Corporate welfare in action ....

Ok so these deals really aren't good? You want the state to make bad deals and make other companies pay for them?

Just those with all the lobbying do well?

Wait a minute....... if a city or state offers tax abatements to a certain company to bring business and hundreds or thousands of jobs there, and it doesn't effect the tax rate other businesses are paying, then what's the harm to those other businesses?

If I own Ray's antique shop, and I learn that a major operation is moving in which will bring in more consumers to our area, I think I would benefit from that.

Not only would I benefit from that, but when the city or town needs more tax revenue to keep things going, it's less likely they will be increasing my taxes because of the new revenue from the new business.

This is a business floor plan. Walmart moves into an area. Walmart is what's called an anchor store. Smaller businesses open up near Walmart to take advantage of Walmart's ability to draw in large crowds. I won't be paying anymore in taxes and Walmart will draw new customers that I never had before.

So I guess the question is, who loses when a city gives a business tax breaks?

You just said they can't stay afloat if they offer the deal to everyone. Yet you claim all these great things are coming from this deal. If there are so many great things then they can offer the deal to everyone. Certainly everyone getting this great deal is better than just one great deal.

So you give walmart a great deal and now they have all the advantages of being a huge company as well as the gov has picked them to win. So what happens:
Opinion: Study shows Walmart kills small biz

Or you throw a bunch of money at solyndra and oops, they go under. The government should not be picking winners and losers.

Since you are not a capitalist, what is it you are? What is better than free market capitalism?

Solyndra is an apple and oranges comparison. Solyndra was political and political only. It didn't benefit society or the general public. It only bought votes for the Democrat party.

No, they cannot offer the deal to everybody. It's like anything else, the more you buy, the cheaper it is.

Mom and Pop have their beverage store and pay X amount in taxes. Mom and pop have about four workers. They may not be great paying jobs, but they are jobs.

A company moves in down the street from mom and pop and opens up a northeast warehousing operation. They are going to have 60 docks, they are going to employ about 200 people, they get a tax break from the city to build their warehouse. It doesn't hurt mom and pop one bit.

Okay, so why don't we lower everybody's taxes so that mom and pop pay the same as the new warehouse? Because if they did that, then the new warehouse operation would not be moving there. They would move somewhere that's making a better offer and then you're back to square one. Mom and Pop would still be paying the same taxation, and likely see an increase down the road when the city needs more money.

Solyndra is the government picking winner and losers. You think corporate welfare isn't political? It is lobbyists making deals with politicians for preferential treatment. Yes it is all political. And it is all bad capitalism.

Playing devils advocate; Why shouldn't we financially help business like most other governments?

Well that has already been covered quite a bit on this thread. If the government chooses to subsidize certain businesses they go against the market and leads to things Solyndra. It ended up being a very bad investment. If you let the fair market work we will be in the right business rather than propping up a business that isn't sustainable.

Did you read that article???

Yes I did. Why do you ask?

Because it points out all the real damage done by the artificial incentives. I assume that you posted it because you believe it supports your position, but I'm not seeing how.

If you read the article it points out that not only consumers are harmed by Walmart pulling out, but other businesses as well. Walmart being an anchor store draws people to the area where they shop at those smaller stores.

If you have a hat business, not many people will travel 10 or 15 miles out of their way to check out your hat store. But if you have a Walmart that brought them to your mall anyway, they may stop in to see what you have going on there. You may have a dress shop, or perhaps a sports store where you sell guns, bows and arrows, and camping equipment.

It's true Walmart carries many of these times too, but they have a limited selection because they are not specializing in one specific category of merchandise. So if somebody wants a great raincoat for camping, they may not be happy with what Walmart carries which are cheaper products. They may stop at your sporting goods store to see if you carry heavy duty raincoats.
It seems you didn't read it:
While Walmart also opened hundreds of stores around the world last year, keeping its net store count the same, its pullout was devastating for rural communities where smaller retailers had closed their doors when Walmart came to town.

Which is what I said. Walmart does close some stores but also opens others. That's besides the fact Walmart doesn't really close anything down, the customers do.

Your link doesn't support your claim of opening new businesses. In fact that seems counter to everything. Your link clearly states it forces other businesses to close.

So who would make the law and who would enforce it?

The federal government cannot interfere in a state or cities taxation policies, and cities and states would never write laws that disadvantage them.
No idea what you're talking about here. Can you rephrase it?

It's right above you. You said no government at any level should be allowed...........

Okay, not allowed by whom? Who should stop a city or state from offering tax abatements?
I think it's a (rare) proper application of the Commerce Clause, so the federal courts would be the likely authority.

What does the commerce clause have to do with this? The commerce clause basically deals with transactions over state lines. States Rights gives states the ability to tax who and how they desire.

In order for the Supreme Court to hear such a case, somebody would have to fight it through the court systems to get to the Supreme Court costing Lord knows how many thousands of dollars. Who would fight this case and spend their money to do so?
/---/ how many mom and pops did Woolwoths and RH Macy's put out of business back in their hay day? Woolworths had the resources to crush Walmart when they first started expanding but they were over confident, moribund and stubborn to act. Walmart buried them and Kmart. It's called business

We had a few hardware stores here. One was family run. It was a great little place and did well until Home Depot opened up an outlet about seven miles away.

So I was making a delivery and started talking with the guy who was unloading me. He lived in the same area. He said "Did you hear about how Maple Hardware was closing down?" I told him what the hardware store owner told me which was about Home Depot putting him out off business. He replied "Yeah, but that sucks man, I really liked that store!"

So I asked "Out of the last seven times you needed hardware, how many of those times did YOU go to Home Depot?" He hung his head low and said quietly "About six of those times." I said well that's why they are closing the hardware store!

Government doesn't choose winners and losers. Big box doesn't choose winners and losers. The customers choose winners and losers. If we don't support our local mom and pop shops, they close down. That's why I frequently shop at the other hardware store that didn't close down and is still doing pretty well to my knowledge.

Wait a minute....... if a city or state offers tax abatements to a certain company to bring business and hundreds or thousands of jobs there, and it doesn't effect the tax rate other businesses are paying, then what's the harm to those other businesses?

If I own Ray's antique shop, and I learn that a major operation is moving in which will bring in more consumers to our area, I think I would benefit from that.

Not only would I benefit from that, but when the city or town needs more tax revenue to keep things going, it's less likely they will be increasing my taxes because of the new revenue from the new business.

This is a business floor plan. Walmart moves into an area. Walmart is what's called an anchor store. Smaller businesses open up near Walmart to take advantage of Walmart's ability to draw in large crowds. I won't be paying anymore in taxes and Walmart will draw new customers that I never had before.

So I guess the question is, who loses when a city gives a business tax breaks?

You just said they can't stay afloat if they offer the deal to everyone. Yet you claim all these great things are coming from this deal. If there are so many great things then they can offer the deal to everyone. Certainly everyone getting this great deal is better than just one great deal.

So you give walmart a great deal and now they have all the advantages of being a huge company as well as the gov has picked them to win. So what happens:
Opinion: Study shows Walmart kills small biz

Or you throw a bunch of money at solyndra and oops, they go under. The government should not be picking winners and losers.

Since you are not a capitalist, what is it you are? What is better than free market capitalism?

Solyndra is an apple and oranges comparison. Solyndra was political and political only. It didn't benefit society or the general public. It only bought votes for the Democrat party.

No, they cannot offer the deal to everybody. It's like anything else, the more you buy, the cheaper it is.

Mom and Pop have their beverage store and pay X amount in taxes. Mom and pop have about four workers. They may not be great paying jobs, but they are jobs.

A company moves in down the street from mom and pop and opens up a northeast warehousing operation. They are going to have 60 docks, they are going to employ about 200 people, they get a tax break from the city to build their warehouse. It doesn't hurt mom and pop one bit.

Okay, so why don't we lower everybody's taxes so that mom and pop pay the same as the new warehouse? Because if they did that, then the new warehouse operation would not be moving there. They would move somewhere that's making a better offer and then you're back to square one. Mom and Pop would still be paying the same taxation, and likely see an increase down the road when the city needs more money.

Solyndra is the government picking winner and losers. You think corporate welfare isn't political? It is lobbyists making deals with politicians for preferential treatment. Yes it is all political. And it is all bad capitalism.

Solyndra was not picking winners and losers because Solyndra was a loser anyway. Solyndra didn't benefit the public not one iota. Therefore it was just DumBama kissing the asses of environmentalist.

If the Chinese government hadn't subsidized competing (their) technology, Solyndra would have done well.

George Kaiser Family Foundation,
U.S. Venture Partners,
CMEA Ventures,
Redpoint Ventures,
Virgin Green Fund,
Madrone Capital Partners,
RockPort Capital Partners,
Argonaut Private Equity,
Masdar and Artis Capital Management.
The US tax payer

ALL lost because of foreign subsidy.

The government shouldn't be subsidizing anybody, and by subsidy, I don't mean tax breaks, I mean the government physically giving a business a check. It's simply not what our federal government is for. Our federal government was created to govern, and that's it.

No idea what you're talking about here. Can you rephrase it?

It's right above you. You said no government at any level should be allowed...........

Okay, not allowed by whom? Who should stop a city or state from offering tax abatements?
I think it's a (rare) proper application of the Commerce Clause, so the federal courts would be the likely authority.

What does the commerce clause have to do with this? The commerce clause basically deals with transactions over state lines. States Rights gives states the ability to tax who and how they desire.

In order for the Supreme Court to hear such a case, somebody would have to fight it through the court systems to get to the Supreme Court costing Lord knows how many thousands of dollars. Who would fight this case and spend their money to do so?
/---/ how many mom and pops did Woolwoths and RH Macy's put out of business back in their hay day? Woolworths had the resources to crush Walmart when they first started expanding but they were over confident, moribund and stubborn to act. Walmart buried them and Kmart. It's called business

We had a few hardware stores here. One was family run. It was a great little place and did well until Home Depot opened up an outlet about seven miles away.

So I was making a delivery and started talking with the guy who was unloading me. He lived in the same area. He said "Did you hear about how Maple Hardware was closing down?" I told him what the hardware store owner told me which was about Home Depot putting him out off business. He replied "Yeah, but that sucks man, I really liked that store!"

So I asked "Out of the last seven times you needed hardware, how many of those times did YOU go to Home Depot?" He hung his head low and said quietly "About six of those times." I said well that's why they are closing the hardware store!

Government doesn't choose winners and losers. Big box doesn't choose winners and losers. The customers choose winners and losers. If we don't support our local mom and pop shops, they close down. That's why I frequently shop at the other hardware store that didn't close down and is still doing pretty well to my knowledge.

So the other day my buddy he stepped on a frog. Then right away it started to rain. So if you want it to rain go step on a frog.

Stop with the silly stories which can't be proven. Your one attempt at a link was counter your arguments. You really need to think about believing in capitalism and the free market.

If it is all about taxes, why was Kansas such a failure?

So the other day my buddy he stepped on a frog. Then right away it started to rain. So if you want it to rain go step on a frog.

Stop with the silly stories which can't be proven. Your one attempt at a link was counter your arguments. You really need to think about believing in capitalism and the free market.

“Anchor tenants, or a national tenant like a Starbucks or a Shoppers [Drug Mart], or a No Frills … or a Save-On-Foods — those are the businesses that will draw other businesses to locate there, as well as patrons,” Leung said in an interview.

LedMac owns a strip mall in Maple Ridge with roughly 9,800 square feet of retail space, he said. They were able to anchor the mall with a Starbucks at one end and Mac’s convenience store at the other. Once those two shops were locked-in, several other businesses, including a hair salon, a donair shop and vet clinic, were also keen to sign leases."

Anchor tenant the key to attracting other businesses

Culture
Malls with anchor stores have consistently outperformed those without one, as the anchor helps draw shoppers initially attracted to the anchor to shop at other stores in the mall.[2]

Anchor store - Wikipedia

"Macy’s disappearing stores point up an acute problem for shopping malls, which traditionally have two or three department stores as their anchor tenants. Those anchors help lure shoppers to the benefit of smaller retailers in the mall."

How does a mall cope when a big tenant like Macy's closes?

So there are countless stories that support my claim. Little stores heavily rely on larger anchor stores to survive in a mall or shopping setting.

“Anchor tenants, or a national tenant like a Starbucks or a Shoppers [Drug Mart], or a No Frills … or a Save-On-Foods — those are the businesses that will draw other businesses to locate there, as well as patrons,” Leung said in an interview.

LedMac owns a strip mall in Maple Ridge with roughly 9,800 square feet of retail space, he said. They were able to anchor the mall with a Starbucks at one end and Mac’s convenience store at the other. Once those two shops were locked-in, several other businesses, including a hair salon, a donair shop and vet clinic, were also keen to sign leases."

Culture
Malls with anchor stores have consistently outperformed those without one, as the anchor helps draw shoppers initially attracted to the anchor to shop at other stores in the mall.[2]

Anchor store - Wikipedia

"Macy’s disappearing stores point up an acute problem for shopping malls, which traditionally have two or three department stores as their anchor tenants. Those anchors help lure shoppers to the benefit of smaller retailers in the mall."

So there are countless stories that support my claim. Little stores heavily rely on larger anchor stores to survive in a mall or shopping setting.

Ok so you are talking about malls. I don't really know of any walmarts as a part of a mall. But you are claiming a walmart creates more businesses than it closes. Nothing in those links makes that claim. A business isn't created if it moves from one location to a mall.

[
/----/ if the government writes a check to a company in exchange for moving to an area then that is corporate welfare. But if the government simply reduces the tax bill for a set time in exchange for the move it is not welfare.
micromanaging our tax codes for Individuals, is worse and could be considered, legally unethical, from a laissez-fair perspective. Only the right wing, never gets it.
/----/ Oh we get it. But until Washington reforms the tax code this crap will continue. My only issue is with the term Corporate Welfare.

Corporate Welfare is government support or subsidy of private business, such as by tax incentives.

Get it now?
/----/ So to repeat my self for the libtard challenged: Oh we get it. But until Washington reforms the tax code this crap will continue. My only issue is with the term Corporate Welfare.
How about "Corporate Socialism"? That's more to the point.

Culture

Anchor store - Wikipedia

Perhaps the real question is, does walmart benefit from these stores? Are they making money? If so, why should they receive corporate welfare to build a store? Would it be better if there was a Cosco instead? Why should Walmart be given an upper hand over Costco? The best run company should be winning, not who the government chooses. The gov doesn't choose very well as we learned with Solyndra. The government shouldn't be picking which company goes where.

State Fiscal Rankings

Culture

Anchor store - Wikipedia

Perhaps the real question is, does walmart benefit from these stores? Are they making money? If so, why should they receive corporate welfare to build a store? Would it be better if there was a Cosco instead? Why should Walmart be given an upper hand over Costco? The best run company should be winning, not who the government chooses. The gov doesn't choose very well as we learned with Solyndra. The government shouldn't be picking which company goes where.

So who says Costco doesn't get tax abatements? I'm sure they do.

No, Walmart does not benefit from those stores--those stores benefit from Walmart.

What the government "picks" are those industries that most benefit their city or state. And again, tax cuts are not welfare by any stretch of the imagination. It's a liberal term designed to mislead people about the actuality of a situation.

Culture

Anchor store - Wikipedia

Ok so you are talking about malls. I don't really know of any walmarts as a part of a mall. But you are claiming a walmart creates more businesses than it closes. Nothing in those links makes that claim. A business isn't created if it moves from one location to a mall.

It does if they decide to open up a new outlet in the mall.

Yes, Walmart's are usually part of a mall.......at least all the ones I've seen. I don't know of any free standing Walmart's that sit alone with no other businesses around them. And it's not exclusive to malls, it could be a general shopping center.

If a city thought that a Walmart would do more harm than good, they wouldn't allow a Walmart to be built there. But most areas find Walmart's to add jobs, add businesses, and of course, add new taxation. So in most cases, they welcome anchor stores with open arms.

Culture

Anchor store - Wikipedia

No, Walmart does not benefit from those stores--those stores benefit from Walmart.

What the government "picks" are those industries that most benefit their city or state. And again, tax cuts are not welfare by any stretch of the imagination. It's a liberal term designed to mislead people about the actuality of a situation.

Yes they probably do, but why? That is no way to make good business decisions.

I ment does walmart benefit from building more stores. I think the answer is obviously yes. So why should the gov pay for them to grow their business when they make billions?

Do they pick industries that benefit their city or state? How did Solyndra workout? They pick whoever lobbies the most. Why would you think they are good at picking?

It is a liberal term? Charles Koch is a liberal? Ron Paul is a liberal?

Culture

Anchor store - Wikipedia

Yes, Walmart's are usually part of a mall.......at least all the ones I've seen. I don't know of any free standing Walmart's that sit alone with no other businesses around them. And it's not exclusive to malls, it could be a general shopping center.

If a city thought that a Walmart would do more harm than good, they wouldn't allow a Walmart to be built there. But most areas find Walmart's to add jobs, add businesses, and of course, add new taxation. So in most cases, they welcome anchor stores with open arms.

You just said your walmart left the mall.

Culture

Anchor store - Wikipedia

Yes I did, and I also pointed out it created a domino effect of other stores leaving and new ones (that planned to come in) not signing a lease without Walmart.

Culture

Anchor store - Wikipedia

Yes I did, and I also pointed out it created a domino effect of other stores leaving and new ones (that planned to come in) not signing a lease without Walmart.

So all the ones you have seen aren't at malls?

Culture

Anchor store - Wikipedia

I ment does walmart benefit from building more stores. I think the answer is obviously yes. So why should the gov pay for them to grow their business when they make billions?

Do they pick industries that benefit their city or state? How did Solyndra workout? They pick whoever lobbies the most. Why would you think they are good at picking?

So why should the gov pay for them to grow their business when they make billions?

They don't pay them anything. They give them tax relief if they do bring their business and money there, create jobs there, and create a new working tax revenue provided by the employees. When everything is said and done, cities and states are at an advantage.

Solyndra did not get a tax abatement. Solyndra got actual corporate welfare; that is to say they got a government check to put into their business. It was not city, it was not state. DumBama gave them that money.

Culture

Anchor store - Wikipedia

So all the ones you have seen aren't at malls?

No, they are either at malls or at shopping centers.

Culture

Anchor store - Wikipedia

So why should the gov pay for them to grow their business when they make billions?

They don't pay them anything. They give them tax relief if they do bring their business and money there, create jobs there, and create a new working tax revenue provided by the employees. When everything is said and done, cities and states are at an advantage.

Solyndra did not get a tax abatement. Solyndra got actual corporate welfare; that is to say they got a government check to put into their business. It was not city, it was not state. DumBama gave them that money.

Tax relief for one company, while other companies pay the bill.

Culture

Anchor store - Wikipedia

Tax relief for one company, while other companies pay the bill.
/----/ so what's your incentive for businesses to move to your area and provide jobs and tax revenue even if reduced for a time?

Forum List

Back