Cosmos, the tv show

I'd say it's pretty good. The information is definitely aimed at science 'beginners' if you will. But the last episode got fairly deep into analyzing the color spectrum which I didn't learn until college and totally blew my mind.

Really? We learned the color spectrum in grade school. I knew the schools have been dumbed down but that's astonishing.

But....he flies around in a CGI spaceship.

He's a morm??

Who knew?

The earth's 24 hour rotation makes everyone travel at 1,500 kilometers per hour.
The earth traveling around the sun means everyone travels at 100,000 kilometers per hour.
Our galaxy is traveling through space at a half million kilometers per hour.
Anyone feeling any jet lag?
At the speed of light, it takes the sun's rays eight hours to reach us.
The light we see from the nearest galaxy to us takes 100,000 light years to reach us, which means what we are seeing is a galaxy as it was 100,000 years ago. That really puts a hole in the evangelical's belief that creation is only 6,000 years old.

Just a few trivia from the COSMOS show.

The fact is, no one knows for sure how old the world is.

Which world?

In which galaxy?

The earth's 24 hour rotation makes everyone travel at 1,500 kilometers per hour.
The earth traveling around the sun means everyone travels at 100,000 kilometers per hour.
The light we see from the nearest galaxy to us takes 100,000 light years to reach us, which means what we are seeing is a galaxy as it was 100,000 years ago. That really puts a hole in the evangelical's belief that creation is only 6,000 years old.

Actually, we do. The same physics that gives us nuclear power and atomic weapons gives us the ability to determine the age of the Earth. Radio isotopic decay is well understood despite what you may have been lead to believe. The uranium/lead decay rate tells us that the Earth is at least 4.567 billion years old. This is not an unambiguous finding.

But we can make a reasonable assumption that the Universe is more than 6,000 years old based simply on the time it would take for light to travel here from stars within our own galaxy.

Howdy Colorado, I was born in Colo. Springs, raised in Gunnison. Good to see ya.

I'm also from that neck of the woods. Did my first two years of college at Western State. Loved it but wanted more science than they offered. I worked at the Tomahawk Inn. I wonder if its still there. The inn, not the college.

Actually, we do. The same physics that gives us nuclear power and atomic weapons gives us the ability to determine the age of the Earth. Radio isotopic decay is well understood despite what you may have been lead to believe. The uranium/lead decay rate tells us that the Earth is at least 4.567 billion years old. This is not an unambiguous finding.

Yep, no more than evolution is.

But we can make a reasonable assumption that the Universe is more than 6,000 years old based simply on the time it would take for light to travel here from stars within our own galaxy.

Howdy Colorado, I was born in Colo. Springs, raised in Gunnison. Good to see ya.

Gunni's a nice place. I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail with a fella who lives there. I was born in Denver and lived in Leadville for ten years but I'm back down in D-town.

No mountains down town.

I'm also from that neck of the woods. Did my first two years of college at Western State. Loved it but wanted more science than they offered. I worked at the Tomahawk Inn. I wonder if its still there. The inn, not the college.

Right on man. Western is for aggies. Never heard of the Tomahawk. When were you there? The last time I was there was 1998, then I moved from South Fork Co. to Powell Junction Idaho. 13 feet of snow in my front yard that winter, so moved to Sierra Vista Az., then on to Tucson for a few years. Then to Elkins W.V, then Albuquerque, and now the eastern panhandle of W.V.. I'm ready to go back west of the front range, where there aren't so damn many people, even though I live in the sticks now.

Last edited:

How can you be certain that the time it would take for light to travel here from stars within our own galaxy has any bearing on the age of the earth.

I don't see the connection.

Basically it's just a guess because you do not know for sure and what makes your guess any more accurate than any one else's guess?

The reason you see no connection between the age of the Earth and the time it takes light to travel from stars within our own galaxy to Earth is because there is none: I said nothing about our planet but was talking about the age of the Universe.

Then you have really bad reading comprehension skills because you commented on my comment about how old the world is.

No one knows how old the universe OR the world is. Period.

How can you be certain that the time it would take for light to travel here from stars within our own galaxy has any bearing on the age of the earth.

Basically it's just a guess because you do not know for sure and what makes your guess any more accurate than any one else's guess?
Holy crap. This is the effect of schools in Texass replacing science with "intelligent design"!

Your concession is duly noted.

Which world?

In which galaxy?

world
[wurld] Show IPA

noun
1. the earth or globe, considered as a planet.

2. ( often initial capital letter ) a particular division of the earth: the Western world.

3. the earth or a part of it, with its inhabitants, affairs, etc., during a particular period: the ancient world.

4. humankind; the human race; humanity: The world must eliminate war and poverty.

5. the public generally: The whole world knows it.

Pick your poison!

You cannot know the radioactive concentrations that existed in the rock in the past.

You can get any date you like depending on the assumptions you make.

You cannot know the radioactive concentrations that existed in the rock in the past.

That isn't true.

Radioactive Dating

Moreover, thousands of laboratories across the globe conduct radio isotopic measurements every day with great precision and success. And believe me, if the methods weren't valid, they wouldn't waste their time and money on them.

Last edited:

The reason you see no connection between the age of the Earth and the time it takes light to travel from stars within our own galaxy to Earth is because there is none: I said nothing about our planet but was talking about the age of the Universe.

Then you have really bad reading comprehension skills because you commented on my comment about how old the world is.

Good thing scientists don't simply take your word for it.

Who has bad reading skills?

I said nothing about the age of the Earth. Nor did I say what I think the age of the Universe actually is.

All I said was that we can safely rule out that the Universe is older than 6,000 years because of the time it would take for the light we see from stars even in our own galaxy, not too mention from distant galaxies, to reach us.

That isn't true.

Radioactive Dating

Moreover, thousands of laboratories across the globe conduct radio isotopic measurements every day with great precision and success. And believe me, if the methods weren't valid, they wouldn't waste their time and money on them.

Sure it's true.

You must assume what radioactive elements were in the rock when it formed and depending on the assumptions you make you can obtain any date you like.

Evolutionary geologist won't accept radiometric dating unless it matches what they already believe to be true.

The way it really is: little-known facts about radiometric dating

References and notes

1.In addition to other unprovable assumptions, e.g. that the decay rate has never changed. Return to text.

2.Evolutionary geologists believe that the rocks are millions of years old because they assume they were formed very slowly. They have worked out their geologic timescale based on this assumption. This timescale deliberately ignores the catastrophic effects of the Biblical Flood, which deposited the rocks very quickly. Return to text.

3.This argument was used against creationist work that exposed problems with radiometric dating. Laboratory tests on rock formed from the 1980 eruption of Mt St Helens gave ‘ages’ of millions of years. Critics claimed that ‘old’ crystals contained in the rock contaminated the result. However, careful measurements by Dr Steve Austin showed this criticism to be wrong. See Swenson, K., Radio-dating in rubble, Creation 23(3):23–25, 2001. Return to text.

4.This argument was used against creationist work done on a piece of wood found in sandstone near Sydney, Australia, that was supposed to be 230 million years old. Critics claimed that the carbon-14 results were ‘too young’ because the wood had been contaminated by weathering. However, careful measurements of the carbon-13 isotope refuted this criticism. See Snelling, A.A., Dating dilemma: fossil wood in ‘ancient’ sandstone, Creation 21(3):39–41, 1999. Return to text.

5.Wasserburg, G.J., Isotopic abundances: inferences on solar system and planetary evolution, Earth and Planetary Sciences Letters 86:129–173, 150, 1987. Return

Good thing scientists don't simply take your word for it.

These scientist throw out results that don't fit what they believe to be correct and keep the ones that do.

“"The troubles of the radiocarbon dating method are undeniably deep and serious ... It should be no surprise, then, that fully half of the dates are rejected. The wonder is, surely, that the remaining half come to be accepted." (Lee, R. E., Radiocarbon, "Ages in Error", Anthropological Journal of Canada, 1981, vol. 19, No. 3, p. 9)” (Ham, Snelling, & Wieland)

There are also some tests that have been done that don’t quite match up. For instance, bones of a sabre-toothed tiger, theorized to be between 100,000 and one million years old, gave a Carbon date of 28,000 years. A freshly killed seal, dated using Carbon-14, showed it had died 1300 years ago. Living mollusk shells were dated at up to 2,300 years old. Some very unusual evidence is that living snails' shells showed that they had died 27,000 years ago. (Ham, Snelling, & Wieland)

Sources:

Chemistry: Molecules, Matter, and Change
By Loretta Jones and Peter Atkins
W.H. Freeman and Company, New York, 2000

Carbon-14
By Lynn Poole
Whittlesey House, 1961

The Carbon-14 Dating of Iron
By Nikolaas J. Van Der Merwe
The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1969

Who has bad reading skills?

I said nothing about the age of the Earth. Nor did I say what I think the age of the Universe actually is.

All I said was that we can safely rule out that the Universe is older than 6,000 years because of the time it would take for the light we see from stars even in our own galaxy, not too mention from distant galaxies, to reach us.

No one has said the universe was 6,000 years old so there is really nothing to rule out.

I still don't see how light from stars can reveal anything about the age of the universe nor the earth for that matter.

Forum List

Back