šŸŒŸ Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! šŸŒŸ

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs šŸŽ

Carrying a gun at the Republican National Convention...a first hand account...no big deal...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yep......in the weeks leading up to the convention...the nuts on the anti gun side were laughing like little school girls about the carnage that was going to take place when normal, law abiding gun owners were going to be allowed to carry guns at the convention......

Then......nothing happened.......except two bored, and ignored left wingers were interviewed with their rifles and pistols.......then everyone went back to real news....

this is an account of a law abiding, normal person and what they experienced actually carrying a gun at the convention...

What Itā€™s Like to Carry a Gun Around the Event Zone at the RNC

I carried a gun around the event zone at the Republican National Convention, and it was no big deal.

Ever since I got my Virginia Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun, I carry a handgun on me wherever I legally can. So, when I was picked to be one of the lucky (?) Freebeaconers to travel to Cleveland (!) for the RNC this year, it was only natural that I would carry there, too. After all, a responsible gun owner ought to treat their gun like their American Express: never leave home without it.

Ok, I stole that line from my great uncle, but itā€™s pretty good. It captures the mentality of the concealed carrier well. You donā€™t carry because youā€™re afraid or because youā€™re some sort of vigilante. You carry because you want to be prepared.

----
The biggest challenge was to figure out exactly where it was legal for me to carry in Cleveland during the RNC. It didnā€™t take long to get accustomed to Ohioā€™s carry laws since they are pretty similar to Virginiaā€™s. You canā€™t carry into schools or government buildings or courthouses and so forth. It is a misdemeanor if you knowingly carry on private property that has no-guns signs posted, a minor difference from Virginia. You can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as you donā€™t drink any yourself, not much of a problem for me since I donā€™t drink much anyway.

The real struggle was figuring out the RNC-specific rules. Despite the media frenzy over the fact that guns were going to be allowed in the RNCā€™s ā€œevent zoneā€ while tennis balls, and other random things, would be banned, it was pretty damn hard to figure out exactly where the event zone was. Was it the same thing as the ā€œperimeterā€ that I had a badge to get into? Was it everything up to the Q but not inside the Q itself?

Turns out it was not that hard to figure out once I got to downtown Cleveland. It was perfectly legal for me to carry concealedā€”and since my goal in carrying a gun is self-protection and not political protest, my gun was, and always is, concealedā€”anywhere outside the zombie apocalypse-esque quarantine fences that surrounded the Q and Progressive Field. I could not bring my gun with me when I went into the convention, but I could have it whenever I was not in the stadium. And thatā€™s exactly what I did.

Forum List

Back