Seriously WTF? After Giraffe Uproar, Copenhagen Zoo Kills 4 Lions

CaféAuLait;8848557 said:
CaféAuLait;8848481 said:
You never explained it. You never explained why 2 male cubs were killed to welcome another young male. The zoo did and it makes absolutely no sense. Why bring in a male when they already had a male, they just did not want to wait and any BS explanation that the females were ready to mate in a few years can be put aside by two things, the 14 year old female was obviously breeding just fine along with her 16 year old mate given they killed their 2 male cubs. The zoo could have waited for those cubs to mature but they did not want to, they want to make more baby cubs they are going to execute soon after they are born. Its total BS.

Copenhagen Zoo kills 4 lions, weeks after shooting giraffe - CNN.com

When I wrote that I explained it, I was referring the bolded line above and what I wrote was that some animals cannot be placed in other zoos, education programs, etc because they are so common. They are a dime a dozen. I could give you examples of that problem that I have dealt with personally but my feeling is that you just want to fight.

If you object to this, talk to the feds. They make the laws that all zoos and related organizations must abide by. And, make no mistake, they ARE federal laws which carry enormous consequences.

As to why they killed the male cats, I told you that I thought I had read they were trying to increase genetic diversity. This is a common reason but one which I personally don't believe.

I am always eager to discuss issues like this and to share whatever first hand knowledge I have. But I'm not willing to attacked for laws or practices I have no control over.

Yet, it was not because of genetic diversity. That was my point, not because I want to fight, that is why I supplied the quote from the Zoo itself. Some say they don't get it and you say 'its because they want to remain ignorant-- now whose starting a fight?

no room for the lions, why breed them in the first place and bring in another male to breed more which they will have to kill for the same reasons, especially when it has nothing to do with genetic diversity.

AGAIN -

The comment was:

... Why couldn't they have asked other major zoos around the world if they wanted these lions? Oh wait...that makes too much sense!

My reply TO THAT COMMENT was:

Doesn't matter how often its explained.

Some people would rather be ignorant.

Granted that I probably should not have been snippy but I had already addressed that several times - that some species breed easily in captivity, all zoos, sanctuaries have those species and no one wants more of them. It annoyed me because my explanation of that was almost directly above that comment.

CaféAuLait;8848575 said:
CaféAuLait;8848481 said:
You never explained it. You never explained why 2 male cubs were killed to welcome another young male. The zoo did and it makes absolutely no sense. Why bring in a male when they already had a male, they just did not want to wait and any BS explanation that the females were ready to mate in a few years can be put aside by two things, the 14 year old female was obviously breeding just fine along with her 16 year old mate given they killed their 2 male cubs. The zoo could have waited for those cubs to mature but they did not want to, they want to make more baby cubs they are going to execute soon after they are born. Its total BS.

Copenhagen Zoo kills 4 lions, weeks after shooting giraffe - CNN.com

Oh - actually, I did talk about the problems of housing additional cats, money issues, that males often kill the cubs of other males and so forth.

I can't speak for the zoo though so I don't know what their reasoning is.

As I've said before, I wish people would complain and boycott zoos and circuses but they won't.

I get room issues, I do. But I do not get breeding more animals which will create more issues with room, not unless they claim they are only going to breed females. I saw your post about the male lions and having to separate them, I get that, It might have been a lot easier for them to find a place for the 2 cubs or keep one male cub and give the other away IMO, instead of trying to find a place for a family of 4 to bring in a new male. See what I mean? It just seems irresponsible.

IMO, its far worse than merely irresponsible.

As I have said, many of these animals end up in canned hunts, especially in Texass.

Zoos are for-profit businesses and they hang on by a thread. If they don't make enough money, they don't feed their animals. I'm not defending them. I despise zoos. I'm just explaining the reality of feeding and housing exotics. Its incredibly expensive.

They get people in by producing babies. Everyone loves giant kittens but grumpy old male lions? Not so much.

Genetics is a very real issue as well. As species are wiped out in the wild, the gene pool shrinks.

So older adults get replaced. Very quietly replaced.

In the past, it would be reported that "he died quietly" when in fact, he had been loaded into a truck in the middle of the night.

For some species, there are borrowing programs where individuals are loaned out for breeding purposes but that's not common for a species like the African lion because, as I say, they're a dime a dozen.

CaféAuLait;8848575 said:
Oh - actually, I did talk about the problems of housing additional cats, money issues, that males often kill the cubs of other males and so forth.

I can't speak for the zoo though so I don't know what their reasoning is.

As I've said before, I wish people would complain and boycott zoos and circuses but they won't.

I get room issues, I do. But I do not get breeding more animals which will create more issues with room, not unless they claim they are only going to breed females. I saw your post about the male lions and having to separate them, I get that, It might have been a lot easier for them to find a place for the 2 cubs or keep one male cub and give the other away IMO, instead of trying to find a place for a family of 4 to bring in a new male. See what I mean? It just seems irresponsible.

As I have said, many of these animals end up in canned hunts, especially in Texass.

Zoos are for-profit businesses and they hang on by a thread. If they don't make enough money, they don't feed their animals. I'm not defending them. I despise zoos. I'm just explaining the reality of feeding and housing exotics. Its incredibly expensive.

They get people in by producing babies. Everyone loves giant kittens but grumpy old male lions? Not so much.

Genetics is a very real issue as well. As species are wiped out in the wild, the gene pool shrinks.

In the past, it would be reported that "he died quietly" when in fact, he had been loaded into a truck in the middle of the night.

For some species, there are borrowing programs where individuals are loaned out for breeding purposes but that's not common for a species like the African lion because, as I say, they're a dime a dozen.

I agree with everything you have said here. Where did they get that rare white rhino from recently to shoot?

CaféAuLait;8848723 said:
CaféAuLait;8848575 said:

I agree with everything you have said here. Where did they get that rare white rhino from recently to shoot?

As I remember, he was wild.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Heard about this yesterday. They killed the lions because the new lion would have killed them anyway. How about not get a new lion, then?

Bingo. Better yet, how about not set up animal prisons for no reason other than humans' convenience to go gawk at them up close and pretend we're watching "wildlife". This primitive concept is as perverse and in need of as being relegated to ancient history as cockfighting and bloodletting.

cah_zoo2.jpg

Heard about this yesterday. They killed the lions because the new lion would have killed them anyway. How about not get a new lion, then?

Bingo. Better yet, how about not set up animal prisons for no reason other than humans' convenience to go gawk at them up close and pretend we're watching "wildlife". This primitive concept is as perverse and in need of as being relegated to ancient history as cockfighting and bloodletting.

cah_zoo2.jpg

By the time people finally GET IT, there won't be any more left in the wild. As it is, there are more tigers in captivity than in the wild. Big headline I read was that TWO poachers were killed. Two.

BFD.

CaféAuLait;8848723 said:

As I remember, he was wild.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

BTW, this was arranged by and for Safari Club International. They're a group of ultra wealthy with a lot more money than heart or brains. They're trophy hunters. Their stated goal is for each individual to kill and nail on their wall at least one of every animal on the planet.

A jerk named Chuck McElroy built a horror show called the International Wildlife Museum in Tucson. The locals called it the Dead Head Museum. At first, the local schools would arrange field trips but the kids were reporting nightmares. I know because I volunteered with my grand kid's schools and the kids talked to each other.

I was in the place a couple of times. One two-story wall had row after row after row of the stuffed heads of the very same species. They were crammed next to each other, one dead animal after another.

There were similar, really weird and disgusting displays, including several that showed taxidermy in stages, starting with a bloody display of killing the animals.

Among other really disgusting crap he pulled, McElroy wanted to shoot a deer in velvet so he could nail the head on the wall but the feds denied his request.

Forum List

Back