Conservatives: how much money do you think billionaires are obligated to give...

...to charitable causes?

I am not suggesting that we come up with laws that requires billionaires to give to charity, but I do think billionaires have a responsibility to use part of their fortune to better mankind.

I have a lot of respect for billionaires like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg who plan to give half their fortune to charity after they die. To me, that is the right thing to do.

In your opinion, how much should a billionaire give while they are still alive? Throw out a percentage.

How much money should a person give if they are worth 1 billion? 5 billion?

They don't have to give anything.

The OP is poorly worded. It's asking two different questions. First it says "obligated", which suggests involuntary, and then it says "should", which is voluntary.

I believe he means "obligated by conscience" or by "ethics", not by law. But I notice a lot of posters choosing to interpret it the first way so that they can dance around the second. :eusa_whistle:

Slice it any way you wish "obligated" means "you must do it."

They are not obligated to provide any charity.........

They can choose to fund any cause they wish, in any amount they wish regardless of of where and how much progressive idiots think they should.

They don't have to give anything.

The OP is poorly worded. It's asking two different questions. First it says "obligated", which suggests involuntary, and then it says "should", which is voluntary.

I believe he means "obligated by conscience" or by "ethics", not by law. But I notice a lot of posters choosing to interpret it the first way so that they can dance around the second. :eusa_whistle:

Slice it any way you wish "obligated" means "you must do it."

Yes it does. And "should" means "voluntary". That's what I'm saying about mixed messages in the OP.

It's just instructive which meaning posters choose to address and which one they choose to avoid.

and when did the draft come back?

It will come back the next time there's a war big enough to require it. You aren't so ignorant as to not know that young men still register for selective service are you?

My guess is you are.

Being required to register for Selective Service is a long ways from being required to "give their lives for the good of the country".

I'm not going to ask you about your ignorance, that much is perfectly clear.

If you want to argue that no draftees died fighting in Vietnam, or Korea, or WWII, for starters,

by all means, let's hear it.

Don't the rich give enough already? The average family on welfare receives about $40,000/year. In 2010 and 2011, Mitt Romney paid over 6 million in income tax, in effect, supporting 150 of those families.
What did he receive in return for his 6 million that everyone else didn't?

Conservative coddling of the Rich is downright creepy.

It's the coddling and preservation of Capitalism that makes liberals feel creepy. True coddling of the rich is turning over all wealth and power to a select elite and eliminating upward mobility. Now that is creepy.

It will come back the next time there's a war big enough to require it. You aren't so ignorant as to not know that young men still register for selective service are you?

My guess is you are.

Being required to register for Selective Service is a long ways from being required to "give their lives for the good of the country".

If you want to argue that no draftees died fighting in Vietnam, or Korea, or WWII, for starters,

Your statement wasn't in the past tense.

"If we can require young men to give their lives for the good of the country, then we can certainly require billionaires to give money for the good of the country."

Once again your ignorance is in plain view.

My guess is you are.

Are you saying that billionaires don't give any money at all to charity?

Let's hear it.

Used to be loads of rich who gave to charity of which Carnegie was one.

From what I've read of him he gave buckets of money to charity as did many of the other uber wealthy in America.

That all changed when the Govt decided that we the taxpayer should fund all the social bs in America.

"If we can require young men to give their lives for the good of the country, then we can certainly require billionaires to give money for the good of the country."

If you want to argue that we no longer CAN require young men to give their lives for their country, by all means do so.

Start by proving that it is no longer possible to draft men into the service.

If you want to argue that we no longer CAN require young men to give their lives for their country, by all means do so.

That's a deeply seeded logical fallacy right there. I dont think you'll ever recover.

Fact is no one today is obligated to join the military. They might at some point in the future. But, in reality, billionaires are one stock gamble away from being impoverished themselves and plenty of them have been.

Billionaires are not obligated to give a single cent to anyone. If they do, and plenty of them do, they do it because they made a choice to do so.

My personal policy is to not give a cent to any charity that benefits people. If I was a billionaire, I still would not give a cent to any charity that benefits people. That's my money, my choice.

My guess is you are.

That was not my question fool and if you want to bring that up what was the taxes on the upper class at back then? wonder if you would post the truth, Lmao......

As it stands now, we can't. The Congress and the President must re-instate the draft before anyone can be drafted.

And I doubt that would ever happen for the simple fact that although it would increase the numbers serving it would not increase it's effectiveness because the military would be forced to accept everyone, regardless of criminal/drug/medical/test score qualifications.

It's not numbers that count. It's training and technology. IMO

Conservatives have conveniently forgotten that Romney wanted to eliminate or reduce the charity tax deduction,

which would have disincentivized billionaires from giving to charity.

Fact is no one today is obligated to join the military. They might at some point in the future. But, in reality, billionaires are one stock gamble away from being impoverished themselves and plenty of them have been.
Billionaires are not obligated to give a single cent to anyone. If they do, and plenty of them do, they do it because they made a choice to do so.

My personal policy is to not give a cent to any charity that benefits people. If I was a billionaire, I still would not give a cent to any charity that benefits people. That's my money, my choice.

Name the people who went from being billionaires to poverty.

That's a deeply seeded logical fallacy right there. I dont think you'll ever recover.

It shouldn't be hard for you to explain why then.

Forum List

Back