Catalan Independence

BradVesp

Dec 16, 2017
Chicago
Catalan Independence is a bigger deal, I think.
I think the issue here is similar to the one in the U.S. and maybe in the Ukraine, maybe in the U.K.. A small minority of Catalans are very prosperous. They produce enough for themselves and a surplus that is taken or given to Madrid where it is then distributed to poorer states and people. I imagine the Catalans think about themselves as hardworking and the people that get Madrid's distributions as lazy. It looks like a lot of waste to me by both effort and existence.
If a small country starts to materialize between Spain and France I'd imagine it'll destabilize other things. I just hope we're advanced as a civilization so that the vote can get acknowledged peacefully and the citizens given a right for self determination. Yet, I've no Idea if those things are part to the Spanish Constitution (or even is they have an U.S.-like constitution - certainly they have a longer history.)

Please note the Catalan region is adjacent to the Mediterranean Sea and so easily accessible if one can sail through the straight of Gibraltar. Gibraltar, too, is contentious; contiguous to Spain, but controlled and militarized by the U.K. The Catalan leaders don't seem stupid. They're working to get outside support. I imagine they have little military aside from some thousand farmers. Without outside help Madrid maybe able to force surrender.

Forum List

Back