Cats now killing billions of other mammals

We need to educate people about cats. They really do not need to roam and have much shorter lives if they're allowed. They're less healthy and often killed by dogs, cars or disease.

I used to disagree with TNR and believed it best to trap and euthanize feral cats. I've since learned that feral cat colonies can remain stable for generations, thereby not adding to the death rate of wildlife. BUT, they need to have people who are committed to altering, vaccinating and feeding.

Keeping cats inside and altering keeps everyone happy. Cat lovers and wildlife.

i agree...

all of my cats will never know the feel of grass and they were all neutered before 12 weeks of age. They are indoors only.

We have a pretty good sized area that's fenced in so the cats can run free without the fear of being a snack for a coyote or other big mammal. And they do keep the mice population in check...which is good...real good...though my wife loves rodents so for her it's a little sad.

Thanks. I was going to create a thread about this until i stumbled upon yours. I heard on the radio about cats destroying biodiversity in New Zealand & the guy down there wanting them to GTFO!!! :D

yep. all these rw cat ladies on the board think kitties are just all fun and games & cute to look at

Staggering Stats: Cats Kill Billions of Animals a Year - Yahoo! News

Could a Cat Ban in New Zealand Save Birds? | LiveScience

They're a menace. One article mainly blames feral cats as the primary culprits.

I love the TWO BILLION complete random guess for birds there. Or how about the 13 BILLION complete guess for small critters. The study sure leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to an ACCURATE estimate.

I would really love to see the methodology used. As far as New Zealand goes, the worst damage has been caused by the feral deer and mice, especially mice..that were imported from the US and other countries. They have had a far more detrimental impact than cats.

We need to educate people about cats. They really do not need to roam and have much shorter lives if they're allowed. They're less healthy and often killed by dogs, cars or disease.

I used to disagree with TNR and believed it best to trap and euthanize feral cats. I've since learned that feral cat colonies can remain stable for generations, thereby not adding to the death rate of wildlife. BUT, they need to have people who are committed to altering, vaccinating and feeding.

i agree...

all of my cats will never know the feel of grass and they were all neutered before 12 weeks of age. They are indoors only.

We have a pretty good sized area that's fenced in so the cats can run free without the fear of being a snack for a coyote or other big mammal. And they do keep the mice population in check...which is good...real good...though my wife loves rodents so for her it's a little sad.

Pets are not so much a problem as the feral population. However pet cats will still hunt birds for sport and not for food.... so it is still better to keep them indoors.

Cats are very important in controlling rodent populations.... but cats also can and will decimate bird populations if their numbers are not kept in check.

Thanks. I was going to create a thread about this until i stumbled upon yours. I heard on the radio about cats destroying biodiversity in New Zealand & the guy down there wanting them to GTFO!!! :D

yep. all these rw cat ladies on the board think kitties are just all fun and games & cute to look at

I love the TWO BILLION complete random guess for birds there. Or how about the 13 BILLION complete guess for small critters. The study sure leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to an ACCURATE estimate.

I would really love to see the methodology used. As far as New Zealand goes, the worst damage has been caused by the feral deer and mice, especially mice..that were imported from the US and other countries. They have had a far more detrimental impact than cats.

kewl. Oh wait. You didn't supply any links. Why does one always have to ask rw'ers, such as yourself, for links? Stop wasting everyone's time Dink. :thup:

Mr H- aren't you one of those Dinks that doesn't like coloured people?

Aren't you one of those colored people that doesn't like Dinks?

After 3+ years here, I've laid out my policy on just about every topic.

You can either read through thousands of my posts, or you can look up the number of birds killed by wind turbines. If you choose to do neither then fuck off.

You can either read through thousands of my posts, or you can look up the number of birds killed by wind turbines. If you choose to do neither then fuck off.

I know you're a racist from the other day sport. BTW- I've been her almost as long so don't make a big deal about it sport.

I know you're a racist from the other day sport. BTW- I've been her almost as long so don't make a big deal about it sport.

Like I said, comb my posts. Then rethink that one Cubby.

I like the fact that my colony of barn cats is proficient at their job. They keep those small, highly destructive mammals at bay. That's what I pay them for.

When I lived in Nevada, out in the desert, cats were used for scorpion control. Cats bite their heads off faster than the scorpion can strike. It is just this kind of pest control that is a large part of the billions of deaths attributed to cats. Mice, insects and keeping the bird population in check. The last time a city wanted to eradicate cats it was London and they ended up with the plague.

Is it proper to blame the crazy environmentalists for another round of idiocy? These are the same people who want an end to hair removal because body lice is an endangered species. You decide.

On average, I believe wind turbines have the cats bested.

What kind of statistics on bird deaths from wind turbines have you seen?

What kind of statistics from cats vs. wind turbines have you seen?

kewl. Oh wait. You didn't supply any links. Why does one always have to ask rw'ers, such as yourself, for links? Stop wasting everyone's time Dink. :thup:

Ummmm did you read your own link idiot? I used the numbers FROM YOUR LINK!:lol::lol::lol: What a boob.

Ummmm, I hate to point out the obvious, but as it's you it's neccessary, but Mr. H has been here for almost two years longer than you. You suffer from keyboard diarhea, as evidenced by your putrid posts, but no, you havn't been here almost as long as Mr. H.

My favorite cat when I grew up used to sit on his haunches and rest his chin on the ironing board when my mother ironed the clothes. I once saw him take on a German Shepard and send it scurrying off with its tail between its legs. Myabe you should learn about cats before you try to teach me about them.

Rule of thumb, when an expert starts talking about biodiversity and extinction rates, assume he is lying.

Rule of thumb, when an expert starts talking about biodiversity and extinction rates, assume he is lying.

Particularly because both"biodiversity" and "extinction rates" rank high in the liberal/progressive lexicon of words that should make us all want to just die.

We all know it doesn't work that way, sport.

You make the claim, you back it up with something. Or the rest of us conclude that you're bullshitting.

We all know it doesn't work that way, sport.

You make the claim, you back it up with something. Or the rest of us conclude that you're bullshitting.

And you're doing a fine job of eating it.

Forum List

Back