Civil Rights Act enacted 1964..today

Democrats would have you believe that all those Southern Democrats switched Political Parties...

The party names - Democrats/Republicans - don't matter, because it simply comes down to is a north/south thing.

Congresspeople of the southern regions generally voted against black rights (regardless of party in the 1960's) and northerners generally voted for black rights.

So if you're trying to equate to today, simply figure out which party (out of the Repubs and Dems) represents the greatest number of folks from the north, and the greatest number of folks from the south.

Not perfect, but relatively accurate.

Last edited:
Democrats would have you believe that all those Southern Democrats switched Political Parties...

The party names - Democrats/Republicans - don't matter, because it simply comes down to is a north/south thing.

Congresspeople of the southern regions generally voted against black rights (regardless of party in the 1960's) and northerners generally voted for black rights.

So if you're trying to equate to today, simply figure out which party (ie the Repubs or Dems) represents the greatest number of folks from the north, and the greatest number of folks from the south.

Not perfect, but relatively accurate.

So essentially your saying that the Democrats of the North and especially the South get a pass on their voting records because they were against black rights and that was acceptable and a necessary cost of their re-election..do principles exist when Democrats face re-election?..and..do you like pretzels?

Last edited:
So essentially your saying that the Democrats of the North and especially the South get a pass on their voting records because they were against black rights and that was acceptable...do you like pretzels?

lol - what? When did I say anyone got a "pass" at anything?

I simply said that voting came down to a north/south thing. If the congressperson was from the south, he/she was much more likely to vote against the civil rights act (regardless of party).

We shouldn't be looking at this from a Democrat/Republican angle, we should be simply taking a north/south angle.

Pretzel? What's that supposed to mean?

So essentially your saying that the Democrats of the North and especially the South get a pass on their voting records because they were against black rights and that was acceptable...do you like pretzels?

I simply said that voting came down to a north/south thing. If the congressperson was from the south, he/she was much more likely to vote against the civil rights act (regardless of party).

We shouldn't be looking at this from a Democrat/Republican angle, we should be simply taking a north/south angle.

I rewrote my post, you may want to try again..oh, a play on pretzel logic.

I'm just a bit lost with what your point is. Let me try and rephrase...

If we want to figure out which party - of today - would likely be supporting the Civil rights act, all we have to do is see which party represents the most folks from the North and which party represents the most folks from the South.

As it stands:

Democrats - North
Republicans - South

Last edited:

If we want to figure out which party - of today - would likely be supporting the Civil rights act, all we have to do is see which party represents the most folks from the North and which party represents the most folks from the South.

As it stands:

Democrats - North
Republicans - South

You may enjoy reading this link..

The Democrat Race Lie | Black & Right

As it stands:

Democrats - North
Republicans - South

You're missing my point, as ultimately I am saying "f" the parties and labels; if we're going to talk about civil rights (especially when it comes to blacks) we need to look no further than what region the Congressperson was representing at the time of the vote.

If he/she represents the south, then generally he/she has voted against civil rights. If he/she represents the north, then generally he/she has voted in favor of civil rights. Get my point?

As I understand it, in the early 1900's - for example - the Republican Party represented a greater number of northern folk than it does today. Therefore, it had generally voted in favor of black rights.

But that has since changed, and now the Republicans are generally supported by a greater number of southern states.

The democraphic that makes up the Republican Party has changed over time, and therefore the overall party's values have ultimately changed (better in some ways, worse in others).

Last edited:

As it stands:

Democrats - North
Republicans - South

You're missing my point, as ultimately I am saying "f" the parties and labels; if we're going to talk about civil rights (especially when it comes to blacks) we need to look no further than what region the Congressperson was representing at the time of the vote.

If he/she represents the south, then generally he/she has voted against civil rights. If he/she represents the north, then generally he/she has voted in favor of civil rights. Get my point?

As I understand it, in the early 1900's - for example - the Republican Party represented a greater number of northern folk than it does today. Therefore, it had generally voted in favor of black rights.

But that has since changed, and now the Republicans are generally supported by a greater number of southern states.

The democraphic that makes up the Republican Party has changed over time, and therefore the overall party's values have ultimately changed (better in some ways, worse in others).

It's standard procedure for Democrats to employ the race issue as a wedge to divide the country with misinformation. Part of this misinformation is to make lame excuses for their historical racist past. To understand this is to apply critical thought and accept unwanted realities, I understand your difficulty...:eusa_angel:

It's standard procedure for Democrats to employ the race issue as a wedge to divide the country with misinformation. Part of this misinformation is to make lame excuses for their historical racist past. To understand this is to apply critical thought and accept unwanted realities, I understand your difficulty...:eusa_angel:

Lumps - What are you implying by this (bolded) response?

Not sure if you are trying to mock me or what, but let me re clarify...

My entire point is that racism in America - in a very general sense - is not tied to any one particular party throughout history. It is instead more closely correlated with geographical location.

Those who reside in the Southern states (when looking back at history) have tended to be more outwardly racist towards blacks than those who reside in the northern states.

Do you not agree with this?

Last edited:

Lumps - What are you implying by this (bolded) response?

Not sure if you are trying to mock me or what, but let me re clarify...

My entire point is that racism in America - in a very general sense - is not tied to any one particular party throughout history. It is instead more closely correlated with geographical location.

Those who reside in the Southern states (when looking back at history) have tended to be more outwardly racist towards blacks than those who reside in the northern states.

Do you not agree with this?

I believe political party affiliations of the Southern States of the past do matter, you'd rather not.

Do you agree that the Southern States were mainly represented by Democrats and they voted against the rights of African Americans?

I believe political party affiliations of the Southern States of the past do matter, you'd rather not.

Do you agree that the Southern States were mainly represented by Democrats and they voted against the rights of African Americans?

Depends on what rights vote you're talking. Here's the civil rights voting breakdown (yea-nay format):

The original House version:
Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)

Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)

The Senate version:
Southern Democrats: 1–20
Southern Republicans: 0–1

Northern Democrats: 45–1
Northern Republicans: 27–5

It's not a Democrat/Republican thing, it's North/South...

The northern Republicans and Democrats generally voted in FAVOR of black rights (in this instance), and the southern Republicans and Democrats generally voter AGAINST black rights.

Note - I'm not a Democrat and can care less about the Party (want to mention this because I think you're making the assumption that I'm trying to stick up for the Democrats). I feel the same way about the Republicans.

Last edited:

Depends on what rights vote you're talking. Here's the civil rights voting breakdown (yea-nay format):

The original House version:
Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)

Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)

The Senate version:
Southern Democrats: 1–20
Southern Republicans: 0–1

Northern Democrats: 45–1
Northern Republicans: 27–5

It's not a Democrat/Republican thing, it's North/South...

The northern Republicans and Democrats generally voted in FAVOR of black rights (in this instance), and the southern Republicans and Democrats generally voter AGAINST black rights.

Note - I'm not a Democrat and can care less about the Party (want to mention this because I think you're making the assumption that I'm trying to stick up for the Democrats). I feel the same way about the Republicans.

...So the tumbleweeds blow through the dusty little town and the characters shake hands and say, "Never the twain shall meet" and agree to disagree and have a beer....:beer:

Last edited:

To answer your question directly -

Yes (obviously, via statistics and facts) the southern states were represented mostly by the Democrats at the time of the Civil rights voting.

I don't dispute this at all.

Forum List

Back