Seriously WTF? After Giraffe Uproar, Copenhagen Zoo Kills 4 Lions

They're breeding too many. It's that simple. You breed only enough to replace..but the zoo industry has a whole thing going where all the animals breed continually, and they trade for other animals, and then breed them, and then there are home breeders...there are too many. They might as well breed them for feed, otherwise, just start spaying, gelding, neutering everything.

Is this crazy or what? Killing the 14 and 16 year olds and 2 cubs to make way for a young male lion? WTF are they thinking? How in hell can they justify this?

Aye carumba. It was bad enough over the giraffe. Now this.

And you know who can be blamed for this bullshit?

Animal rights mega activists who have been so whacked out they have set up a false alarm that lions are an endangered species. That's how the zoo can justify this move.

Jeeeez.

This is not at all uncommon and its not just Danes who do it. In this country, we still allow excess zoo animals to be sold to canned hunts. Texasss is well known for it.

Who you can blame is the public who wants to see baby animals. Zoos won't keep and exhibit rescues unless they look whole. Any flaws and they're put down or sold to canned hunts.

You can also blame money, or the lack of it. The males cannot be housed together. That means the zoo has to come up with space for the excess that no one wants to see and they can't afford to feed anyway. Where should the money come from?

You're almost correct that you can blame activists for part of the problem however. Its thanks to them that zoos now have federal standards for housing and feeding for the animals in their care. Do a little research about the way we used to keep zoo animals. I'm in the midst of building some new flight cages and believe me, I am following the federal guidelines to the letter.

African lions ARE threatened in the wild but they breed easily in captivity. That makes for more lions than there are possible placements for. There are placement websites where you can browse what exotic animals are available for placement. There are some species you just cannot place.

I don't like zoos but someday, they will have the only "specimens" of some species left on the planet.

Okay since the public "wants baby animals" why put down two healthy baby cubs- males, to get a three year old male to breed more cubs they will put down? And if this breed is endangered, it makes perfect sense to kill cubs and its parents?

If the zoo has "no space" they should not breed, and they certainly should not get a new male ( after killing off one older male and 2 baby males) for breeding purposes. Why not allow one of those males they already had to age and become old enough to breed? Which still makes no sense because they still WONT have room. But they got him to breed with their two females.

BBC News - Danish zoo that culled giraffe kills family of lions

CaféAuLait;8837241 said:
Is this crazy or what? Killing the 14 and 16 year olds and 2 cubs to make way for a young male lion? WTF are they thinking? How in hell can they justify this?

Aye carumba. It was bad enough over the giraffe. Now this.

And you know who can be blamed for this bullshit?

Animal rights mega activists who have been so whacked out they have set up a false alarm that lions are an endangered species. That's how the zoo can justify this move.

Jeeeez.

This is not at all uncommon and its not just Danes who do it. In this country, we still allow excess zoo animals to be sold to canned hunts. Texasss is well known for it.

Who you can blame is the public who wants to see baby animals. Zoos won't keep and exhibit rescues unless they look whole. Any flaws and they're put down or sold to canned hunts.

You can also blame money, or the lack of it. The males cannot be housed together. That means the zoo has to come up with space for the excess that no one wants to see and they can't afford to feed anyway. Where should the money come from?

You're almost correct that you can blame activists for part of the problem however. Its thanks to them that zoos now have federal standards for housing and feeding for the animals in their care. Do a little research about the way we used to keep zoo animals. I'm in the midst of building some new flight cages and believe me, I am following the federal guidelines to the letter.

African lions ARE threatened in the wild but they breed easily in captivity. That makes for more lions than there are possible placements for. There are placement websites where you can browse what exotic animals are available for placement. There are some species you just cannot place.

I don't like zoos but someday, they will have the only "specimens" of some species left on the planet.

Okay since the public "wants baby animals" why put down two healthy baby cubs- males, to get a three year old male to breed more cubs they will put down? And if this breed is endangered, it makes perfect sense to kill cubs and its parents?

If the zoo has "no space" they should not breed, and they certainly should not get a new male ( after killing off one older male and 2 baby males) for breeding purposes. Why not allow one of those males they already had to age and become old enough to breed? Which still makes no sense because they still WONT have room. But they got him to breed with their two females.

The newborns serve their purpose, get people to the zoo, get people to donate and then there's no need to keep them. As I already said, you can't get rid of certain species. Those that breed easily in captivity or those that aren't romantic, popular, appealing.

This happens every single day in zoos everywhere, including the US.

That zoo needs to be shut down.

Why? Because you don't understand wildlife management?

Zoos are not wild. This is not wildlife "management". Sheesh.

`

CaféAuLait;8837241 said:
Jeeeez.

The newborns serve their purpose, get people to the zoo, get people to donate and then there's no need to keep them. As I already said, you can't get rid of certain species. Those that breed easliy in captivity or those that aren't romantic, popular, appealing.

That zoo needs to be shut down.

`

But they were still cubs, which would be appealing to the public when killed.

You did not answer my question, why bring in a three year old male, when they killed 2 perfectly healthy male cubs which could breed in a few years? Its obvious their 'old' lions were breeding at 14 and 16 since they were the parents of the cubs. So for them to argue that bringing in a three year old to mate in a year with other females who would be ready to breed in a year is ridiculous IMO.

CaféAuLait;8843067 said:
CaféAuLait;8837241 said:

The newborns serve their purpose, get people to the zoo, get people to donate and then there's no need to keep them. As I already said, you can't get rid of certain species. Those that breed easliy in captivity or those that aren't romantic, popular, appealing.

`

You did not answer my question, why bring in a three year old male, when they killed 2 perfectly healthy male cubs which could breed in a few years? Its obvious their 'old' lions were breeding at 14 and 16 since they were the parents of the cubs. So for them to argue that bringing in a three year old to mate in a year with other females who would be ready to breed in a year is ridiculous IMO.

I believe the article stated they needed genetic diversity but I'm not sure.

I hate the whole racket and that's what it is.

Even rare white lions can end up in canned hunts.

Frankly, I'm glad this is making the news because it IS so common. And yet, people are surprised by it.

But, the question is, will anything change? It won't because people are sheep. Tomorrow they'll take the kiddies to the zoo or the circus and never realize they are voting with their money.

How I saved Africa's white lions: The London model who rescued a mother and her cubs and her desperate battle to protect them from bloodthirsty trophy hunters | Mail Online

It is estimated that there are only 500 white lions in the world and all but a handful are in captivity. Many of those in zoos, or held in pens awaiting slaughter, are hopelessly inbred by speed reproduction programmes.

Read more: How I saved Africa's white lions: The London model who rescued a mother and her cubs and her desperate battle to protect them from bloodthirsty trophy hunters | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

article-2257563-16C36CDE000005DC-251_634x460.jpg

CaféAuLait;8843067 said:

`

I believe the article stated they needed genetic diversity but I'm not sure.

I hate the whole racket and that's what it is.

I completely agree with you there.

CaféAuLait;8832915 said:
After Giraffe Uproar, Copenhagen Zoo Kills 4 Lions

A Danish zoo that faced protests for killing a healthy giraffe to prevent inbreeding says it has put down four lions, including two cubs, to make room for a new male lion.

After Giraffe Uproar, Copenhagen Zoo Kills 4 Lions - ABC News

This is ridiculous.

Barbarians :mad:

Why couldn't they have asked other major zoos around the world if they wanted these lions? Oh wait...that makes too much sense!

Lol.

One of my most fun things to do..take limp wristed, wussified city boys who have never had a sling shot let alone watched an animal die (because their over protective mothers don't allow them to have animals...all their money has to go to piano lessons and inhalers) out into rural america and watch them try to process the Real World.

It's priceless, and I feel honored that I have been able to witness it a few times.

Omg and you should see them try to function in what serves as *clubs* in OUR cowboy culture.

It's better than Mad magazine....

CaféAuLait;8832915 said:

A Danish zoo that faced protests for killing a healthy giraffe to prevent inbreeding says it has put down four lions, including two cubs, to make room for a new male lion.

This is ridiculous.

Why couldn't they have asked other major zoos around the world if they wanted these lions? Oh wait...that makes too much sense!

Doesn't matter how often its explained.

Some people would rather be ignorant.

Lol.

One of my most fun things to do..take limp wristed, wussified city boys who have never had a sling shot let alone watched an animal die (because their over protective mothers don't allow them to have animals...all their money has to go to piano lessons and inhalers) out into rural america and watch them try to process the Real World.

It's priceless, and I feel honored that I have been able to witness it a few times.

What do you do?
Run over wild life in the road?

You make up more crap than just about any other poster here.

I'm still cracking up over you saying you eat only Kobe beef.

I never said I only eat Kobe beef, you idiot, lol.

I don't recall ever having kobe beef....

Yes I have run over wildlife in the road. Lots of times. Not intentionally, but shit happens.

I'm killed intentionally, too. Shocking! Is your wrist rigidifying at the thought? Or would it be flaccidating?

I'm a little unclear on the details..but I do know you loons make a really poor, and hysterically funny, showing out in the real world, amongst the real people.

I never said I only eat Kobe beef, you idiot, lol.

I don't recall ever having kobe beef....

Yes I have run over wildlife in the road. Lots of times. Not intentionally, but shit happens.

I'm killed intentionally, too. Shocking! Is your wrist rigidifying at the thought? Or would it be flaccidating?

I'm a little unclear on the details..but I do know you loons make a really poor, and hysterically funny, showing out in the real world, amongst the real people.

Okay, maybe the Kobe beef lies isn't one of yours.

I'm not surprised that 'you're unclear on the details' because that's pretty much a permanent condition for you but but here's what you said -

I've explained the reality animals in zoos and you willfully don't get it. Then you tell some tall tale about what you do to "limp wristed, wussified city boys".

CaféAuLait;8832915 said:

This is ridiculous.

You never explained it. You never explained why 2 male cubs were killed to welcome another young male. The zoo did and it makes absolutely no sense. Why bring in a male when they already had a male, they just did not want to wait and any BS explanation that the females were ready to mate in a few years can be put aside by two things, the 14 year old female was obviously breeding just fine along with her 16 year old mate given they killed their 2 male cubs. The zoo could have waited for those cubs to mature but they did not want to, they want to make more baby cubs they are going to execute soon after they are born. Its total BS.

Two of those were young lions that were not old enough to survive by themselves and would have been killed by the new male lion if it had the chance,...The new male lion was brought from Givskud Zoo, also in Denmark, to form a breeding group with the Copenhagen Zoo's two 18-month-old females, born on site in 2012. The zoo had to put down the old lions and their young offspring "because of the natural structure and behavior.

Copenhagen Zoo kills 4 lions, weeks after shooting giraffe - CNN.com

CaféAuLait;8848481 said:

You never explained it. You never explained why 2 male cubs were killed to welcome another young male. The zoo did and it makes absolutely no sense. Why bring in a male when they already had a male, they just did not want to wait and any BS explanation that the females were ready to mate in a few years can be put aside by two things, the 14 year old female was obviously breeding just fine along with her 16 year old mate given they killed their 2 male cubs. The zoo could have waited for those cubs to mature but they did not want to, they want to make more baby cubs they are going to execute soon after they are born. Its total BS.

Two of those were young lions that were not old enough to survive by themselves and would have been killed by the new male lion if it had the chance,...The new male lion was brought from Givskud Zoo, also in Denmark, to form a breeding group with the Copenhagen Zoo's two 18-month-old females, born on site in 2012. The zoo had to put down the old lions and their young offspring "because of the natural structure and behavior.

When I wrote that I explained it, I was referring the bolded line above and what I wrote was that some animals cannot be placed in other zoos, education programs, etc because they are so common. They are a dime a dozen. I could give you examples of that problem that I have dealt with personally but my feeling is that you just want to fight.

If you object to this, talk to the feds. They make the laws that all zoos and related organizations must abide by. And, make no mistake, they ARE federal laws which carry enormous consequences.

As to why they killed the male cats, I told you that I thought I had read they were trying to increase genetic diversity. This is a common reason but one which I personally don't believe.

I am always eager to discuss issues like this and to share whatever first hand knowledge I have. But I'm not willing to attacked for laws or practices I have no control over.

CaféAuLait;8848481 said:

Oh - actually, I did talk about the problems of housing additional cats, money issues, that males often kill the cubs of other males and so forth.

I can't speak for the zoo though so I don't know what their reasoning is.

As I've said before, I wish people would complain and boycott zoos and circuses but they won't.

CaféAuLait;8848481 said:

When I wrote that I explained it, I was referring the bolded line above and what I wrote was that some animals cannot be placed in other zoos, education programs, etc because they are so common. They are a dime a dozen. I could give you examples of that problem that I have dealt with personally but my feeling is that you just want to fight.

If you object to this, talk to the feds. They make the laws that all zoos and related organizations must abide by. And, make no mistake, they ARE federal laws which carry enormous consequences.

As to why they killed the male cats, I told you that I thought I had read they were trying to increase genetic diversity. This is a common reason but one which I personally don't believe.

I am always eager to discuss issues like this and to share whatever first hand knowledge I have. But I'm not willing to attacked for laws or practices I have no control over.

Yet, it was not because of genetic diversity. That was my point, not because I want to fight, that is why I supplied the quote from the Zoo itself. Some say they don't get it and you say 'its because they want to remain ignorant-- now whose starting a fight?

no room for the lions, why breed them in the first place and bring in another male to breed more which they will have to kill for the same reasons, especially when it has nothing to do with genetic diversity.

CaféAuLait;8848481 said:

Oh - actually, I did talk about the problems of housing additional cats, money issues, that males often kill the cubs of other males and so forth.

I can't speak for the zoo though so I don't know what their reasoning is.

As I've said before, I wish people would complain and boycott zoos and circuses but they won't.

I get room issues, I do. But I do not get breeding more animals which will create more issues with room, not unless they claim they are only going to breed females. I saw your post about the male lions and having to separate them, I get that, It might have been a lot easier for them to find a place for the 2 cubs or keep one male cub and give the other away IMO, instead of trying to find a place for a family of 4 to bring in a new male. See what I mean? It just seems irresponsible.

Forum List

Back