Christopher Tolkein steps down.

Christopher Tolkien resigns as Tolkien Estate director

And I think there will be more movies now because of it. Tolkein safeguarded his dads legacy for a very long time and I appreciate it. However, whomever takes over Christopher's place will probably begin selling the rights to the works.

There's a TV series in the works.
And I think this news is reason for it to be in the works. Christopher IS 93 years old. I guess he is tired.

I would rather see a series on "The Wheel of Time" or "The Belgariad".

In fact, a series on the old time space opera "Lensmen" would be great.

Andre Norton's Witch World.

Darkover.

McCaffrey's "Talents" series

or

The amazing "Flux and Anchor" series

The "True Game"

A spell for Chameleon series

Foundation

The Well of Souls

Ringworld

Octavia Butler's Pattern master Series

I'm so sick of Frodo and there is so much out there.

I'd like to know more about Galadriel.
`
`

JRR Tolkien had described Galadriel as "the mightiest and fairest of all the Elves that remained in Middle-earth" and the "greatest of elven women". Her daughter, in the book, was the wife of Elrond and the mother of Arwen.

Darkover.

or

The "True Game"

Foundation

The Well of Souls

Ringworld

There is so much fiction that could be treated, but Hollywood demands a proven formula.

That is why they fail.

Hollyweird has no imagination. Hence the re-dos all the time.

This is a Tolkein thread. Are those you listed Tolkein?
Have you looked at Tolkein books. It's not like they can all be shows or movies. He does a lot strange stories and bizarre allegories.

Like Farmer Giles of Ham

or Leif by Niggle.

The utterly boring Beowulf

then there are endless dissections of the four Hobbit Books. Even though the books themselves are some of the greatest literature of the 20th century.

He is so hit and boring miss.

Me personally, I like books where you are drawn in and so absorbed, you can't put them down. Like Lord of the Rings and the other Hobbit books. Too bad J.R.R couldn't do that with all his books. I haven't read them all because the boredom was killing me.

I'd like to know if anyone has read other Tolkien works other than The Hobbit or the trilogy. I once received a copy of the Silmarillion but never delved into it. I have to admit I'm not even remotely familiar with his other works.

Darkover.

or

The "True Game"

Foundation

The Well of Souls

Ringworld

There is so much fiction that could be treated, but Hollywood demands a proven formula.

That is why they fail.
I know. You would think they would learn by a visionary like Peter Jackson and the Lord of the Rings movies.

The Dune movie is so in between great and turkey. Not really in between but more like swings from one to the other.

Darkover.

or

The "True Game"

Foundation

The Well of Souls

Ringworld

That is why they fail.
I know. You would think they would learn by a visionary like Peter Jackson and the Lord of the Rings movies.

The Dune movie is so in between great and turkey. Not really in between but more like swings from one to the other.

Jackson shined with LOTR but farted with The Hobbit, and Kong.

The story of DUNE buried the Lynch version, yet it still interests as a damn good try. The studio was at fault as much as anyone by insisting on a two hour film. It would have been better as a Masterpiece Theater series.

It was quite good visually, save for the thopters, which weren't.

I'd like to know if anyone has read other Tolkien works other than The Hobbit or the trilogy. I once received a copy of the Silmarillion but never delved into it. I have to admit I'm not even remotely familiar with his other works.
I read some of the Silmarillion but tossed it. It's background material. Tolkien started it before he wrote the Hobbit and and it was published after he died. It was marketed as a study on Middle Earth. But it works better as a sedative.

Darkover.

or

The "True Game"

Foundation

The Well of Souls

Ringworld

That is why they fail.

Jackson shined with LOTR but farted with The Hobbit, and Kong.

The story of DUNE buried the Lynch version, yet it still interests as a damn good try. The studio was at fault as much as anyone by insisting on a two hour film. It would have been better as a Masterpiece Theater series.

It was quite good visually, save for the thopters, which weren't.
But you have to admit, all 5 of the movies you mentioned by Jackson were visually stunning. I don't know how I would improve Kong because the story really is limited, not a great quest. And the Hobbit was really just a prequel. For me, all five were worth the price of admission;. A feast for the eyes.

Forum List

Back