Citizens United | Ideological Hypocrisy & Reversal | Gun Control

Procrustes Stretched

This place is nothing without the membership.
Dec 1, 2008
Citizens United | Ideological Hypocrisy & Reversal | Gun Control

A long time ago I posted about supporting certain arguments on behalf of the Citizens United case. Around that time up until the Gun control issue, others were on ideologically dictated sides of the Citizens United case. No more. What a difference an ideological and emotional debate makes. :laugh2:

I have issues with one person having so much of a voice when the electorate is as uneducated and ill informed as they are in the USA, but I support the final result of Citizens United. CU is not the last word. The man who argued it agrees with this. I know others feel one can like the end result of a billionaire's Super PAC message while feeling distaste for the process that allows it all. Others believe in a free market type of process where anything goes when it comes to an individual and money equaling a voice.

I just get immense joy out of watching the democratic circus when things like Citizens United bump into Super PACs and Gun Control :cool:

---

Is Citizens United just misunderstood___link___?
Two years after the Supreme Court decision, a lawyer who argued the case says it has been unfairly smeared

By Justin Elliott Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 7:08 PM UTC

James Bopp

Illinois Governor Reverses Stance On Michael Bloomberg's PAC

“I think he has the right to speak,” Quinn says. Last week, the governor scolded Bloomberg for using “huge amounts of money” to dictate the gun-control-focused special election. posted on February 25, 2013 at 5:59pm EST

NY Mayor Bloomberg's PAC Boosts Winner In Chicago Race To Succeed Jackson, Jr.
2/26/2013 @ 9:24PM

Mayor Bloomberg to Spend Millions Through New Super-PAC
By Henry Goldman & Julie Bykowicz - Oct 17, 2012 9:00 PM PT

Bloomberg Starts ‘Super PAC,’ Seeking National Influence

By RAYMOND HERNANDEZ
Published: October 17, 2012

Last edited:
The people who attack Citizens United have never bothered reading it. They keep arguing it says that Corporations are people. It doesn't.

You cannot prevent people from advertising against an Incumbat 30 days before an election. It's against the First Amendment. Doesn't matter what individual or group of individuals is trying to say something, the government cannot silence them.

Do people seriously want politicians limited what their political opponents can say about them 30 days before an election? Does that sound intelligent to anyone? or does that sound like something that is immediately going to be misused by politicians wanting to remain in power?

Why the heck do you think it had bipartisan support?

Little matter, Robin Kelly will merely be another voice in the anti-gun crowd.
We will have a concealed carry bill. What it will ultimately look like is anyone's guess.

The people who attack Citizens United have never bothered reading it. They keep arguing it says that Corporations are people. It doesn't.

You cannot prevent people from advertising against an Incumbat 30 days before an election. It's against the First Amendment. Doesn't matter what individual or group of individuals is trying to say something, the government cannot silence them.

Do people seriously want politicians limited what their political opponents can say about them 30 days before an election? Does that sound intelligent to anyone? or does that sound like something that is immediately going to be misused by politicians wanting to remain in power?

Why the heck do you think it had bipartisan support?

The freedom of speech issue gets lost. Corporate personhood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think money can and does corrupt the process, but like Bishop I feel the way to remedy or more precisely deal with it is to address things like disclosure. No matter how much anyone spends if we know who is spending what, if it is not hidden, we can make more informed judgements.

But many conservatives who backed conservative Super PAC involvement in the recent election decried the Mayor of NYC using his Super PAC to address Gun Control in the election process. Many on the progressive left have cheered Mayor Bloomberg where they decried Adelson.

I wonder where the ACLU is lately. They did file briefs in support of some of Bishop's cases.

Little matter, Robin Kelly will merely be another voice in the anti-gun crowd.
We will have a concealed carry bill. What it will ultimately look like is anyone's guess.

The legal and constitutional principles and arguments matter more than what you say matters. The long term effect of all this is huge. Any individual law on gun control now passed is almost irrelevant to the arguments and principles addressed in Citizen United

Forum List

Back