🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Carroll Sends In The Play..Wilson To Harvin...TD.!!!

Ponder seemed to get worse as the 2012 season progressed and Wilson got better..WAY better.

Uh duh. Cos Harvin played like an MVP for the first half of the season and then went out with a season ending injury and his one receiver that didn't suck was gone.

Wilson meanwhile did not throw for 300 yards in any regular season game. That means he's basically a game manager. Game managers can win Super Bowls. But, they aren't great. I'm sorry, but you're jumping the gun at this point.

To expound upon the 100-76 discrepancy. Well, I think Russell can continue on his pace for the near future. I've never debated that. But, if he injures a leg or has some weapons go down, do I think he'll just put up monster numbers like Peyton Manning or Drew Brees? I doubt it. It's hard to see him doing it at full strength even.

Furthermore, you have to look at the state of the Vikings. Favre had a 107.2 rating in 2009 (The real MVP that year btw) and 69.9 the next year. The O-Line had fallen apart. Rice and Harvin were hardly playing. Guys like Berrian were gone. He was getting no time to throw to guys who coudn't get open in six seconds, let alone two. Ponder stepped into a similar situation.

Again, I'm not singing Ponder's praises. But, I think he is very comparable to Russell Wilson is my point. And that means Wilson is not the great QB you think he is yet. Cos trust me, Ponder is nowhere near great yet.

There is no reason to believe that Russell Wilson will take a step backwards in 2013. If he continues on as he played the last 8 reg season games of 2012 he will be the best QB in the NFL in 2013.

LOL. No! I'm not saying that couldn't happen. I've seen enough flashes of brilliance from him. But, the idea that you are so sure of it, is ludicrous.

Ponder and Webb were an embarrassment at the end of last season. I felt sorry for the GB fanz. Wilson just kept getting better and better.

Do I worship Wilson? Ya I spoz I do. Players like him come around once in a lifetime. We are lucky to have him. If you are as big a fan as I you recognise the talent of a guy like Russell Wilson and appreciate the fortune you enjoy having him on your team. I'm not the only football fan that holds Wilson in high regard. He is second only to Colin Kaepernick in football jersey sales nation wide. And that is without my help as I don't have a current jersey. Mine is a Matt Hasselbeck. :lol:

What with all the bad news we get shoveled in our faces daly by the media it is nice to have something or someone that is truly working to make my life more enjoyable.

Ponder had about as good a season as he could have with that abysmal WR corps and that mediocre o-line. I'm not high on Ponder. I think the Vikngs over-reached for him. But, he played decent.

Webb's not an embarrassment. He's just a terrible QB. I think the Vikings gave him a chance to improve b/c of those amazing wheels. He'll likely convert to WR or be a career back-up.

Wilson played great last year. But, it was only one year. Lots of QBs have a good year or two and then break down.

To circle back to my point, I"m not sure there's even a huge difference between Wilson and Ponder at this point.

I don't want to come off as a dick but I have to dissagree with your assessment of Wilson's rookie year compared to Ponders 2nd year. Wilson sucked hind tit in his first few games. We were 4-4 at mid point of the year. There was even talk about benching him in flavor of Flynn. He seemed too tenative and reluctant to do anything for fear of making a mistake. Then a light seemed to go on in his head and the last eight games of the reg season he was 7-1. The first 8 games Wilson threw 7 ints last 8 games 3 ints. Maybe there were several factors that precipitated the change. The O-line started working better. The receivers started catching the ball instead of dropping passes. AND Carroll gave Wilson more latitude to run out of the pocket and extend the plays sometimes when they would break down.

Comparing Wilson to Ponder is lame. Ponder seemed to get worse as the 2012 season progressed and Wilson got better..WAY better. It seems the more that was on the line Wilson stepped up and responded with a clearer head, better throws and better footwork to make more out of what was given to him by the defenses.

Ponder has been a QB in the league since 2011 with stats Career: 27 G, 31 TD, 77.1 Rate, 177.3 Y/G, Vikings 2011-2012 31 TDs in 27 games. Wilson had 26 throwing TDs and 4 rushing TDs in just 16 games. Ponder's QB rating was 76 and Wilson's 100. He was off the charts at a QB rating of something like 135 in his last 8 games.

I just don't see any comparison at all. Wilson tied Paeyton Mannings rookie record of 26 TD's in the first year. TIED the record! Actually broke it if ya count the 4 rushing TDs. Ponder wasn't threatening to break any records in his rookie season.

Maybe one could compare Wilson's first eight games with Ponders whole career as they had a similar QB rating during those two time spans.

Wilson was arguably and certainly statistically the best QB in the NFL in his last 8 games in 2012. Ponder not so much.

There is no reason to believe that Russell Wilson will take a step backwards in 2013. If he continues on as he played the last 8 reg season games of 2012 he will be the best QB in the NFL in 2013.

I could see your point if Wilson just had a couple of hot games in 2012. He had 8 in a row all at the end of the season as the games all became more and more importatnt leading into the playoffs where his four TDs in Atlanta would have been the best comeback in the history of the playoffs by any QB ever ...that is if the Seahawk defense hadn't given Atlanta 58 yards and the winning last 13 seconds FG. That loss was certainly not Russell Wilson's fault.

Am I enamured by our QB...damned skippy!

Go Hawks!

I certainly wouldn't say Ponder is near Wilson, but I also wouldn't write Ponder off either. In this Instant Gratification NFL, people think the norm is for kids to role out of college and have an immediate impact in the NFL. Simply because a kid doesn't have an immediate impact doesn't mean he's not going to be a good NFL QB. Ponder has shown flashes of brilliance at times and has been pedestrian at others. He reminds me of Brad Johnson, who spent the first 4-5 years of his career on the bench. Ponder's best game as a pro was when Minnesota beat the Packers in the last game of the season. Given him a decent line and a decent receiving corp and he will be fine.

Get used to it...

That is all...

I just checked the schedule. had the 9ers been in Seattle in December I was going to take you to the game. Sadly, the Hawks are coming to my city in December and I'm going to NYC to watch the Giants play the Yanks and Mets in September - first we're going to Boston and see the Red Sox v. the Orioles on the 17th.

Let's bet (something) on this season.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back