🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Cosmos, the tv show

Actually, he does make a good point

Distant stars could have existed long before God created the earth. So when "poof" the earth popped up, that light was already reaching us.

Remember, the Earth is special. God may have created it at a different point of time than other things. So light reaching us from distant stars has no bearing on when the Earth came into existence. It just mean we are receiving that light now.
Not according to the "scientifically accurate" bible.
The Earth was created on the third day and the sun and stars were created on the fourth day.

Even if that was the case, Our supernatural intelligent designer could have increased the speed of light right before the light from distant stars reached the Earth, and then slowed them down to the "scientifically measured" speed.

Come on, as long as I have "Mr Impossible" on my side, I can willfully challenge any science/rational explanation describing the world around us!!

Wow! Your god sure does love to fuck with anyone with a rational mind, don't he. Mindlessness is bliss, aye.

Last edited by a moderator:
is it just me ...i find the show rather ...well dumbed down to a certain point..and i will admit that i generally fall asleep watching it.....but i do not like the mix of science and animation so much...a lot of it on this show is just for 'looks'

it would have been nice if the show were a bit more ...unfettered with the looks part
Agreed.

I find it to be far to focused on the little speck of dust that is the Earth, rather than the universe in general.

In comparison to the original, the reboot has been a big disappointment.

is it just me ...i find the show rather ...well dumbed down to a certain point..and i will admit that i generally fall asleep watching it.....but i do not like the mix of science and animation so much...a lot of it on this show is just for 'looks'

it would have been nice if the show were a bit more ...unfettered with the looks part
Agreed.

I find it to be far to focused on the little speck of dust that is the Earth, rather than the universe in general.

In comparison to the original, the reboot has been a big disappointment.
If you want something more in depth, you should try The Mechanical Universe. It is the freshman physics course at Cal Tech, where the genius' go. The lectures are augmented with video and animations that make even the calculus easy to follow.

Resource: The Mechanical Universe...and Beyond

Here is a sample:

The earth's 24 hour rotation makes everyone travel at 1,500 kilometers per hour.
The earth traveling around the sun means everyone travels at 100,000 kilometers per hour.
Our galaxy is traveling through space at a half million kilometers per hour.
Anyone feeling any jet lag?
At the speed of light, it takes the sun's rays eight hours to reach us.
The light we see from the nearest galaxy to us takes 100,000 light years to reach us, which means what we are seeing is a galaxy as it was 100,000 years ago. That really puts a hole in the evangelical's belief that creation is only 6,000 years old.

Just a few trivia from the COSMOS show.

YOUR "thinking" IS FAULTY!!! GOD CREATED THE UNIVERSE WITH JUST HIS WORDS, GOD threw(flung) the stars oud from HIM INTO EMPTY SPACE, their light went out before it comes back. way,way, over your head!!! huh???

The earth's 24 hour rotation makes everyone travel at 1,500 kilometers per hour.
The earth traveling around the sun means everyone travels at 100,000 kilometers per hour.
The light we see from the nearest galaxy to us takes 100,000 light years to reach us, which means what we are seeing is a galaxy as it was 100,000 years ago. That really puts a hole in the evangelical's belief that creation is only 6,000 years old.

YOUR "thinking" IS FAULTY!!! GOD CREATED THE UNIVERSE WITH JUST HIS WORDS, GOD threw(flung) the stars oud from HIM INTO EMPTY SPACE, their light went out before it comes back. way,way, over your head!!! huh???

Are you being facetious?

The subject of the thread is the Cosmos reboot, which is not anywhere near as good as the original.

Maybe you need to start a thread of your own about that particular program.
Yeah, God forbid you should actually learn something!

The subject of the thread is the Cosmos reboot, which is not anywhere near as good as the original.

Maybe. Maybe not.
But they both cover the same material.
Glad you liked the first one.
I think they are both excellent.

THINK!!! If you were standing by a man with a spotlight and he turned the spotlight onto a jet with a spotlight on it's tail that pointed back to you that flew away would you see the light go out or see it comming back????? TRY TO THINK!

Maybe. Maybe not.
But they both cover the same material.
Glad you liked the first one.
I think they are both excellent.
Exactly!
The complaint was made that it was too dumbed down and not broad enough, so I simply offered a source that answers their complaints. The poster obviously didn't even watch the video, the part 1 intro to the 52 part series, as they replied after only 3 minutes.

Here is part 2, where they get into the actual physics in an easy to understand manner.

THINK!!! If you were standing by a man with a spotlight and he turned the spotlight onto a jet with a spotlight on it's tail that pointed back to you that flew away would you see the light go out or see it comming back????? TRY TO THINK!

Are you being facetious?

You're asking a dude that's been carrying a sign for forty years on a street corner that says, "the end is near".

Your "thinking" is non existent. Your fairy tail is not much different than the ancient Egyptians, except they say the stars came as he ejaculated when he gave himself a hand job.

Last edited:

Your "thinking" is non existent. Your fairy tail is not much different than the ancient Egyptians, except they say the stars came as he ejaculated when he gave himself a hand job.
WHAT SHAME AND GUILT YOU MUST CARRY= to know the GOD of all creation says about you==The fool has said in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniquity psalm 53:1

WHAT SHAME AND GUILT YOU MUST CARRY= to know the GOD of all creation says about you==The fool has said in his heart,
“There is no God.”

I know God far more than you. I admit my guilt, you pretend you have none. Matthew 7:21

Last edited:
“There is no God.”

I know God far more than you. I admit my guilt, you pretend you have none. Matthew 7:21

One of the few things GOD says he hates is a FALSE WITTNESS!!!AND YOU

^^
You must be freaking out by now. Talk of the earth being one large continent, and the Mediterranean being formed in one year really messes with your sense of creation.

Last edited:

O.k., I think.

1. a jet is pretty slow to have any effect on the speed of light, even if you neglect the relativity theory.

2. I consider a spotlght on a jets tail a rather funny idea.

3. You will NEVER see light going out. Why? Because it's heading AWAY from yoy. Get it?
Maybe you should learn that you are not Superman, who has obviously an active view (with "viewbeams" going out, I never understood how that works), but a simple being with simple electromagnetic wave detectors (eyes) which can only capture INCOMING radiation.

4. Once you understood that (maybe that takes some time) you are ready to understand, that the assumptions of a relative viewpoint on lightbeams heading against each other are purely hypothetical, because for the sake of simplicity the fact that you wouldn's see one of them from the outside is neglected.

5. Maybe we should postpone the thing about speed of light, spacetime and gravity to a later day.

Forum List

Back