Congressman Alcee Hastings (D) Says $174K Salary Isn't Enough to Live On

He may have a point. It costs $47 to park a car at a Nationals game and a round trip metro fare to the game is about $9 per person.
That's why I ride my bike there.

flamingtext_com_MTQ0NzI3MTA2NjM.jpg
That's exactly my point.

Oh but they aren't executives. They are public servants.

Public servants should work for the median wage?

In public service, like everything else.......you get what you pay for
If you insist on low wages, you will get people commensurate with that wage

If you want good quality executives, you need to pay a competitive wage

No kidding. But for $174 K we get idiots like Grayson and much of the CBC.
In the private sector, they'd be lucky to earn above the poverty level.

They will get paid substantially more when they eventually move to the private sector
They get that kind of cash because of the position they held in public office. They can get elected and keep their job with virtually no skills. Incumbents are usually re-elected--regardless of their record. To complain about salary is asinine. Nevermind the fact that most of the electorate thinks Congress is doing a crappy job.
To anyone holding elected office and thinks they're not getting paid well enough: resign and go home--and up your butt with a coconut! :mad-61:

No kidding. But for $174 K we get idiots like Grayson and much of the CBC.
In the private sector, they'd be lucky to earn above the poverty level.

They will get paid substantially more when they eventually move to the private sector

The sooner the better. And in the interest of saving future elected officials from similar suffering, we must immediately impose term limits. For their own good.

It must really suck to be the Congressman or Senator who draws the short straw on having to publicly make the case for raises.

You guys do realize that every single one of them wants that raise, right?

When I worked in NY, every year there would be a bill in the State Senate to raise senator's wages by almost 300%. It would never get out of committee, but the raise was always for the same amount. I asked one of my colleagues what that was about, and he said that that raise would have just topped how much the New York City Council made.

The left cries all the time about CEO's make so much more then employees....
Do they feel the same outrage in regard to members of Congress and the Senate making so much more then their staff?

CEOs get to sit on their butts and do nothing for their money so basically the two have that in common. Zero stress . Meanwhile the average working guy has all the stress while the CEO walks away laughing all the way to the bank. Sean Duffy said something like that too and he is a guy I voted for... but I won't make that mistake again.

The left cries all the time about CEO's make so much more then employees....
Do they feel the same outrage in regard to members of Congress and the Senate making so much more then their staff?

One of those "so muchs" that you're using in your ridiculous analogy is a lot more than the other.

Further testament to the fact that both houses of Congress view themselves no longer as public servants, but corporate lobbyists wanting business rates for their time allotted.

Sorry. All those Senators, Congressman and those that work in DC think they are better than everyone else.

They are public servants no matter how grand a title theyhave. Why should we taxpayers pay them more. Hell. Add up all those perks along with retirement and payed HC and they are doing quite well.

They do far better than a lot of people. Me included.
You think you are better than me?

You should earn no more than the guy sweeping the Senate floor

Congressmen and Senators should earn $250K
The President should earn $1 mil

They would still be under paid

Congressmen and Senators should earn $250K
The President should earn $1 mil

They would still be under paid
I would agree, if they actually read the bills they pass, and do something of real benefit to the country.

Instead, we get bailouts for corporations, out of control fracking, lost wars, deficits, unemployment, poverty, no credible public health system, student debt, riots, crumbling infrastructure, budget blowouts, and government shutdowns.

"

Instead, we get bailouts for corporations, out of control fracking, lost wars, deficits, unemployment, poverty, no credible public health system, student debt, riots, crumbling infrastructure, budget blowouts, and government shutdowns.

Well said. Very true. Those at the very top (rich) want to keep it this way.

Whenever tax increases are being discussed, $250K is barely middle class.

When public employee pay is being discussed, $250K is way too much.

Most congressmen are rich. They don't need the money.

Are you suggesting that we determine salary based on need?
I don't think I said that.

Personally I'd rather see a cap on personal wealth for politicians and have all national elections and politicians paid a living wage.

Whenever tax increases are being discussed, $250K is barely middle class.

When public employee pay is being discussed, $250K is way too much.

Most congressmen are rich. They don't need the money.

Are you suggesting that we determine salary based on need?
I don't think I said that.

Personally I'd rather see a cap on personal wealth for politicians and have all national elections and politicians paid a living wage.

Why?

rep hastings was rated as the LEAST wealthiest us representative in Congress..... I don't know if that justifies his opinion on getting a raise, but he is clearly not richer than any person in congress, he is the poorest person in Congress...and probably has money problems imo....

doesn't each congressmen get an additional allowance for their staying in washington dc? And don't they get their airfare paid, back and forth to their home states by the gvt? Or does that come out of their own salary?

And, I've always wondered, WHY are they even paid with federal money? Why aren't the States paying for their own US congressmen and their own US Senators?

to me, 174k seems like a lot of money to pay congressmen...when we are running deficits....but, I don't know what all they have to pay for out of their own pockets...

Forum List

Back