Compare this to the comments about Black people and their Dialect

The whole idea of language is a means of communication. English has NO HARD AND FAST GRAMMAR RULES! It is not like one of the romance languages with gender specified nouns. English does not demand specific syntax in a sentence. All the rules and regulations are culturally imposed.

Urban youth, Appalachians, New Englanders, southern Californians all speak English, but with different dialects. And yet they are all understood.

The goal is to encourage kids to read and write. Imposing false rules on the use of the lingua franca is a means of discouraging the very thing that should be encouraged, i.e. a more vibrant use of language and a greater facilitation of kids language skills..

The whole idea of language is a means of communication. English has NO HARD AND FAST GRAMMAR RULES! It is not like one of the romance languages with gender specified nouns. English does not demand specific syntax in a sentence. All the rules and regulations are culturally imposed.

Urban youth, Appalachians, New Englanders, southern Californians all speak English, but with different dialects. And yet they are all understood.

The goal is to encourage kids to read and write. Imposing false rules on the use of the lingua franca is a means of discouraging the very thing that should be encouraged, i.e. a more vibrant use of language and a greater facilitation of kids language skills..

"More vibrant use"?

If you speak with poor grammar, you are sending the message that you are uneducated.

The fact that English grammar rules are a mess is irrelevant to that fact.

THese educators are pushing a line of bullshit.

"More vibrant use"?

If you speak with poor grammar, you are sending the message that you are uneducated.

What's 'poor grammar'? There are no hard and fast rules of grammar in the English language. Concentrating on these non-existent rules stunts language performance. The point is to encourage kids to read and write. Imposing archaic and fallacious rules of grammar discourages communication.

"More vibrant use"?

What's 'poor grammar'? There are no hard and fast rules of grammar in the English language. Concentrating on these non-existent rules stunts language performance. The point is to encourage kids to read and write. Imposing archaic and fallacious rules of grammar discourages communication.

THe point is to teach kids to read and write, correctly.

Imposing "archaic and fallacious rules of grammar" is a big part of that.

These educators might be happy to take the time to learn the local dialect and judge their students under the rules of that regional grammar.

But no would be employer, or teacher outside of their local will do that.

These "teachers" are setting these kids up to fail.

Or at the very least, limiting their opportunities.

Does this mean liberals will stop letting me know every time I misspell a word?

Uh no, they are saying that there is no correct english (when they're white)
Yeah, and theyre as stupid as you are. So what?

He believes that since the people in question are white, that we cons will support this.

He thinks that because he assumes that the only reason we were against the teaching of ebonics is because of black.

He is completely unaware of how off base he is with his understanding of us and our motives for our various positions.

And the fact that our response is completely different from what he expected will NOT be seen as evidence that he was mistaken in his assumptions.

LIbs don't play that game.

He knows we are Evul and nothing will ever shake that belief.

Are you inferring Appalachians are ignorant?

I am pointing out that you don't know what the word "infer" means.

Also that those who cannot grasp the basic structure and rules of the English language are ignorant.
I am ''inferring' and you are 'implying'.

So, given American English has no grammar rules, could you explain why you think teaching these non-existent rules is a good thing?

"More vibrant use"?

You mean they ain't got no stinking rules in the English language.

I demand a re-score on all those essays I wrote in college and highschool.

"More vibrant use"?

If your essays were understandable to the reader, that's all that matters.

Poor grammar is what is being taught . . . er, not learned? in school. Many of today's youth truly suck at reading, writing (and math). They can't seem to grasp that there actually is a difference between your and you're or that the subject and the verb need to agree with each other and that yes, it does matter, as it reflects poorly on the individual using poor grammar. As confusing as the rules of English grammar are, that's what helps kids to learn to read and write better.

Also that those who cannot grasp the basic structure and rules of the English language are ignorant.

So, given American English has no grammar rules, could you explain why you think teaching these non-existent rules is a good thing?

Because otherwise they are unable to present their ideas in a manner that will be respected in the wider world.

"More vibrant use"?

If your essays were understandable to the reader, that's all that matters.

No, no it is not.

Presentation matters.

Because otherwise they are unable to present their ideas in a manner that will be respected in the wider world.
So you would impose a cultural standard that has nothing to do with the realities of the language. You would make socio-economic judgments about a person's speech. How would that work in the case of a prodigy from rural West Virginia? Or from Compton, California? And how does that cultural template encourage a young person to write and read more?

Black dialect transcending region is the perfect illustration of the manifestation of democrat bigotry.
Appalachians or any region maintaining regional dialect within that region is perfectly normal and assimilated. Blacks speaking southern American English in the name of skin color is pure racism.
Illiteracy is illiteracy regardless of dialect.
Dialect predicts more about someone than anything else.

so all those years of slugging away at learning grammar rules was all a lie?!

Public school lied to me!?!?!

Forum List

Back