Seriously WTF? After Giraffe Uproar, Copenhagen Zoo Kills 4 Lions

Why is the zoo breeding lions, when they are not endangered in the wild?

if these zoos aren't really engaged in conserving species as they claim, what is their purpose?

I can see it if the older lions were ill. But the cubs?? If they have to kill animals to make room for new ones, then they shouldn't be a zoo.

I can see it if the older lions were ill. But the cubs?? If they have to kill animals to make room for new ones, then they shouldn't be a zoo.

Yeah, I agree but they were not sick they were completely healthy and not old, as in aged, but older than the 2 year old brought in. They killed the cubs too, ironically these were the same lions they fed the giraffe to, which the zoo reasoned would have naturally been responsible for the baby giraffes demise in the wild.

Report: Danish zoo that killed giraffe also kills 4 lions - CBS News

The zoo has legitimate reasons for what they did. Lions are not endangered but are at a vulnerable state. The simple fact is that The male lion was old, and there was a possibility that it would mate with its own offspring. The male was 16 years old and the female was 14 years old, this is about the maximum life expectancy of lions in captivity. The zoo had an opportunity to get a new male lion who is at a proper age to mate with the two remaining females. The 2 cubs that were killed were unfortunate, but the new male would have rejected them and for this reason they would die anyway. The zoo had asked other zoo's if they would take the cubs, but as there was no response and no space for the cubs, they were also put down with the coming of the new lion within a few days.

I do agree that it is sad when healthy animals die, but it is part of life and in nature similar things do happen. The zoo was looking at the future for these majestic creatures to make sure future generations will also be able to enjoy them.

Ignorant people.

Not the Zoo officials but the idiots crying about it.

Sometimes you have to do these type of things in wildlife management and as Dutchboy pointed out, these events play out in the wild. A new lion comes in, drives out the old and kills all the cubs that were produced which causes the female to go into estrus within a few days.

Zoo's do serve a purpose and the animals in them have to suffer as ambassadors to humans for their wild brethren. I'm pretty sure the zoo is not just killing animals just because. They usually have a good reason for it.

Is this crazy or what? Killing the 14 and 16 year olds and 2 cubs to make way for a young male lion? WTF are they thinking? How in hell can they justify this?

Aye carumba. It was bad enough over the giraffe. Now this.

And you know who can be blamed for this bullshit?

Animal rights mega activists who have been so whacked out they have set up a false alarm that lions are an endangered species. That's how the zoo can justify this move.

The zoo has legitimate reasons for what they did. Lions are not endangered but are at a vulnerable state. The simple fact is that The male lion was old, and there was a possibility that it would mate with its own offspring. The male was 16 years old and the female was 14 years old, this is about the maximum life expectancy of lions in captivity. The zoo had an opportunity to get a new male lion who is at a proper age to mate with the two remaining females. The 2 cubs that were killed were unfortunate, but the new male would have rejected them and for this reason they would die anyway. The zoo had asked other zoo's if they would take the cubs, but as there was no response and no space for the cubs, they were also put down with the coming of the new lion within a few days.

I do agree that it is sad when healthy animals die, but it is part of life and in nature similar things do happen. The zoo was looking at the future for these majestic creatures to make sure future generations will also be able to enjoy them.

They are not even in a vulnerable state. With all due respect, that's bullshit.

Is the condition of the lion really that dire? Fortunately, the most recent scientific data say no. A comprehensive study published last December concluded that there are between 32,000 and 35,000 lions living in the wild in Africa.

The lion population is spread across 27 countries, with nine countries having populations of at least 1,000 lions. (See "The Serengeti Lion.")

Of greatest significance is the fact that 24,000 of the lions, which is at least 68 percent of the total population, live in what the study terms "strongholds." Strongholds are areas that meet "the necessary requirements for [the] long-term viability" of their lion populations.

To qualify as a stronghold, an area must meet these three criteria:

1) a population of at least 500 lions;

2) be legally protected as lion habitat, or be an area where hunting is managed; and

3) contain a population of lions whose numbers are either stable or increasing.

There are ten such areas in Africa. According to the study, the lion populations living in these areas are "large, stable, and well protected," and the populations are therefore "likely to persist into the foreseeable future."

Even the petition itself acknowledges that "one-third of all the lions on the continent could be considered secure under present conservation measures."

Opinion: African Lions Should Not Be Listed as Endangered

Last edited:
Zoo's exist primarily to keep humans barely aware that other animals do exist on earth. That is the only reason I can even tolerate them. As it is there is nothing sadder than watching these majestic animals reduced to mentally unstable shadows of what they are in the wild. This zoo seems like its trying to be somewhat progressive in its approach to keeping the animals at least somewhat close to their wild state.

Heard about this yesterday. They killed the lions because the new lion would have killed them anyway. How about not get a new lion, then?

Incest happens in lion prides, it's natural. The two cubs were the children of the two lions they put down. They killed off an entire family to make room for a male, a "beautiful male" as they called it, so it can breed, breeding species which are not on the endangered list.

It's obvious the male lion they put down could breed quite well and in fact had produced 2 cubs which they killed. Why not allow those cubs to grow and follow the natural path the Zoo put in place, yes the Zoo bred these animals or allowed such to happen. If they did not want breeding they should have put measures in place to stop such. Instead they get new animals( I looked to see where they squired the new lion and could not find how it was acquired) to produce more animals they will be forced to kill for the same flippin reasons they killed off the four lions they just killed.

It's irresponsible for them to breed when they don't have the room or or facilities to care for the animals they are producing.

That zoo needs to be shut down.

Why? Because you don't understand wildlife management?

I understand, it they don't want baby lions then neuter the lions. much more preferable to killing them don't ya think? No you don't think.

Their other reason was the new male would kill the other male cubs they decided to put down. So I wonder why the male cubs had not been killed by their father? ( they killed as well) Could it be they separated them to assure this would not happen? Probably. So why not keep them separated or wait until the cubs they already had were able to breed instead of acquiring a three year old "beautiful male" to breed with the females they already had?

Their reason? Was because the females they have were close to breeding age and the new male will be able to breed in a year. Given their "old" female and their "old" male just produced two cubs, this makes little sense as well. The situation will lead to more lions being killed because they want to breed a "beautiful male".

Is this crazy or what? Killing the 14 and 16 year olds and 2 cubs to make way for a young male lion? WTF are they thinking? How in hell can they justify this?

Aye carumba. It was bad enough over the giraffe. Now this.

And you know who can be blamed for this bullshit?

Animal rights mega activists who have been so whacked out they have set up a false alarm that lions are an endangered species. That's how the zoo can justify this move.

Jeeeez.

This is not at all uncommon and its not just Danes who do it. In this country, we still allow excess zoo animals to be sold to canned hunts. Texasss is well known for it.

Who you can blame is the public who wants to see baby animals. Zoos won't keep and exhibit rescues unless they look whole. Any flaws and they're put down or sold to canned hunts.

You can also blame money, or the lack of it. The males cannot be housed together. That means the zoo has to come up with space for the excess that no one wants to see and they can't afford to feed anyway. Where should the money come from?

You're almost correct that you can blame activists for part of the problem however. Its thanks to them that zoos now have federal standards for housing and feeding for the animals in their care. Do a little research about the way we used to keep zoo animals. I'm in the midst of building some new flight cages and believe me, I am following the federal guidelines to the letter.

African lions ARE threatened in the wild but they breed easily in captivity. That makes for more lions than there are possible placements for. There are placement websites where you can browse what exotic animals are available for placement. There are some species you just cannot place.

I don't like zoos but someday, they will have the only "specimens" of some species left on the planet.

Forum List

Back