Compare this to the comments about Black people and their Dialect

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
A push to restore pride in the way Appalachians speak - The Washington Post

West Virginia University linguist Kirk Hazen is among a wave of scholars seeking to put to rest “Beverly Hillbillies”-style myths and stigmas about Appalachia.

Three books in the past year and a fourth to be published soon challenge these century-old stereotypes by noting, among other points, that Appalachian residents speak a variety of Englishes — and not a single monolithic dialect — and that scorn for the region’s speech is often based on outdated notions of how they talk.

snip

In southwest Virginia, English professor Amy D. Clark has held summer workshops for 15 years to help rural teachers teach students to write effectively without shaming them about their speech. The same message runs through teaching units on dialect for schoolchildren in North Carolina and West Virginia.

“You’re trying to get across the idea that all language varieties are legitimate. There’s not one that’s somehow damaged and then others that are just fine,” Hazen said.

snip

Despite Hazen’s research, many outsiders still have negative impressions about mountain accents, sometimes based on outdated speech features. It can take decades for perceptions to change.

The interview questions turn to how outsiders react to Smyth and Culicerto’s accents.

“I think they look at me and they’re like: ‘Oh my gosh, she lives way back in the holler ... and is so redneck!’” said Smyth, who’s 17.

Increasingly, educators are seeking improve students’ confidence and test scores with novel ways of teaching grammar.

Now when, you bring up blacks and "ebonics" there was this huge cry about people not learning properly and lowering the bar. but but but NOW, ......This must be liberals fault!

510KSD4RKSL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

are you people so out of everything you are now talking about black people and their Dialect?

SERIOUSLY?

West Virginia University linguist Kirk Hazen is among a wave of scholars seeking to put to rest “Beverly Hillbillies”-style myths and stigmas about Appalachia.

Three books in the past year and a fourth to be published soon challenge these century-old stereotypes by noting, among other points, that Appalachian residents speak a variety of Englishes — and not a single monolithic dialect — and that scorn for the region’s speech is often based on outdated notions of how they talk.

snip

In southwest Virginia, English professor Amy D. Clark has held summer workshops for 15 years to help rural teachers teach students to write effectively without shaming them about their speech. The same message runs through teaching units on dialect for schoolchildren in North Carolina and West Virginia.

“You’re trying to get across the idea that all language varieties are legitimate. There’s not one that’s somehow damaged and then others that are just fine,” Hazen said.

snip

Despite Hazen’s research, many outsiders still have negative impressions about mountain accents, sometimes based on outdated speech features. It can take decades for perceptions to change.

The interview questions turn to how outsiders react to Smyth and Culicerto’s accents.

“I think they look at me and they’re like: ‘Oh my gosh, she lives way back in the holler ... and is so redneck!’” said Smyth, who’s 17.

Increasingly, educators are seeking improve students’ confidence and test scores with novel ways of teaching grammar.

Now when, you bring up blacks and "ebonics" there was this huge cry about people not learning properly and lowering the bar. but but but NOW, ......This must be liberals fault!

Ignorance is not a language - ignorance is merely ignorance.

are you people so out of everything you are now talking about black people and their Dialect?

SERIOUSLY?

Do you expect assclowns to have a serious discussion on important matters like national debt and a balanced budget?

snip

snip

epic fail

they are teaching people how to communicate in everyday English while.

It's not the same thing as teaching ebonics so people can understand wtf city people are saying.

snip

snip

epic fail

It's not the same thing as teaching ebonics so people can understand wtf city people are saying.

Uh no, they are saying that there is no correct english (when they're white)

snip

snip

Sounds like moronic bullshit.

snip

snip

epic fail

uh, bullshit.

epic hate thread fail

now go beat yourself black

snip

snip

epic fail

uh, bullshit.

epic hate thread fail

now go beat yourself black

Sorry, thats what they said, I'm just the messenger. Cry about it

snip

snip

Ignorance is not a language - ignorance is merely ignorance.
Are you inferring Appalachians are ignorant?

Forum List

Back