"Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than charity does" - Bono

Tell that to the people in Huston and the hurricane ravaged islands of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Most jobs that provide such an opportunity are only accessible via schooling. Schooling is not something everyone has access to. The impoverished working class often needs their kids to enter low-wage jobs just to support their family.

I do not call people having to work 2 or more full-time jobs just to survive independence.

In short, I don't think Bono, as brilliant of an economic thinker a frontman of a band might be, has any clue what he's talking about.

The big lie about capitalism is that everyone benefits. The exact opposite is actually the truth. Capitalism requires that there are haves and have nots. It requires that there are more people than employement to work. its driven by supply but more importantly demand. This demand is generated by those wishing to display their status as haves. The people that really benefit are the ones that make whatever bullshit product you dont really need.

Nothing like the opportunity to work for one’s survival and independence!

Sure. The issue with capitalism is that it needs to be regulated, and the higher a nation goes, the higher the youth need to be trained to deal with all the problems in society, they need SKILLS to deal with work and their normal life. This is where the US falls down.

Most jobs that provide such an opportunity are only accessible via schooling. Schooling is not something everyone has access to. The impoverished working class often needs their kids to enter low-wage jobs just to support their family.

I do not call people having to work 2 or more full-time jobs just to survive independence.

In short, I don't think Bono, as brilliant of an economic thinker a frontman of a band might be, has any clue what he's talking about.

A good society is where everyone is born with opportunity to progress to the highest levels based on their ability. This will allow society to function the best. It requires everyone to have good schooling and learn the relevant skills.

It requires everyone to have good schooling and learn the relevant skills.

This is where capitalism in general fails imo. It is impossible under its current conditions for everyone to receive good schooling. Meritocracy can only be achieved when everyone can feasibly be equal at the starting gun, and when wealth is concentrated in the upper echelons of society, equality is not on the playing field.

A good society is where everyone is born with opportunity to progress to the highest levels based on their ability. This will allow society to function the best. It requires everyone to have good schooling and learn the relevant skills.
I read somewhere that this is only a theory. In reality the Peter principle rules. Everyone is promoted to their level of incompetence.

This is where capitalism in general fails imo. It is impossible under its current conditions for everyone to receive good schooling. Meritocracy can only be achieved when everyone can feasibly be equal at the starting gun, and when wealth is concentrated in the upper echelons of society, equality is not on the playing field.
Its what we called in the hood "a rigup"

Yes, the US is failing. In other countries there isn't this failure.

I don't agree that everyone needs to be equal at the starting gun. Some people will have different ways of learning, be good at different things and the like. The differences that we experience are good for society, having everyone be the same like little robots is not really necessary, the Chinese think so, but I disagree.

Kids all need to be given a chance. They all need to be given good education. Just because someone grows up rich, and has everything on a plate, doesn't mean they're going to succeed in society. And just because someone is born into poverty, doesn't mean they aren't going to succeed. But giving all kids the tools to succeed will then provide them with the chance to try for what they want to go for. Even if they don't make it.

I read somewhere that this is only a theory. In reality the Peter principle rules. Everyone is promoted to their level of incompetence.

Potentially yes, but giving people the chance to reach their level of incompetency is better than holding people back.

I don't agree that everyone needs to be equal at the starting gun. Some people will have different ways of learning, be good at different things and the like. The differences that we experience are good for society, having everyone be the same like little robots is not really necessary, the Chinese think so, but I disagree.

Kids all need to be given a chance. They all need to be given good education. Just because someone grows up rich, and has everything on a plate, doesn't mean they're going to succeed in society. And just because someone is born into poverty, doesn't mean they aren't going to succeed. But giving all kids the tools to succeed will then provide them with the chance to try for what they want to go for. Even if they don't make it.

I generally don't advocate for people to be robots. Unless they get their jollies from it I guess.

But if all kids have the tools to succeed, then that means they are generally equal at an economic level. I don't mean so much at a personal level.

I generally don't advocate for people to be robots. Unless they get their jollies from it I guess.

But if all kids have the tools to succeed, then that means they are generally equal at an economic level. I don't mean so much at a personal level.

Well, yes they need the tools to succeed. Society needs to understand those tools that are needed in society, and need to find which sort of people make good this and good that and then direct them towards this.

Capitalism is the worst system of economics there is...except for all the other ones.

Having personally known someone that couldn’t read and write and became a very successful private contractor, I know if someone has the drive they can succeed under most any circumstances.

Having personally known someone that couldn’t read and write and became a very successful private contractor, I know if someone has the drive they can succeed under most any circumstances.
One person, really. What kind of contractor?
Who did his proposals (bids) and write his bills?

Forum List

Back