Clean and unclean meat...

pacer

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2013
Does the New Testament abolish distinctions between clean and unclean meat?

I like the coming of Christ rendered everything in the Old Testament - save the Commandments - null, so I think the answer is yes.

Had Jesus nullifed everything in the Old Testament he would have been in direct disobedience of God's word of what would be clean and unclean along with a whole lot of other things.

Dietary laws as set out in the Old Testament make good sense if we stop and think about them. Pigs, crustaceans, etc. are all scavengers eating all the shit stuff and then we eat them. Very strict Jews go a step further and follow all the laws regarding what can and can't be put on the same plate and have different sets of dishes to always be used in keeping with that practice.

the requirements regarding unclean foods are related to preparing oneself for engaging in the sacrifices......making oneself righteous.....

if one believes that Christ's sacrifice on the cross eliminated the need for future sacrifices, it also eliminates the need to prepare oneself for them......

we no longer attempt to make ourselves righteous.....Christ makes us righteous....

the requirements regarding unclean foods are related to preparing oneself for engaging in the sacrifices......making oneself righteous.....

if one believes that Christ's sacrifice on the cross eliminated the need for future sacrifices, it also eliminates the need to prepare oneself for them......

we no longer attempt to make ourselves righteous.....Christ makes us righteous....
Is this an attempt at metaphor and Chuckt agrees? There are very specific foods listed in the OT which are forbidden and not forbidden. It has nothing to do with preparing oneself for sacrifice.

Leviticus 11 - Clean and Unclean Food - The LORD said - Bible Gateway

Does the New Testament abolish these distinctions?

Last edited:
Had Jesus nullifed everything in the Old Testament he would have been in direct disobedience of God's word of what would be clean and unclean along with a whole lot of other things.

Dietary laws as set out in the Old Testament make good sense if we stop and think about them. Pigs, crustaceans, etc. are all scavengers eating all the shit stuff and then we eat them. Very strict Jews go a step further and follow all the laws regarding what can and can't be put on the same plate and have different sets of dishes to always be used in keeping with that practice.

Goes a lot further than that. Very orthodox Jews actually sell their utensils and plates before major holidays since even having such things in your home is considered sinful.

I'm Jewish, but I'm not insane. :)

Goes a lot further than that. Very orthodox Jews actually sell their utensils and plates before major holidays since even having such things in your home is considered sinful.

Thank you, Delta. But this question is strictly about whether the distinction between clean and unclean meat in the OT has been abolished under the New Testament.

According to the following article, it hasn't. Christians are still required to make the distinction.

Does the New Testament Abolish Meat Distinctions? - Good News Magazine | United Church of God

NT's not my area of expertise, but I'd think it doesn't. If it did, as others have pointed out it'd be contravening commandmnets not to do so (Deuteronomy 13:1 'don't add to, or take away from Torah.') But, not every Jewish commandment binds non-Jews. Some do, some apply to everyone, but by and large most are only applicable to Jews. Looking it up:

+149) To determine that an animal is kosher before eating it

Application to gentiles:
Recommended
Mandated punishment for violation:
None
Brief description:
To eat only animals that are defined by Torah Law as being kosher — those that are ruminants with cloven hooves. Jews are strictly bound by this commandment, while gentiles are not; but gentiles do earn extra reward from G-d for choosing to follow this rule exactly as Jews must. Except where poverty limits a person’s options, a gentile would be wise to avoid the spiritually blemishing effects on one’s soul from eating non-kosher animals.

Examples of kosher animals: cows, sheep, goats, deer, bison.

Examples of non-kosher animals: pigs, rabbits, all reptiles.
Category:
Optional Commandments
Biblical source(s) (Rambam): Lev. 11:2
Biblical source (Sefer HaChinuch): Lev. 11:2-3
Number in Sefer HaChinuch: 153
Sources explaining relevance to gentiles:
(See bibliography)

* Midrash Rabbah, Koheles 1:9 (#1)
In the future, gentiles will claim their reward for not having eaten pigs, or for not having eaten neveilos, tereifos, shekatzim, or remasim; implicitly criticizes gentiles for having eaten these.

Thank you, Delta. But this question is strictly about whether the distinction between clean and unclean meat in the OT has been abolished under the New Testament.

According to the following article, it hasn't. Christians are still required to make the distinction.

Does the New Testament Abolish Meat Distinctions? - Good News Magazine | United Church of God

Wasn't going to address the specific question initially since it's not my religion or right to do so, but remembering a Hasdic site that mentions whether Jewish laws apply to Gentiles, I did above.

As to what a Christian denomination says, I'd think it'll go either way depending on the denomination. But since the laws in question are specificly Jewish, what non-Jews say ultimately isn't terribly important ;)

Is this an attempt at metaphor and Chuckt agrees? There are very specific foods listed in the OT which are forbidden and not forbidden. It has nothing to do with preparing oneself for sacrifice.

Leviticus 11 - Clean and Unclean Food - The LORD said - Bible Gateway

Does the New Testament abolish these distinctions?

????....no, it has nothing to do with "metaphore" and it is absurd to say it has nothing to do with making oneself "clean" for sacrifice.....that is a theme of overriding importance throughout the OT.....does the NT abolish it?....yes, specifically......

are you being silly?......

the answer to your question is provided quite clearly in Hebrews, particularly chapter 9.......

Hebrews 9 NIV - Worship in the Earthly Tabernacle - Now - Bible Gateway
It has nothing to do with the passages to which you refer. Here is an article you may be interested in reading. Bottom line, according to the article, Christians are still required to observe the distinctions of the OT with regard to clean and unclean meat.

Last edited:

No. What was abolished was the traditional belief that the subject of clean or unclean flesh was about what one should make for dinner.

According to the NT, Jesus taught that the subjects of the law were not about what you literally eat or what you wear but what you teach and learn and how you consequently behave. Hence the command to eat his flesh based on the OT directive in Deuteronomy 18:18 to receive the words God would give his chosen prophet that convey the hidden nature of all of his commands.

Some teaching heals, cleanses, and edifies the mind while other teaching is vile and defiles and contaminates the mind and leads to degrading practices.

Jesus removed the burden of the law which is the death consequent for noncompliance by teaching and demonstrating the only right way to understand and apply divine law that results in the promise of eternal life fulfilled.

If one does not eat his flesh,( accept this teaching), and drink his blood, (follow his example) they cannot have the eternal life promised for obedience to divine law in them.

Last edited:
the answer to your question is provided quite clearly in Hebrews, particularly chapter 9.......

Hebrews 9 NIV - Worship in the Earthly Tabernacle - Now - Bible Gateway
It has nothing to do with the passages to which you refer. Here is an article you may be interested in reading. Bottom line, according to the article, Christians are still required to observe the distinctions of the OT with regard to clean and unclean meat.

/shrugs....perhaps according to the religion of Pacerism......not, however to Christianity......

from the above....
Most theologians assume that God's laws regarding clean and unclean meats ended at Christ's crucifixion. They suppose that the New Covenant removes any need for Christians to keep such laws. But is that what the Bible really says?

yes....see the book of Hebrews.......next question?.....

Last edited:
pacer,

re: "Does the New Testament abolish distinctions between clean and unclean meat?"

Nowhere in the NT that I am aware of.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with the topic. See my link. :)

/shrugs.........then despite the question phrased in the OP, your topic has nothing to do with the Bible.......

I felt like it was a leading question so I decided not to answer it.

Never answer leading questions unless you know the answer.

You don't know whether the distinction between clean and unclean flesh was abolished in the NT or not?

even with all of your diplomas, licenses, certificates and all of the books lining the walls of your study?

astonishing!

Forum List

Back