Car Pulled Over For Traffic Stop, Man In Passenger Seat Held At Gunpoint For 9 Minutes

Sometimes firearms skills, deft handling, superior weaponry, and high accuracy aren't enough. That's evident by the high number of law-enforcement deaths lately.

A lot of those deaths occur by people shooting police just sitting in their car or something, not even aware or looking, doing paperwork or something, by passers-by who the police are not even engaged with. The cop should have at least aimed the gun towards his legs or dash. A loaded gun aimed at your chest is a threat to your life, aimed at the legs or the dash, the guy had to go that direction anyway to get under the seat! If a cop doesn't feel safe with his GUN DRAWN, SAFETY OFF, IN HIS HAND and ALREADY POINTED AT THE SUBJECT that all he needs is 1/10th second to point, against an unarmed guy sitting back with hands in plain view, I would be nervous of that cop too.

All such behavior is likely to do is further escalate fear of the police and anti-cop reprisal. If you think I'm wrong, fine, let me come to your house and point a loaded .45 at your chest for 9 minutes! See how it feels. You won't like it.

There's way more to the story than the video shows. The car was stopped because it whizzed by the officer, doing 85 mph. In the five minutes that elapsed before the video started, the officer had a cordial conversation with the occupants and asked them, for their licenses, proof of insurance, and registration. The occupants spent several minutes looking for them, and the officer saw Mr. Loudmouth reaching under the seat and felt threatened enough to hold him at gunpoint.

The Campbell Police Department has upheld the officer's action...

Campbell Police Defend Gun-Drawn Highway 101 Traffic Stop
http://www.kion546.com/news/campbell-police-defend-gun-drawn-highway-101-traffic-stop/597378937
BTW, it would suck for someone to come to my door with a loaded pistol. We live pretty far out in the sticks and I hardly ever stray very far from my body armor, night vision goggles, and an AK-47. Besides, after the dogs got through with them, there wouldn't be enough for a proper funeral.

The article says both the passenger and driver were given citations. What was the passenger ticketed for?

Being a general shithead.

Yea, he spoiled his little power trip some.

Most of the time the mouthy ones back down a little when being challenged by real force. If they have an ounce of sense in them.

The guy should not be reaching under his seat

Good job officer

thanks-----clearly the cop had a reason. Since he did not shoot the guy-----what is the issue?
The problem is the cop does not believe in the "Innocent til Proven Guilty" motto of the United States. That has been a problem for a while with the police.
I see them question the Drivers after a traffic stop asking them where they are coming from or where they are going. Which has nothing to do with the reason they got pulled over.

Good job officer

thanks-----clearly the cop had a reason. Since he did not shoot the guy-----what is the issue?
The problem is the cop does not believe in the "Innocent til Proven Guilty" motto of the United States. That has been a problem for a while with the police.
I see them question the Drivers after a traffic stop asking them where they are coming from or where they are going. Which has nothing to do with the reason they got pulled over.

At what point is Mr. Loudmouth supposed to be considered "guilty"? After he pulls a pistol out from under the seat and empties it into the cop's chest?

The man wasn't driving, CHiPs officer comes to right door asks for papers, when man goes to get them, cop points gun at him for nine minutes, refuses to stop aiming it at him directly though man's hands were in plain view.

Cop gun 9 minutes - Bing video

Are the police getting a bit TOO edgy or what? I understand their concerns, but did he have to keep a loaded gun aimed at a man's chest? I mean, he could have simply raised it a bit aimed over the car, or kept his hand on it in the holster.

Cops are trained heavily in firearms skills, deft handling, high accuracy, that should give you an edge and confidence, but apparently not here. What next, hold it to the guy's temple with finger on the trigger?

Oh I can beat that. Easily. I was held at gunpoint (TWO guns), handcuffed and taken away for the crime of walking home from a trolley stop. And of course for the perverted act of Being The First Guy They Saw. Then they tried to pin me for murder.
I had 6 in Warr Acres, Ok, pull their weapons and cock those shiny .357's while I held a tire that was repaired and I was walking back to my vehicle...They thought I was someone else...

The man wasn't driving, CHiPs officer comes to right door asks for papers, when man goes to get them, cop points gun at him for nine minutes, refuses to stop aiming it at him directly though man's hands were in plain view.

Are the police getting a bit TOO edgy or what? I understand their concerns, but did he have to keep a loaded gun aimed at a man's chest? I mean, he could have simply raised it a bit aimed over the car, or kept his hand on it in the holster.

Cops are trained heavily in firearms skills, deft handling, high accuracy, that should give you an edge and confidence, but apparently not here. What next, hold it to the guy's temple with finger on the trigger?

Oh I can beat that. Easily. I was held at gunpoint (TWO guns), handcuffed and taken away for the crime of walking home from a trolley stop. And of course for the perverted act of Being The First Guy They Saw. Then they tried to pin me for murder.
I had 6 in Warr Acres, Ok, pull their weapons and cock those shiny .357's while I held a tire that was repaired and I was walking back to my vehicle...They thought I was someone else...

You must be pretty old. Law-enforcement officers haven't used .357 magnum revolvers since the early 1980's

You must be pretty old. Law-enforcement officers haven't used .357 magnum revolvers since the early 1980's
It was like 1982...

It was like 1982...

I thought so. You're lucky you didn't flinch or make any sudden movement. Ever see what a 4" barreled .357 magnum loaded with softpoint rounds can do to a watermelon?

It was like 1982...

I thought so. You're lucky you didn't flinch or make any sudden movement. Ever see what a 4" barreled .357 magnum loaded with softpoint rounds can do to a watermelon?
I usually liked to shoot water filled peanuts cans, but yeah..

It was like 1982...

I usually liked to shoot water filled peanuts cans, but yeah..

I had LE guns drawn on me once back in 1970. I was in a small town (230 population) jail for taking a one-joint rap for my brother. I was in there for 10 weeks before another guy and I decided to break out. We wandered around in the woods for two days before we were finally caught. I didn't think much of the guns pointed at me because I was tired of getting eaten up by chiggers and mosquitoes.

True story. :biggrin:

Why did it take the suspects 9 minutes to find their papers? Oops--my bad! I forgot to put my PC glasses on.

PIGS IN A BLANKET, FRIED IN BACON!

Am I forgiven?

Sometimes firearms skills, deft handling, superior weaponry, and high accuracy aren't enough. That's evident by the high number of law-enforcement deaths lately.

A lot of those deaths occur by people shooting police just sitting in their car or something, not even aware or looking, doing paperwork or something, by passers-by who the police are not even engaged with. The cop should have at least aimed the gun towards his legs or dash. A loaded gun aimed at your chest is a threat to your life, aimed at the legs or the dash, the guy had to go that direction anyway to get under the seat! If a cop doesn't feel safe with his GUN DRAWN, SAFETY OFF, IN HIS HAND and ALREADY POINTED AT THE SUBJECT that all he needs is 1/10th second to point, against an unarmed guy sitting back with hands in plain view, I would be nervous of that cop too.

All such behavior is likely to do is further escalate fear of the police and anti-cop reprisal. If you think I'm wrong, fine, let me come to your house and point a loaded .45 at your chest for 9 minutes! See how it feels. You won't like it.
No back stories, please. Our law firm has a nice tight pattern zeroed in on the officer.

There's way more to the story than the video shows. The car was stopped because it whizzed by the officer, doing 85 mph. In the five minutes that elapsed before the video started, the officer had a cordial conversation with the occupants and asked them, for their licenses, proof of insurance, and registration. The occupants spent several minutes looking for them, and the officer saw Mr. Loudmouth reaching under the seat and felt threatened enough to hold him at gunpoint.

BTW, it would suck for someone to come to my door with a loaded pistol. We live pretty far out in the sticks and I hardly ever stray very far from my body armor, night vision goggles, and an AK-47. Besides, after the dogs got through with them, there wouldn't be enough for a proper funeral.

Good job officer

Even though we've had that illogical phrase drummed into us from childhood, it is only a motto of criminal-defense lawyers and weeping thughuggers. Someone is only innocent until he does the crime, not until he is caught after leaving enough evidence to convict him. Legalese is an intentionally misleading jargon designed to confuse the public. Lawyers make most of their money off that confusion.

Good job officer

Even though we've had that illogical phrase drummed into us from childhood, it is only a motto of criminal-defense lawyers and weeping thughuggers. Someone is only innocent until he does the crime, not until he is caught after leaving enough evidence to convict him. Legalese is an intentionally misleading jargon designed to confuse the public. Lawyers make most of their money off that confusion.

What absolute BS. I see you have been drinking the kool aid by the gallon.

Too bad you didn't make a sudden move.

Izzat right. Why?

Yanno I've told this story before here. What I didn't mention this time was that these were not uniformed cops, they were driving an unmarked car, and never the whole night identified themselves. So in other topics I use this story as an example of what would have gone down if had been stupid enough to follow the gun fetishists' credo of walking around packing. At the time they pulled guns I had no idea who they were. Just two guys jumping out of a plain white Oldsmobile with no witnesses around.

Too bad I wasn't a gun fetishist, huh.

Forum List

Back