CBO: extending unemployment benefits creates 19,000 jobs per billion dollar stimulus

The shit they spend UE money on are the things that are recession proof anyway like groceries and electric bills.

Those do not stimulate growth.

No one is buying washing machines, cars, computers etc with UE money

And saying that every dollar of UE equals 1.60 in the economy is just plain stupid. If it were true then we should all just go on the dole and the economy would be booming

Didn't you say somewhere that you are a landlord? What, you just rent to rich people.

But lets look at what you say. People don't spend money on a new washing machine. You may be correct. What they do is look for a good used washing machine they can buy cheap.
Then the person they bought the used machine from goes out and buys a new machine.

How about car repairs. Unemployed people don't buy new cars. But they need to keep their current car up and running. So they spend money on car repairs which puts more money in the pocket of the repair shop owner who then buys himself a new car or piece of equipment or just pays his normal bills. Either way, the shop owner benefits from the spending of UE money. Keeps his mechanics working.

And you may want to read a couple articles about the velocity of money and how it moves through the economy.

I agree that having everyone on UE is not the answer. But to claim that people spending UE money has no beneficial effect on the overall economy is plain wrong. That's like saying that people spending money from their paychecks has no benefit to the economy.

Spending is spending.

Zeke, toothless stumpbroke of USMB, shows his ignorance of "broken window theory."

Really rabbit. You are now equating people receiving their UE benefits with criminals?

What the fuck is wrong with you asshole? Or do you really not know what the "broken window theory" states. Look it up stupid.

Hey rabbit, you got some fucking point you are trying to make?

What is "stump broke"? I keep asking, you keep avoiding. Why am I not surprised.

But go ahead rabbit. What is the difference to the economy between spending paycheck money and UE.
How does the economy differentiate between the two types of spending. UE vs paycheck.

Where4 does the money for each one come from, oh stumpbroke one?

The fucking source of the money was not the subject was it stupid? The topic was the effects of spending the money received by those drawing UE vs. a paycheck.

How does the economy differentiate between the two? You have no fucking clue do ya?

But come on rabbit. I'll play along.

As I understand it, the cost to extend UE benes is 6 billion dollars. We will borrow every single fucking dime of it.

What overall effect will the borrowing of another 6 billion dollars do to the overall economy? How will it effect YOU? Or me?

Come on this should be your chance to really shine. Show your brilliant grasp of our economy. 6 billion dollars more of debt will do what?

1) The benefits that the unemployed spend creates economic demand where there wouldn't be otherwise. For every tax dollar spent on these benefits, it creates $1.64 in economic stimulus (or 10 billion spent creates 16.7 billion in demand). Why? Because it creates a ripple effect in the market. Capitalism 101.

2) When the unemployed receive this insurance, they quickly spend ALL of it on basic essentials like food, clothing, and shelter. That is why it is so effective in creating jobs. Without this extra demand, more businesses are forced to lay their workers off.

3) Only 10,000 jobs are created every billion dollar TAX CUT. This is because the employed only spend HALF of their tax cuts. They have the luxury of saving some. All in all it does more harm than good: every dollar lost in revenue only creates .59 cents in growth.

4) This fiscal policy was a great success during the Great Depression.

This isn't Leftwing bull. We are talking basic economics. Demand side economic policies is the answer. Trickle down economics is a republican lie.

Why Extended Federal Unemployment Benefits Boost the Economy

Billy consider the possiblity (as so few partisans are willing to) that there is NO SINGLE CURE for what ails an economy.

There ARE times when assisting the DEMAND side is what is called for. This is one of those times, in both our opinions.

HOWEVER..

There are times when the SUPPLE side needs stimulation and where TAX BREAKS do make sense.

The macroeconomy is not a simple machine, folks.

As long as we're going to have the basic monetary system we have, (getting rid of it should be our goal) well...

Then we proably will need to tinker with the economy from time to time.

Sadly we've tinkered it into a DEMAND SIDE nightmare by giving the SUPPLE SIDE almost every advantage for the last 50 years!

Last edited:
I've noticed that willy is the only liberal trying to back up his claim in this thread, even the usual suspects aren't backing him.
deen came in and said something about jobs being shipped to China and Hazel came in and questioned someone's math skills, but that was it. :lol:

I guess even the liberals know BS when they read it. :eusa_whistle:

1) The benefits that the unemployed spend creates economic demand where there wouldn't be otherwise. For every tax dollar spent on these benefits, it creates $1.64 in economic stimulus (or 10 billion spent creates 16.7 billion in demand). Why? Because it creates a ripple effect in the market. Capitalism 101.

2) When the unemployed receive this insurance, they quickly spend ALL of it on basic essentials like food, clothing, and shelter. That is why it is so effective in creating jobs. Without this extra demand, more businesses are forced to lay their workers off.

3) Only 10,000 jobs are created every billion dollar TAX CUT. This is because the employed only spend HALF of their tax cuts. They have the luxury of saving some. All in all it does more harm than good: every dollar lost in revenue only creates .59 cents in growth.

This isn't Leftwing bull. We are talking basic economics. Demand side economic policies is the answer. Trickle down economics is a republican lie.

Care to link us to the actual cbo report via cbo.gov?

And what are good news?

The CBO is in fact not a fact... The CBO is an estimate of information given to them. You can give the CBO any numbers to toy around with but their answer can have no barring on reality

And I gave you facts you dumb chit. FDR, great depression. Obama Great recession. Harding Roaring 20's, Coolidge Roaring 20's.

This is where like a dumbass you claim FDR had a depression to fix, and forget that Harding fixed the Depression he took over in 18 months....

Facts hate the shit out of you billy~

They sure do. Billyboy is a left leaning Obamabot moron. He wouldn't know truth if it hit him right between the eyes.

The CBO can only shoot out what it does with the numbers its given. If the numbers are bogus, as in the ACA, then the numbers the CBO shoots our are bogus.

Yup. Billyidiot is just that. An idiot. I wonder who he thinks will support all this "free" money when everyone is on unemployment?? Guess he didn't think of that because he's an idiot.

Lol it's posts like this that let's me know I am getting my point across. Some people can't handle facts for what they are.

Oh and it isn't just the CBO that came to these results. Moody, Time, JP Morgan etc all say the same thing.

Well you believing it shows what a moron you are.

Tell me. How great would the economy be if EVERYONE was on UE??

Of course you'd have to have a working brain cell to work it out. Never mind.

There is no way that people having un employment monies could stimulate an economy.

I mean I have learned on here from the right winger assholes that ALL unemployment monies received by people with out a job simply goes into their savings accounts.

So how could saved money create a job? That's right, it can't. Even though 75% of our economy is based on consumer spending. Every right winger knows that unemployed people are savers, not spenders.

Right rethugs?

The shit they spend UE money on are the things that are recession proof anyway like groceries and electric bills.

And saying that every dollar of UE equals 1.60 in the economy is just plain stupid. If it were true then we should all just go on the dole and the economy would be booming

Didn't you say somewhere that you are a landlord? What, you just rent to rich people.

But lets look at what you say. People don't spend money on a new washing machine. You may be correct. What they do is look for a good used washing machine they can buy cheap.
Then the person they bought the used machine from goes out and buys a new machine.

How about car repairs. Unemployed people don't buy new cars. But they need to keep their current car up and running. So they spend money on car repairs which puts more money in the pocket of the repair shop owner who then buys himself a new car or piece of equipment or just pays his normal bills. Either way, the shop owner benefits from the spending of UE money. Keeps his mechanics working.

And you may want to read a couple articles about the velocity of money and how it moves through the economy.

I agree that having everyone on UE is not the answer. But to claim that people spending UE money has no beneficial effect on the overall economy is plain wrong. That's like saying that people spending money from their paychecks has no benefit to the economy.

Spending is spending.

UE does NOT equal 1.6 times non UE money.

People pay rent to me and it does not increase my spending whether that money is UE or not. I spend about the same as I always have.

Last edited:
Hey, Billy, why don't we all just quit our jobs and collect unemployment and test out your theory then? Nobody has to work anymore. For the next year the whole country will just collect unemployment. The Fed can just print few a few trillion dollars more to cover the borrowing and we'll have one big booming, bustling economy from all that demand, mmmkay?

obama059.jpg

Republicans think moving jobs to China and then cutting benefits for those who lost their jobs, makes this a better country and teaches those unemployed a lesson. Personally, I don't get it.

Only, its not republicans that moved jobs out. Ever heard of NAFTA?

Spending is spending.

Zeke, toothless stumpbroke of USMB, shows his ignorance of "broken window theory."

Really rabbit. You are now equating people receiving their UE benefits with criminals?

What the fuck is wrong with you asshole? Or do you really not know what the "broken window theory" states. Look it up stupid.

LOL!!! Zeke, Stumpbroke Dunce of USMB again shows his ignorance of all things economic.
Not that window theory, moron.

Hey rabbit, you got some fucking point you are trying to make?

What is "stump broke"? I keep asking, you keep avoiding. Why am I not surprised.

But go ahead rabbit. What is the difference to the economy between spending paycheck money and UE.
How does the economy differentiate between the two types of spending. UE vs paycheck.

Where4 does the money for each one come from, oh stumpbroke one?

The fucking source of the money was not the subject was it stupid? The topic was the effects of spending the money received by those drawing UE vs. a paycheck.

How does the economy differentiate between the two? You have no fucking clue do ya?

Oh so the crucial difference is actually irrelevant? So says, Zeke, toothless wonder of USMB. Let no topic go uncommented on, Zeke, no matter how little you know about it.

Spending is spending.

UE does NOT equal 1.6 times non UE money.

People pay rent to me and it does not increase my spending whether that money is UE or not. I spend about the same as I always have.

Really? You are a landlord? If your tenant doesn't pay the rent, that doesn't change your spending eh?

How's that work. When my tenants don't pay their rent as agreed, it definitely changes my spending. It changes my cash flow so I have to change my spending.

But being that your tenants do pay perfectly, you wouldn't care if they paid by a UE check or a payroll check. As long as they pay. Would that be correct? If so, the UE check has the same value to your business as a pay check. Is that correct? It works like that for all the other goods and service companies that UE checks are spent on.

I ask because you all act like there is no way that spending 6 billion dollars of UE money over three months would positively effect the economy.

Right wingers act like it will hurt the economy. How?

Will it create all the jobs claimed? Don't know. But more likely you would see more job loss if the long term unemployed have no money to spend.

Three month extension. Then take the hit if the unemployed can't find work and all go on another government program.

Unemployment sounds better than welfare.

please, the CBO assured us Obamacare was going to fund itself. who are they kidding?

Let me see if I understand this right. Being unemployed creates jobs and saving money is bad. I think that's more Liberal 101.

Forum List

Back