🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Chronic Lyme's Disease In Dog's

80zephyr

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2014
A few years ago, one of my dogs got Lyme's. The antibiotics worked, however, he would get reoccurring flare ups.

I tried all the vet recommended treatments, yet the flareups continued. I did some research on the disease, and was consulting with the vet, yet again, when he told me that I knew more about Lymes than he did.

Wow.

So, he told me that I could get any medicine I wanted to treat my pup, and that I should report any changes to him.

Well, I tried a couple of things, without success. But I think I may have hit on a solution.

After my dogs last episode, I gave him many more times the recommended dosage of the antibiotic, for 10 weeks, instead of the normal two.

Then, I put him on a preventative that included one antibiotic pill(100 mg Doxycycline) every day, and a 5mg tablet of prednisone every other day.

So far, my dog has been "normal" since. I have had the dog on this regime for over 6 months, in which time he would have suffered at least 2 flareups before.

My vet said his office has been swamped by Lymes problems in dogs, and that he was going to tell his clients about what I have done with my dog.

So, if you have a pup that has Lymes problems, you might want to talk to your vet and see if what I did for my dog works for yours.

If you try it, please remember that this "treatment" is a life long deal. Your dog will need to be medicated for life.

One more thing, if you try it, I would be interested in learning if it works for your dog.

Mark

Those are good reasons to keep the tics off with Frontline.
Frontline has become less effective, almost like there is becoming an immunity with the ticks and fleas. We have had to include capstar, sprays a d use frontline plus every 20 days to be able to keep a handle on fleas when they are active, which is most of the year here. The vet says others are having the same problem in our area. And our dogs are mostly indoor dogs, with tile floors. They may be outside at most 2 hours a day.

Forum List

Back