Convicted felon sentenced to 5 years for illegally voting

That is an absolutely absurd sentence. Once again conservatives worship at the altar of the big government police state.
Why? She was already on supervised probation for a previous FELONY conviction!

People spend less time in prison for rape and assault.

I think they are going to use her as an example. Might explain why the sentence is 5 years.

Kinda sucks too..................she's single and has 2 kids who are going to have to go live with relatives or be placed in foster care.

That is an absolutely absurd sentence. Once again conservatives worship at the altar of the big government police state.

True and that's wrong. Unfortunate for her she got a judge who took her crime seriously as it should have been and sentenced her accordingly and I bet her previous conviction was taken into account and she might have had her previous sentence suspended.

I think they are going to use her as an example. Might explain why the sentence is 5 years.

Kinda sucks too..................she's single and has 2 kids who are going to have to go live with relatives or be placed in foster care.

Precisely, the punishment extends beyond her person and doesn't fit the crime.

If it was me, I'd take into consideration her situation with her 2 kids. Personally, I think she should have just had her probation extended for a year.

Not 5 years in lockdown.

NO ONE VOTES ILLEGALLY!!!

Please say voting undocumented!

No, she wasn't undocumented. She voted while she was on probation for a crime she committed and claims that she didn't know she wasn't able to vote.
She voted illegally. That never, never happens! Only Trump voters would do something so sleazy, right?

Never said anything about Trump supporters, but apparently you think that because you posted it.

Yes, she did vote illegally, but that is only because she didn't know that she wasn't allowed to vote while on probation. That is the key issue here. Ignorance is no excuse, but she shouldn't have to do 5 years for it.

If it was me, I'd take into consideration her situation with her 2 kids. Personally, I think she should have just had her probation extended for a year.

Not 5 years in lockdown.
I agree, especially if she really didn't know that her vote would be considered an illegal vote.

God bless you and her and her kids always!!!

Holly

No, she wasn't undocumented. She voted while she was on probation for a crime she committed and claims that she didn't know she wasn't able to vote.
She voted illegally. That never, never happens! Only Trump voters would do something so sleazy, right?

Never said anything about Trump supporters, but apparently you think that because you posted it.

Yes, she did vote illegally, but that is only because she didn't know that she wasn't allowed to vote while on probation. That is the key issue here. Ignorance is no excuse, but she shouldn't have to do 5 years for it.
Listen wimp, she is not going to do 5 years. She is a back-road skank who was sentenced to 5 but and will be out in two. Don't get your panties bunched up.

Happens rarely, comrade, probably not as much as in the old USSR country you live in. The last one to get big news coverage was when the Chairman of the Colorado GOP got convicted of voter fraud. He definitely knew what he was doing. Republican big shot.

Nice fine would do.....say couple grand

Actually, I think extending her probation for a year over this would be good. That way, she would have paid for her crime, and she would never again vote illegally.

5 years is a bit steep.

You can do less time for killing someone drunk with your car.

She previously had been convicted of irs fraud.
In Texas you can receive up to 20 years for election fraud.
Sounds like the judge could have given her a much longer sentence.
Texas woman sentenced 5 years for voting while on probation

At the time of the 2016 election, Mason was on probation after pleading guilty to defrauding the federal government in 2011. She served nearly three years in prison on a five-year sentence. After her prison release, she was put on a three-year term of supervised release. She also had to pay $4.2 million in restitution, according to court documents.

She didn’t know, just like I am sure she didn’t know it was illegal to defraud the govt. Sorry, I haven’t much sympathy. She made her bed.

Forum List

Back