Copenhagen Zoo killing of a healthy Giraffe

PixieStix

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2009
I despise Zoo's and other places that keep animals captive for our entertainment.

This was uncalled for and barbaric, and they did it in front of small children. Shot in the head, and quartered and fed to the lions. Yes all while the children watched

People-look-on-as-a-veterinarian-prepares-to-dismember-the-giraffe-Marius-after-it-was-killed-in-Copenhagen-Zoo-February-9-2014.-REUTERSKasper-PalsnovScanpix-Denmark-615x345.jpg

The Copenhagen Zoo has insisted that it was doing the right thing when it killed Marius the giraffe, carved him up as children watched and fed him to the lions — all as part of an effort to control inbreeding and educate zoo visitors.

But the weekend killing of the healthy two-year-old animal has turned into what observers have called a public relations "disaster" and "debacle" for the zoo. It also shone a light on the seldom seen practice of how zoos dispose of animals that they just don't want or need.

"I think that it demonstrates a real tone-deafness as to concerns about the ways that zoos operate," says Geoff D'Eon, a Halifax documentary-maker whose recent production Zoo Revolution explored the ethical debate around zoos.

Giraffe's killing in Copenhagen reveals zoos' dark culling practices - World - CBC News

I despise Zoo's and other places that keep animals captive for our entertainment.

This was uncalled for and barbaric, and they did it in front of small children. Shot in the head, and quartered and fed to the lions. Yes all while the children watched

People-look-on-as-a-veterinarian-prepares-to-dismember-the-giraffe-Marius-after-it-was-killed-in-Copenhagen-Zoo-February-9-2014.-REUTERSKasper-PalsnovScanpix-Denmark-615x345.jpg

The Copenhagen Zoo has insisted that it was doing the right thing when it killed Marius the giraffe, carved him up as children watched and fed him to the lions — all as part of an effort to control inbreeding and educate zoo visitors.

But the weekend killing of the healthy two-year-old animal has turned into what observers have called a public relations "disaster" and "debacle" for the zoo. It also shone a light on the seldom seen practice of how zoos dispose of animals that they just don't want or need.

"I think that it demonstrates a real tone-deafness as to concerns about the ways that zoos operate," says Geoff D'Eon, a Halifax documentary-maker whose recent production Zoo Revolution explored the ethical debate around zoos.

Giraffe's killing in Copenhagen reveals zoos' dark culling practices - World - CBC News

I bet the lions were happier than a pig in shit.

And now the kids know about the natural cycle of life and death.

What is natural about being bred for entertainment purposes and then shot in the head and cut up a fed to the lions out of the natural habitat?

What is natural about being bred for entertainment purposes and then shot in the head and cut up a fed to the lions out of the natural habitat?

The animal was bred as part of conservation project mostly, and it was found to have a genome too close to other animals in the grouping. They culled it.

I agree though, they should have just put it into the Lion pen, that would have been real nature in action.

The animal was bred as part of conservation project mostly, and it was found to have a genome too close to other animals in the grouping. They culled it.

I agree though, they should have just put it into the Lion pen, that would have been real nature in action.

There were other options. But they chose this one. They could have neutered the animal. They could have sold it or even given it to another zoo.

I said natural habitat, not a enclosed zoo habitat

Do you get upset at chickens, cows and pigs being slaughtered? There is no difference in my mind.

I only wish I could have sliced a nice thick steak from the Giraffe for myself.......

:lol:

Do you get upset at chickens, cows and pigs being slaughtered? There is no difference in my mind.

I only wish I could have sliced a nice thick steak from the Giraffe for myself.......

This is where you guys fail.

Do you eat giraffe and is this why the animal was bred? No

It was bred for pure entertainment.

Cows chickens and other farm animals are for food and are bred for such.

Would you be okay with this if dogs were being done like this?

You guys? I speak for myself and ONLY myself.

Animals are killed and eaten every day. This is no different.

I doubt I would eat a DOG- but I have no problem with other people breeding dogs, giraffes, or any other animal for consumption. I draw the line at Humans...:lol:

The repercussions have begun. The Sesame Street world tour is on hold. Big Bird is refusing to go to Copenhagen. It is not clear whether this is a protest, or his fear for his life....

Pixie Stix is right. There was nothing "natural" about this.

Make no mistake though - the US does it every day. Except that US zoos often sell to canned hunts so that big brave he-mans can "stalk", kill a tame animal and hang parts of it on their living room wall.

Pixie Stix, this giraffe could not be place elsewhere because they're common, easy to breed so most zoos have too many already. Same with lions, elephants and others that reproduce easily in captivity.

The public likes baby animals so the adults are disposable.

Zoos are an abomination and sadly, we will see the day when many animals don't exist anyplace else.

In all seriousness, though, this could have been handled better. I suppose that it could have been handled worse, though. They could have just put the giraffe in the lion cage alive. That would have given the kids a real lesson in the ways of nature!

You guys? I speak for myself and ONLY myself.

Animals are killed and eaten every day. This is no different.

I doubt I would eat a DOG- but I have no problem with other people breeding dogs, giraffes, or any other animal for consumption. I draw the line at Humans...:lol:

Why?

Humans are just animals and they over run the planet.

And, there are more than a few who are alive only because its illegal to kill them.

In all seriousness, though, this could have been handled better. I suppose that it could have been handled worse, though. They could have just put the giraffe in the lion cage alive. That would have given the kids a real lesson in the ways of nature!

People would have PAID to watch that.

It would have been a hoot for the Lions as well.

This story made me very very sad. They could have shipped the poor guy to some other Zoo anywhere on Earth. :(

What is barbaric about a human slaughtering an animal? We do it every minute of every hour of every day. The zoo keepers killed the animal quickly and it felt no pain. They were even kind enough to feed the dead animal to the lions.

Lions eat giraffes in natures. Without any human help. Is that barbaric too?

PS - Animals are not the anthropomorphic creatures you see in the movies.....

What is barbaric about a human slaughtering an animal? We do it every minute of every hour of every day. The zoo keepers killed the animal quickly and it felt no pain. They were even kind enough to feed the dead animal to the lions.

Lions eat giraffes in natures. Without any human help. Is that barbaric too?

PS - Animals are not the anthropomorphic creatures you see in the movies.....

They could have spared a life and send the Giraffe to another zoo!

but no! kill kill kill! :mad::mad::mad:

Barbaric and horrific. I cannot imagine that this image is not forever etched in every mind that witnessed this.

Not a good lesson in any measure for those who were there for this exercise's educational value.

I am afraid all that the children may have learned is how truly thoughtless and stupid, their fellow human beings are. Yeah a real teachable moment.......,

The animal did not have to even exist.

Moscow Zoo slams Copenhagen Zoo for killing giraffe to prevent inbreeding - News - Society - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video

Boohoo...lets all eat a steak. And bacon. While wearing leather belts shoes and purses wearing products tested on animals while ingested drugs tested in animals..... But how dare anyone force me to witness killing of an animal. Barbaric!:

A lesson was given in Copenhagen, most people are just too self absorbed to see it.

Giraffes are cute though......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back