Congressmen Demand DHS Explain 1.6 Billion Bullets Purchase

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
By Tim Brown
Mar. 19, 2013

Congressman Leonard Lance (R-NJ) has come out and demanded that Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano explain why the Department of Homeland Security has been engaging in huge amounts of purchases of ammunition over the past year. Rep. Lance has called on Congress to get involved in ascertaining DHS’ stockpiling of ammunition which is enough to wage a 20 year plus war, which has most certainly caused a shortage in the public market.

“I think Congress should ask the Department about both of those issues and I would like a full explanation as to why that has been done and I have every confidence that the oversight committee ….should ask those questions,” said Lance.

“Congress has a responsibility to ask Secretary Napolitano as to exactly why these purchases have occurred,” added the New Jersey congressman.

Lance said the he was “concerned” and that he wanted to make sure that Americans continued to live in a country that was based upon freedom and individual rights. He also hoped that DHS would step forward and answer the question candidly.

Congressman Lance is not the only representative in Washington asking ‘Big Sis’ why she is purchasing large amounts of ammunition. We Are Change’s Luke Rudkowski interviewed Congressman Timothy Huelscamp (R-KS) at the 2013 CPAC on his decision to vote against the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) and also asked they also discussed Obama’s Disposition Matrix and the large ammunition purchases made by the DHS.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Congressmen Demand DHS Explain 1.6 Billion Bullets Purchase

The issue is pretty transparent to people intelligent enough to put two and two together. You will, most definitely, be labeled as some kind of "nutter", or conspiracy "nut", and be told to put your tinfoil hat back on, but that shouldn't stop you from preparing yourself for what the libs and their trained ape government reps tell you can never happen.

P.S. I'll take my tax refund in ammo, thanks.

I doubt they'll get any answers to their questions since this administration seems to operate on the assumption that what they do is no one's business but their own.

Nobody said they were buying 1.6 billion rounds of ammo

Just the hysterical right

Libs, keep your heads in the sand. Would hate to disillusion you regarding your idols.

Libs, keep your heads in the sand. Would hate to disillusion you regarding your idols.

Maybe you can actually show where they have purchased 1.6 billion rounds?

You keep posting these stupid threads even though you keep getting proved to be wrong

You keep posting these stupid threads even though you keep getting proved to be wrong

Which part needs proving? That DHS has decided to buy 1.6 billion rounds? It has been widely reported by both right and left wing news sources and the AP. Even the Huffington Post has a piece about it, though their take is a little different than the "Freedom Outpost" link in the OP. Huffpo's article says that "Federal solicitations to buy the bullets are known as "strategic sourcing contracts," which help the government get a low price for a big purchase", needed because training centers "run by the Homeland Security Department use as many as 15 million rounds every year, mostly on shooting ranges and in training exercises."

They also claim that DHS will only be keeping 750 million rounds; the rest are for ICE. So let's see, 750 million rounds for training that uses "as many as" 15 million rounds; that's a 50 year supply. Seems like the Congress has a right to question why they need so many (and why ICE needs so many as well). Buying in bulk to save what I'm sure is a relatively small percentage of the total is not a reasonable response to the purchase of a 50 year supply.

Homeland Security Explains Plan To Purchase More Than 1.6 Billion Bullets: Buying In Bulk Is Cheaper

Which part needs proving? That DHS has decided to buy 1.6 billion rounds? It has been widely reported by both right and left wing news sources and the AP. Even the Huffington Post has a piece about it, though their take is a little different than the "Freedom Outpost" link in the OP. Huffpo's article says that "Federal solicitations to buy the bullets are known as "strategic sourcing contracts," which help the government get a low price for a big purchase", needed because training centers "run by the Homeland Security Department use as many as 15 million rounds every year, mostly on shooting ranges and in training exercises."

They also claim that DHS will only be keeping 750 million rounds; the rest are for ICE. So let's see, 750 million rounds for training that uses "as many as" 15 million rounds; that's a 50 year supply. Seems like the Congress has a right to question why they need so many (and why ICE needs so many as well). Buying in bulk to save what I'm sure is a relatively small percentage of the total is not a reasonable response to the purchase of a 50 year supply.

Homeland Security Explains Plan To Purchase More Than 1.6 Billion Bullets: Buying In Bulk Is Cheaper

The point is that they have not "decided" to buy 1.6 billion rounds. They have a five year contract that allows them to buy up to that amount at reduced rates. The more they buy the lower cost per bullet

The point is that they have not "decided" to buy 1.6 billion rounds. They have a five year contract that allows them to buy up to that amount at reduced rates. The more they buy the lower cost per bullet

No, the point is not that they haven't purchased them yet; that much is accurate. The point is, why contract for 750 million bullets if you only plan to purchase 75 million? It isn't reasonable to assume that they do not plan to acquire a significantly higher number than their training requirements dictate; it's not worth quibbling over whether that number is 750 million or 500 million, it's still a lot of bullets. They have already awarded a contract for "up to" 450 million rounds to ATK for hollow points; note their press release last March:
ATK Secures .40 Caliber Ammunition Contract with Department of Homeland Security, U.S.... -- ANOKA, Minn., March 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

Sorry, I think it's reasonable to question the need for the amounts they are "able" to buy under these agreements. That doesn't mean everyone thinks they are preparing to herd people into FEMA camps.

I agree. "Up to 1.6 Billion Rounds" doesn't mean "1.6 Billion Rounds".

No, the point is not that they haven't purchased them yet; that much is accurate. The point is, why contract for 750 million bullets if you only plan to purchase 75 million? It isn't reasonable to assume that they do not plan to acquire a significantly higher number than their training requirements dictate; it's not worth quibbling over whether that number is 750 million or 500 million, it's still a lot of bullets. They have already awarded a contract for "up to" 450 million rounds to ATK for hollow points; note their press release last March:
ATK Secures .40 Caliber Ammunition Contract with Department of Homeland Security, U.S.... -- ANOKA, Minn., March 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

Sorry, I think it's reasonable to question the need for the amounts they are "able" to buy under these agreements. That doesn't mean everyone thinks they are preparing to herd people into FEMA camps.

The reason is that "this year" we may choose to take advantage of a high volume buy to obtain lower cost ammunition. We structure the contract so that we can make that volume buy in any of the five contract years.

It does not mean we buy the maximum allowed every year

The reason is that "this year" we may choose to take advantage of a high volume buy to obtain lower cost ammunition. We structure the contract so that we can make that volume buy in any of the five contract years.

It does not mean we buy the maximum allowed every year

So it's your assertion that, although they have made arrangements to buy as many as 450 million rounds, they'll only end up buying, what, 75 million? And this is based upon what evidence again?

I agree they may not fulfill the entire order, but I think it's doubtful that they will underfill it to the extent you apparently believe they will. Since neither of us will know until 2017, I stand by my statement that it's reasonable that DHS should explain why they need the availability of such a large order, and go on record if they plan to only buy 15-20% of it.

Forum List

Back