Contact Congressmen About THIS. Now.

So all these busineses are being run by idiots, and you (in all your wisdom) just want to save them? By putting the gov't in charge of their call centers and customer service phone lines? lol

Because the gov't is SO much more efficient. Ever try calling the VA to schedule and appointment? lol
Not the idea. I want to save us from telephone torture. But maybe you like it ? Whatever.

Not all businesses do that shit. When I run into one I put the effort into finding an acceptable alternative that doesn't. OK, sometimes it's not possible but surprisingly often it is. Also, if you have no choice but finally connect with a helpful person ask for their direct number or extension number for when you need to call again.

And you will.

Need to.
Good idea. Sometimes you can get directly through that way.

You'll have to excuse me if I am not on board with expanding the government and more business regulations b/c you get annoyed by the automated answering services and hold times.
It's never a good idea to judge a fundamental policy (ex.business regulation) as a whole, and cast a judgement positive or negative on it. Generally, I oppose business regulation, but depending on the specifics, some of it is necessary and good.

In other countries, where building construction is underregulated (or unregulated entirely), people get killed when their houses collapse on top of them. Just one example >>>

Oh, I am not opposed to all regulations, but you being annoyed by menu choices and wait times isn’t a compelling enough reason to expand the government further.

Should the government force businesses and its agencies to forsake (or limit) email usage and return the office mail room to help increase employment as well? It would hire a lot of people, stimulate the economy, and, save me from those dreadful spam mails. :lol:

So all these busineses are being run by idiots, and you (in all your wisdom) just want to save them? By putting the gov't in charge of their call centers and customer service phone lines? lol

Because the gov't is SO much more efficient. Ever try calling the VA to schedule and appointment? lol
Not the idea. I want to save us from telephone torture. But maybe you like it ? Whatever.

Then call someone else. Or come up with some competition.

And it is not just a $10 an hour operator. You aren't calling to talk to an operator. You are calling to talk to a technician or someone who can help solve a problem. If they are in that kind of demand, they certainly make more than $10 an hour.

And this is just as crazy as your ideas on limiting what people can sell their property for, which you wanted the gov't involved in. Or the idea that the federal gov't should take over MLB because your team sucks.

Saves money ... why pay someone $10/hr for something that can be done with software?
This shows the need for government intervention.
BTW, you get that $10 hour BACK, as millions of people get hired, increasing your SALE$$$.

Horsefeathers ... you increase sales by NOT having your customers have to call in ... it's a piss-poor business that has it's customer support lines packed all the time ... I've never had to call Apple Computers, one reason why I always buy their products ...

And it is not just a $10 an hour operator. You aren't calling to talk to an operator. You are calling to talk to a technician or someone who can help solve a problem. If they are in that kind of demand, they certainly make more than $10 an hour.

And this is just as crazy as your ideas on limiting what people can sell their property for, which you wanted the gov't involved in. Or the idea that the federal gov't should take over MLB because your team sucks.
One man's brilliance is another man's crazy. 24/7. Interesting how you can remember those things from quite some time ago. I have no recollection of the baseball thing at all. l'll take your word on it.

I think the property thing was renting though, not selling. Some level of rent control.

Horsefeathers ... you increase sales by NOT having your customers have to call in ... it's a piss-poor business that has it's customer support lines packed all the time ... I've never had to call Apple Computers, one reason why I always buy their products ...
Sure you increase sales by providing a better product than previously, but just as surely, your sales increase when more people are employed, and have money to spend. Same with wages. When they go up, so do sales. :biggrin: Any 5th grader will tell you.

OK. Well if you don't contact your congressmen, then be happy with half hour or longer waits to talk to customer service. And don't give me that crap that you don't need them. Everybody does, now and then.

We all are suffering with this, and it could be fixed, with some type of legislation. Business and government are equally GUILTY. You make a phone call. First you are RUDELY intercepted by a recording which makes you wait through a serious of choices of things, none of which you're interested in.

If you've called that number before, you've gotten a little better at how to get through, but you're always annoyingly detained. IF you can make it to the point of getting a live person on the phone, you will suffer through a long time of repetitive hold music.

We all know the scoop here. Saving money by minimizing salaries (of customer service phone operators). As a former business owner, I sympathize, but I also sympathize with all of us being tormented by telephone multiple menu recordings and longgggggg hold times.

The solution is obvious. Hire more people to answer the damn phones. We'er in our worst economy since the 1930's. Unemployment is high. Plenty of people out there looking for a job. Sure, a lot of businesses are shut down, but government isn't, and neither are these companies we're making calls to. Also, by getting more people working, that increases sales in the stores, which is what businesses are always wanting.

I hate to go to the government to regulate business, but doing something about long hold times, would reduce unemployment, help the economy, and get us back to actually being able to make a reasonable phone call again, like in the good old days before answering machines were invented. You called somebody up, and they picked up the phone and said "Hello".
Do what I do. When you get crappy service from some company vote with your feet and fire the miserable bastards. This is what we get by putting MBA asshats in charge of businesses. In my day some of the dumbest bastards in school were business majors. If they were flunking science or engineering courses they'd switch majors to business, education or phs ed so they could stay in school to avoid the draft. Now we're over run with dumbasses.

Hey Dick, the last person that used a deferment to get out the draft probably retired years ago. You are full of shit as per usual. The draft ended 3 years before I graduated from high school.

Do what I do. When you get crappy service from some company vote with your feet and fire the miserable bastards. This is what we get by putting MBA asshats in charge of businesses. In my day some of the dumbest bastards in school were business majors. If they were flunking science or engineering courses they'd switch majors to business, education or phs ed so they could stay in school to avoid the draft. Now we're over run with dumbasses.
I hear ya. Trouble is this incessant rudeness to all of us, has become the new normal, and is widespread-common. Time to put our collective feet down.
Don't do business with them if you cannot put up with the cost, time and trouble.

My wife works for an internet service provider. Since the lockdowns occurred and everyone began working from home and doing on-line education classes, about 90 of the calls she receives are the same.
"My internet is running slow. My husband is working from home using Zoom to conduct a meeting, my daughter is doing her school work online, and I am streaming YouTube videos."

They sit through excessive wait times because they are overloading their internet and wondering why it is slow!

That is obviously just a personal problem you need to work out with a shrink!

OK. Well if you don't contact your congressmen, then be happy with half hour or longer waits to talk to customer service. And don't give me that crap that you don't need them. Everybody does, now and then.

What do you expect Congress to do? Pass an unconstitutional law so the government will be tied up in the courts for the 15 minutes it gets to decide that the law is void?

Don't do business with them if you cannot put up with the cost, time and trouble.

My wife works for an internet service provider. Since the lockdowns occurred and everyone began working from home and doing on-line education classes, about 90 of the calls she receives are the same.
"My internet is running slow. My husband is working from home using Zoom to conduct a meeting, my daughter is doing her school work online, and I am streaming YouTube videos."

They sit through excessive wait times because they are overloading their internet and wondering why it is slow!
But what I'm talking about has been going on for years. I become the norm. They're ALL like this.

What do you expect Congress to do? Pass an unconstitutional law so the government will be tied up in the courts for the 15 minutes it gets to decide that the law is void?
I would expect them to at least talk about it, and come up with something to stop multiple menus and long hold times. Try reading the OP. As for what they decide, that's THEIR call, not yours.

One man's brilliance is another man's crazy. 24/7. Interesting how you can remember those things from quite some time ago. I have no recollection of the baseball thing at all. l'll take your word on it.

I think the property thing was renting though, not selling. Some level of rent control.

I see you ignored the part of my post showing that it is not just the addition of a $10 an hour employee. If you are calling and need something, you don't need an operator. You need a technician or someone who can schedule something. That is not the operator. The operator merely connects you to the person with the skills to help you. If the employee has those skills, they are not working for $10 an hour.

As Admiral pointed out, the cable companies are slammed right now trying to hold the system together. It was not a gradual growth but an instant increase of massive proportions. You don't just stick some $10 an hour employee in there to fix it. You need trained and capable technicians. And if you hire them now, and in 6 months they are no longer needed?

Sure you increase sales by providing a better product than previously, but just as surely, your sales increase when more people are employed, and have money to spend. Same with wages. When they go up, so do sales. :biggrin: Any 5th grader will tell you.

I'm sure a fifth-grader would say something like that ... a businessman would say it's better to put out a better product, so less people call in to complain ... I'm not sure just hiring better call center folks corrects the problem of a garbage product ...

We all are suffering with this, and it could be fixed, with some type of legislation. Business and government are equally GUILTY. You make a phone call. First you are RUDELY intercepted by a recording which makes you wait through a serious of choices of things, none of which you're interested in.

If you've called that number before, you've gotten a little better at how to get through, but you're always annoyingly detained. IF you can make it to the point of getting a live person on the phone, you will suffer through a long time of repetitive hold music.

We all know the scoop here. Saving money by minimizing salaries (of customer service phone operators). As a former business owner, I sympathize, but I also sympathize with all of us being tormented by telephone multiple menu recordings and longgggggg hold times.

The solution is obvious. Hire more people to answer the damn phones. We'er in our worst economy since the 1930's. Unemployment is high. Plenty of people out there looking for a job. Sure, a lot of businesses are shut down, but government isn't, and neither are these companies we're making calls to. Also, by getting more people working, that increases sales in the stores, which is what businesses are always wanting.

I hate to go to the government to regulate business, but doing something about long hold times, would reduce unemployment, help the economy, and get us back to actually being able to make a reasonable phone call again, like in the good old days before answering machines were invented. You called somebody up, and they picked up the phone and said "Hello".

They don't care about you.

The quicker you realize that, the quicker you might return to things that are meaningful in life.

But what I'm talking about has been going on for years. I become the norm. They're ALL like this.

You need to take a Mydol and go to bed!

Forum List

Back