Christians Celebrated Christs Birth prior to Constantine

Right now some fevered atheist is typing me a diatribe about Jeremiah 10 absolutely CONVINCED they have nailed the truth about Christmas trees.

That's how illiterate they are about the Bible, but how arrogantly sure they are they are right. Unteachable, but horridly arrogant.

This is from Wikipedia.

Mosaic of Jesus as Christus Sol (Christ the Sun) in Mausoleum M in the third-century necropolis under St Peter's Basilica in Rome.[16]
Sextus Julius Africanus, a historian of the second century, maintained that Jesus of Nazareth was conceived on March 25, which the Christian Church came to celebrate as the Feast of the Annunciation.[17] With the term of a pregnancy being nine months, Sextus Julius Africanus held that Jesus was born on December 25, which the Western Christian Church established as Christmas.[17] Recorded in Sextus Julius Africanus's Chronographiai (221 AD), this thesis is corroborated by an interpretation of Gospel of Luke that places the appearance of Gabriel to Zechariah on the observance of Yom Kippur that occurs around October, as "the worshipers were praying outside of the Temple and not within" for "only the priest could enter the Temple at this time to conduct the proper rituals"; because Jesus was six months younger than his cousin John the Baptist, Jesus was conceived in March and born in late December.[18]
In 274 AD, Emperor Aurelian made a festival for Sol Invictus ("The Unconquered Sun"), originally a Syrian deity who was later adopted as the chief deity of the Roman Empire.[19] While some writers believe that this may have influenced the Christian feast of Christmas, other historians such as Louis Duchesne, Hieronymus Engberding and Thomas Talley maintain that the Christian feast of Christmas was already being celebrated and that Aurelian established Dies Natalis Solis Invicti in order to compete with the Christian feast of Christmas.

Christmas controversies - Wikipedia

Which one of these Brave Crusaders ever took on Muhammad at Ramadan, I have to wonder?

Any of you? Yes? No?

Stand up and be counted, Brave Internet Atheists.

Took on? I am perfectly willing to stand and be counted. What do you mean by "took on"?

Well there it is. History. And facts. Nice chatting with you Sue. Christmas and Solstice are a wonderful time of the year.

You didn't offer any history or facts. I asked you a question: do you worship the solstice? That would be strange, wouldn't it, worshiping the solstice? It's just the earth rotating, isn't it? Very mysterious to primitive humans surely, but not to modern humans.

But okay.
To your question. The answer is no. I do not worship anything. When did you equivocate the solstice with worshipping?

Because you equated it with Christmas and paganism. This seems obvious to me.

Well, it WAS the reason for the original holiday.

I don't worship the solstice. I am also not a Christian. But I celebrate Xmas.

What was the reason for the original holiday? The pagans worshiped the solstice. Christians worship Christ. We all borrow cultural artifacts from each other, like bringing pines in to our homes and such. What are you talking about?

So if it is ok for everyone to borrow cultural artifacts, why is it a problem for atheists and agnostics to celebrate Xmas?

Right now some fevered atheist is typing me a diatribe about Jeremiah 10 absolutely CONVINCED they have nailed the truth about Christmas trees.

That's how illiterate they are about the Bible, but how arrogantly sure they are they are right. Unteachable, but horridly arrogant.

Yes, there are arrogant, militant atheists. But they are the minority, for sure. Just like the arrogant, militant Christians.

You didn't offer any history or facts. I asked you a question: do you worship the solstice? That would be strange, wouldn't it, worshiping the solstice? It's just the earth rotating, isn't it? Very mysterious to primitive humans surely, but not to modern humans.

But okay.
To your question. The answer is no. I do not worship anything. When did you equivocate the solstice with worshipping?

What was the reason for the original holiday? The pagans worshiped the solstice. Christians worship Christ. We all borrow cultural artifacts from each other, like bringing pines in to our homes and such. What are you talking about?

So if it is ok for everyone to borrow cultural artifacts, why is it a problem for atheists and agnostics to celebrate Xmas?

It's not--I thought I had made that clear. I don't have a problem with it. I only have a problem with it when, as they do often do, they feel the need to lecture to Christians how we should not be celebrating our own holiday faithfully because Jesus didn't exist; he wasn't born in December; it used to be pagan and etc.

It's downright rude. It's bull-in-a-china-shop rude. To test this out, imagine atheists doing this to ANY OTHER FAITH GROUP in the world.

They.

Wouldn't.

Dare.

Yes, there are arrogant, militant atheists. But they are the minority, for sure. Just like the arrogant, militant Christians.

Jury's out on that. I would say 50-50 for atheists.

But okay.

Put another way:

"Hey! I see you have a nice birthday celebration going on here. Can I come? I can? cool. But I just want you to know, I'll eat the cake and the food and partake in the presents and sing the songs. But hey, you know, those decorations.... you didn't really invent those. I mean, just so you know. Oh, and this Birthday Boy you're celebrating? Yeah. He doesn't really exist. And even if He did, He's not all that great. I pretty much hate Him all year long, I just really like this party. I'm sure you understand.

What do you mean I'm not invited next year?"

I think you are overestimating the militant atheists. Most you would never know.

And there are plenty of Christians who demand their faith be recognized. You have only to spend time on these forums to see that.

I think you are overestimating the militant atheists. Most you would never know.

And there are plenty of Christians who demand their faith be recognized. You have only to spend time on these forums to see that.

What do you mean by "demand their faith be recognized"?

This is from Wikipedia.

Mosaic of Jesus as Christus Sol (Christ the Sun) in Mausoleum M in the third-century necropolis under St Peter's Basilica in Rome.[16]
Sextus Julius Africanus, a historian of the second century, maintained that Jesus of Nazareth was conceived on March 25, which the Christian Church came to celebrate as the Feast of the Annunciation.[17] With the term of a pregnancy being nine months, Sextus Julius Africanus held that Jesus was born on December 25, which the Western Christian Church established as Christmas.[17] Recorded in Sextus Julius Africanus's Chronographiai (221 AD), this thesis is corroborated by an interpretation of Gospel of Luke that places the appearance of Gabriel to Zechariah on the observance of Yom Kippur that occurs around October, as "the worshipers were praying outside of the Temple and not within" for "only the priest could enter the Temple at this time to conduct the proper rituals"; because Jesus was six months younger than his cousin John the Baptist, Jesus was conceived in March and born in late December.[18]
In 274 AD, Emperor Aurelian made a festival for Sol Invictus ("The Unconquered Sun"), originally a Syrian deity who was later adopted as the chief deity of the Roman Empire.[19] While some writers believe that this may have influenced the Christian feast of Christmas, other historians such as Louis Duchesne, Hieronymus Engberding and Thomas Talley maintain that the Christian feast of Christmas was already being celebrated and that Aurelian established Dies Natalis Solis Invicti in order to compete with the Christian feast of Christmas.

Oh so here we have another thread--we will have many this month, I assume--wherein non-Christians attempt to make themselves feel better about wanting to celebrate Christmas, when all the year long they hate on Christians. So we will be treated all month long to diatribes about how Christmas is pagan; Christmas is at the wrong time of year; Christ wasn't really resurrected; Mary wasn't really a Virgin, and blah blah blah.

All so the angry atheists can have their Christmas too. That's how juvenile and petty they are.

How about this, angry atheists. How about you just celebrate Christmas and get over it. And let us celebrate Christmas without having to dump all over OUR Christmas too.

You whiny little children. :lame2:
Lol, I am a Christian and pro-Christmas.

Maybe you should read the post prior to responding to it?

This is a Current Event? Jesus is a Sham? Christians and Pagans all adopted holidays for gain? Wiki is your new God, Jim.
Did you realize that it is after Thanksgiving and Christmas soon upon us?

Lay off the bong, dude.

Put another way:

"Hey! I see you have a nice birthday celebration going on here. Can I come? I can? cool. But I just want you to know, I'll eat the cake and the food and partake in the presents and sing the songs. But hey, you know, those decorations.... you didn't really invent those. I mean, just so you know. Oh, and this Birthday Boy you're celebrating? Yeah. He doesn't really exist. And even if He did, He's not all that great. I pretty much hate Him all year long, I just really like this party. I'm sure you understand.

Are you invited?
Am I invited?

You are invited, Sue. I like and respect, you.
Desert is served with whipped cream and ice cream here. And pumpkin pie, No joke.

Secure in your beliefs, my friend.
You would not have to blah and blah about it if you did a little reading. It is a pagan celebration.

Christmas is not a 'pagan celebration' simply because it falls on the same date, dude. Many holidays fall on the same date or very close together, but that doesnt mean one 'stole' the date from the other or is really secretly based on the other.

This is from Wikipedia.

Oh so here we have another thread--we will have many this month, I assume--wherein non-Christians attempt to make themselves feel better about wanting to celebrate Christmas, when all the year long they hate on Christians. So we will be treated all month long to diatribes about how Christmas is pagan; Christmas is at the wrong time of year; Christ wasn't really resurrected; Mary wasn't really a Virgin, and blah blah blah.

All so the angry atheists can have their Christmas too. That's how juvenile and petty they are.

How about this, angry atheists. How about you just celebrate Christmas and get over it. And let us celebrate Christmas without having to dump all over OUR Christmas too.

The article is titled "Christmas Controversies", and yes, I read it. And yes, both the wiki article and this thread had already turned into one wherein atheists attempt to make themselves feel better about celebrating Christmas.

Put another way:

Are you invited?
Am I invited?

You are invited, Sue. I like and respect, you.
Desert is served with whipped cream and ice cream here. And pumpkin pie, No joke.

You already came to the celebration and declared it's not a birthday party. Did you miss the point?

There are numerous reasons that we can be sure of that and The Jesus did not exist.
Jesus has had more impact on the politics and society of this planet than any other human being ever born. He had many biographies written about Him within 40 years of His death, unusual for the Ancient World, and countless biographies since then. He is also mentioned by several nonChristian sources and His followers at the time radically changed their behavior due to His influence on them to spread their Gospel message even to the point of death.

Of course Jesus existed as any rational person would realize absent brain killing ideology.

This is from Wikipedia.

The article is titled "Christmas Controversies", and yes, I read it. And yes, both the wiki article and this thread had already turned into one wherein atheists attempt to make themselves feel better about celebrating Christmas.

You stated "Oh so here we have another thread--we will have many this month, I assume--wherein non-Christians attempt to make themselves feel better "

Then why did you accuse me of being a nonChristian if you actually read it?

This is from Wikipedia.

You stated "Oh so here we have another thread--we will have many this month, I assume--wherein non-Christians attempt to make themselves feel better "

Then why did you accuse me of being a nonChristian if you actually read it?

I did not know whether you were a Christian by your OP, but other threads have already had posts where this has been brought up, and Erin had weighed in already when I posted. I didn't accuse you specifically of being a non-Christian, because I did not know and couldn't tell. But I surely know about Erin, and could surely predict what would happen.

No, I think the militant obnoxious atheists are only about 20% of the total. Most atheists I know in real life dont bother trying to browbeat Christians.

We just have that impression because the militant minority among atheists get 110% of the air time, kind of like anti-Evolutionists get almost all the air time and most people think that most Christians are opposed to Evolution Theory..

No, I think the militant obnoxious atheists are only about 20% of the total. Most atheists I know in real life dont bother trying to browbeat Christians.

We just have that impression because the militant minority among atheists get 110% of the air time, kind of like anti-Evolutionists get almost all the air time and most people think that most Christians are opposed to Evolution Theory..

I guess it would depend on what you call "militant". If you were just going to categorize militant, I agree with you. If you want to go with "obnoxious", I have to go at least 50-50 on that. But then, most of them are Progressives, and Progressives are almost always obnoxious...so there is that. heh

Forum List

Back