Contridictory SCOTUS rulings

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

So, two rulings.

1. A business can be forced to provide religious accommodations.

2. A business cannot be forced to preform work that goes against their religious views.

In one ruling the SCOTUS said it is not the Govt job to force a business to do something, and in the other ruling they said it is the Govt's job to force a business to do something.

Seems one of these contradicts the other one.

I am all for a business going "yep, I wont make that website/cake/etc" but I am also all for a business going "I don't give a fuck about your religion, work the hours or find a new job"

So, two rulings.

2. A business cannot be forced to preform work that goes against their religious views.

In one ruling the SCOTUS said it is not the Govt job to force a business to do something, and in the other ruling they said it is the Govt's job to force a business to do something.

t
I am all for a business going "yep, I wont make that website/cake/etc" but I am also all for a business going "I don't give a fuck about your religion, work the hours or find a new job"

As noted more than once. A business can do that BEFORE hiring you.

If they are hiring for a Sunday schedule and you say you can not work Sunday, the ruling does not mean they must still hire you.

Again, this person took a job based upon knowing he was not going to have to work Sundays. A persons religious beliefs IMO do over ride Amazon's desire to deliver packages on a Sunday.

If they are hiring for a Sunday schedule and you say you can not work Sunday, the ruling does not mean they must still hire you.

Again, this person took a job based upon knowing he was not going to have to work Sundays. A persons religious beliefs IMO do over ride Amazon's desire to deliver packages on a Sunday.

The needs of a business change over time. Why should the owner of the business be forced to give a fuck about the religious activities of someone else?

So, two rulings.

Consistency is not the hallmark of this court. They also found that states do not have standing to challenge immigration rules that directly affect them but did have standing as the one-off beneficiary in the student loan case.

So, two rulings.

here ya go ... hope this makes you feel better .
1688157720485.jpeg

Strange ruling.....

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Not really sure which one this falls under.

Are they establishing religion by ruling in his favor......

Or are they stopping someone from prohibiting the free exercise thereof ?

I completely agree with this. Whats the problem with someone wearing a scarf or saying a prayer at work? I see none at all.

So, two rulings.

Interesting point.
I don't know.
For the mail carrier - was Sundays always a part of the job description and he was just always given them off? If yes, then I would agree: tough shit. Is it, on the other hand, a new requirement? Then he might have a point.
As for the web designer - if he/she doesn't want to design a web page for event/ behavior they disapprove of,
just go to another web designer and shut the fuck up.

Feel free to show me the part of the Constitution that says a business owner must give in to the whims of their employees religions views.

The "whims" of their religious views ?

What "whims" are those ?

And how would they be giving in by accomodating his desires ?

So, two rulings.

Agreed

For one thing, there is definitely a difference between businesses that are corporations and businesses that are a person doing business.

Forum List

Back