canada, if you have an emergency condition, you get treated right away. A friend of mine was diagnosed with multiple myeloma and was in the hospital the next day. (Unfortunately, he passed.)

But what you generally don't get is the cutting edge treatment. For example, the provincial governments wouldn't pay the $20k for Avastin when it first came out. It did so a few years later when the price dropped, but those who might have benefited from it didn't receive it.

I will reiterate, though, that if I were poor or lower middle class, I'd rather be in Canada. A good friend of mine who was diagnosed with a debilitating disease and living in New York moved back to Toronto because she would no longer be able to work and would receive better care in Canada.

For the last 15 years, medical bills have been the number one cause of bankruptcy. Why does the right see that as a "good thing"? Anyone?

Now it will be the outrageous cost of HI premiums plus deductibles before a family of four/five making >$96K a year in California even gets their health insurance plan to cover many things, like prescriptions, that can bankrupt a family.

:thup:

Medical Bills Are the Biggest Cause of US Bankruptcies: Study

You've referred to this link before.
Read it for a refresher.

that is a typical Dean post.....leave out or spin some of the essentials....

"And I believe" is never a "fact". The operative word being "believe". Remember the lady with cancer the GOP used for political ads? When it was pointed out she would pay LESS under Obamacare, she simply flat out said "I refuse to believe it".

She also said she refused to even look at her options under ObamaCare.

The right is getting shot down at every turn.

10014657_10152044375651275_98463851_n.jpg
Ignorant woman bought the horror stories from the Right rather than the facts.

Here's the stats on ER wait times in my neck of the woods. My situation is even worse because they shut down our ER which was half an hours drive away and closest ER to me now is an hours drive or two hours round trip for an ambulance.

My funeral home is closer. And this amount of time is just to get there. Then the real hell sets in.

Based on a reliable study not some Doctor's opinion. Welcome to my free health care system.

WINNIPEG – Canadians are waiting far too long to be admitted to hospitals when they go to emergency rooms – and the problem is worst in Manitoba, according to a new report.

The Canadian Institute for Health Information report says one in 10 Canadians who goes to an emergency department and requires admission to a hospital has to wait 28 hours for a bed.

But in Manitoba, one in 10 patients in participating hospitals had to wait more than 38 hours for a bed.

Manitoba emergency room wait times worst in Canada: report - Winnipeg | Globalnews.ca

Here's another gem from my neck of the woods. I guess the Doctor never heard of Brian Sinclair. Yuppers nothing like free health care.

Sinclair died of a treatable bladder infection. Witnesses said hospital staff ignored their concerns about the double amputee in a wheelchair in the emergency waiting room.

GW021814_SINCLAIR.jpg

Family of man who died during Winnipeg ER wait pulls out of inquest | Globalnews.ca
New study finds 45,000 deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage | Harvard Gazette

Nearly 45,000 annual deaths are associated with lack of health insurance, according to a new study published online today by the American Journal of Public Health. That figure is about two and a half times higher than an estimate from the Institute of Medicine (IOM) in 2002.

The study, conducted at Harvard Medical School and Cambridge Health Alliance, found that uninsured, working-age Americans have a 40 percent higher risk of death than their privately insured counterparts, up from a 25 percent excess death rate found in 1993.

That study may be correct but it is based on a model, which is based on assumptions. Which is fine, because that's how models work. It might be wrong, it might be right, I don't know.

But it's somewhat disingenuous for the Canadian doctor to point to that study as a criticism of the US system while not applying the same yardstick to Canada's since he didn't know of a similar study up there.

Now it will be the outrageous cost of HI premiums plus deductibles before a family of four/five making >$96K a year in California even gets their health insurance plan to cover many things, like prescriptions, that can bankrupt a family.

Read it for a refresher.

Wait a second. Three years into the complete overhaul of the healthcare system and we still have medical bankruptcies.

Time to scrap obamacare

That study may be correct but it is based on a model, which is based on assumptions. Which is fine, because that's how models work. It might be wrong, it might be right, I don't know.

But it's somewhat disingenuous for the Canadian doctor to point to that study as a criticism of the US system while not applying the same yardstick to Canada's since he didn't know of a similar study up there.

Canada spends around $4,500 per person. The US spends around $8,500 per person.

What is disingenuous about the entire comparison is to suggest that the two nations should ever have results that are remotely comparable.

No matter the system some people will end up dying of preventable things. That is not what that 45,000 number represents. The 45,000 number looks at people who died and determines how many died because they didn't have health insurance. It looks at real people who died and then estimates numbers for the entire nation.

There are still other ways people die in the US in ways that could have been prevented, including due to cost saving measures the US has taken.

There is a worthwhile discussion about how much the US should spend per person. I have yet to hear a good argument as to why the US has to have such a horribly inefficient system.

Read it for a refresher.

And the GOP plan to make it better is what? Die?

I haven't seen the numbers lately, but 2 or 3 years ago, it was the first year when there was net migration of Canadian doctors back into Canada. The previous 30 years, in every single year, there were more Canadian doctors moving from Canada to the US than from the US to Canada.

Edit - I'm sorry, it was 8 years ago.

More doctors returning to Canada than leaving, first time in 30 years | Physicians for a National Health Program

And I believe the doctor was talking about Canadian doctors moving back to Canada, not American doctors moving to Canada.
That almost never happens. However, it does happen that Canadians move to the US.

"And I believe" is never a "fact". The operative word being "believe". Remember the lady with cancer the GOP used for political ads? When it was pointed out she would pay LESS under Obamacare, she simply flat out said "I refuse to believe it".

And you might as well preface your comments with "I don't know jack fucking shit, but ..."

And you might as well preface your comments with "I don't know jack fucking shit, but ..."

OK, here goes, " "I don't know jack fucking shit, but ...I know a "fact" is better than a "belief".

How'd I do?

People going bankrupt feeds the Republican meme of making fun of poor people, that's why it's a good thing.

That senator looked like a moron during questioning.

The Yankees are coming, the Yankees are coming! Doctors, that is. Five reasons why. | Vancouver Sun

American doctors move to Canada because working conditions are good for them up there. Even though the American system is for-profit, they get paid better in the single-payer system in Canada.

The doctor was indeed talking about American doctors going to Canada, and not just Canadian doctors moving back, which is also the case.

Read it for a refresher.

And the GOP plan to make it better is what? Die?

Hmmmm

Title of thread:
Canadian Doctor publicly administers "humiliating bitch slap" to GOP Senator Burr

Your question has what to do with the OP (your) thread?

A: Nothing.

OK, here goes, " "I don't know jack fucking shit, but ...I know a "fact" is better than a "belief".

How'd I do?

Since you produced conjecture and not facts, and since you did not understand the context in which it is set, you failed.

How'd I do?

Since you produced conjecture and not facts, and since you did not understand the context in which it is set, you failed.

That's a fact I believe.

How'd I do?

That's a fact I believe.

Ropey, how many American doctors do you know of in Canada? How many do you know, read about, have friends talk about, have ever been mentioned in Canadian media, or any indication whatsoever of migration or presence of American doctors into Canada?

Edit: There is a Vancouver Sun blog post which addresses this. In BC, 20 doctors have moved to Canada from this US this past year, and that includes Canadian doctors.

Last edited:

That's a fact I believe.

Ropey, how many American doctors do you know of in Canada? How many do you know, read about, have friends talk about, have ever been mentioned in Canadian media, or any indication whatsoever of migration or presence of American doctors into Canada?

Edit: There is a Vancouver Sun blog post which addresses this. In BC, 20 doctors have moved to Canada from this US this past year, and that includes Canadian doctors.

This is why I said you were speaking fact and that I believed it.

Forum List

Back