• Cornwall

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • la Bretagne - in France

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • no-where

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
I have been everywhere - except on the Isle of Man

I spent the night at Stonehenge while I hitch hiked around England.
Does that count?

After that I hitch hiked around Europe, the Balkans and then about 10 - 11 months in the Islamic Middle East just in time for the '73 War.
What fun...
Thanks,

Stonehenge

Stonehenge is perhaps the world’s most famous prehistoric monument. It was built in several stages: the first monument was an early henge monument, built about 5,000 years ago, and the unique stone circle was erected in the late Neolithic period about 2500 BC. In the early Bronze Age many burial mounds were built nearby.

Today, together with Avebury, Stonehenge forms the heart of a World Heritage Site, with a unique concentration of prehistoric monuments.

5.000 years ago - long before the Celts.

Only European Countries Ive been to are England and Iceland. Then Africa a couple times.
I think I would be interested in seeing Scottland perhaps.

Did anybody else also think that Stonehenge is Celtic?

Sorry - but a big NO!

NO and No an NO!

Stonehenge is NOT Celtic.

I know that Stonehenge predates the Celts but I seriously doubt that they simply ignored it. I'm sure that the Celts used it for festivals, worship or trying to make sense of the heavens.

It's far too impressive for the Celts not to have made some use of the structure.

Again, I do NOT believe that the Celts built Stonehenge but, obviously, some people do:

"Why Did The Celts Build Stonehenge?"​

EXCERPT "The Celts built Stonehenge for a variety of reasons. Some believe that it was a burial ground for Celtic royalty. Others believe that it was a ceremonial site used for rituals and sacrifices. Some even believe that it was a astronomical Observatory used to chart the movements of the stars and planets. Regardless of its original purpose, Stonehenge is an amazing feat of engineering and a fascinating mystery." CONTINUED

I know that Stonehenge predates the Celts but I seriously doubt that they simply ignored it. I'm sure that the Celts used it for festivals, worship or trying to make sense of the heavens.

It's far too impressive for the Celts not to have made some use of the structure.
Yes, I understand you now.
You are perfectly right here!

:)

Celtic Countries - where have you been?

You forgot Helvetia and other regions of Europe - as for example in the land of the Gauls - where the Celtic language just simple died out and was replaced with other languages. I guess a main reason for this phenomenon had been the talent for foreign languages of the Celts. When you compare for example the B-Irish (German "Bayerisch", international "Bavarians") with the Celts then you will find a wide spectrum of unusual nonsense games which are at home in both cultures. And also the temperament of Bavarians is often "Celtic" explosive - and only cooled down from stoicism and Christianity.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back