Could the US defeat China in a CONVENTIONAL war?

I do not think so at all.

If I am wrong, explain how the US would defeat China in an all out conventional war. Specifically.
I don't think there is such a thing as a conventional war between superpowers. Once one side starts noticeably losing, out come the nukes. I mean, really, as Trump once said, "What's the sense of having nuclear weapons if you aren't going to use them?". A conventional war between superpowers basically means Armageddon.

I do not think so at all.
If I am wrong, explain how the US would defeat China in an all out conventional war. Specifically.
You win a war by reducing your opponents ability to make war. This requires the ability to project force.
We have that. They do not. Thus, we can win

Blockade their ports, Destroy their power plants. Blow a dam and threaten to blow more.
Eventually they will cede.

Chinas Navy is a joke by comparison. Much like the famed Spanish Armada, the bulk of their vessels are retrofitted merchant, and fishing vessels, pressed into service; rather than purpose built war machines. Their best carrier is an old Soviet era diesel chugger. Even their carrier based fighters cannot lift off from their carriers with a full payload because the engines suck. Couple all that with no real world experience in naval combat, and it would be over quite quickly…
None of that is true

Chinese shipyards are building warships from scratch that can rival the US Navy

Does that mean china would win the next war?

Not necessarily

But they are a growing threat

None of that is true
Chinese shipyards are building warships from scratch that can rival the US Navy
The newest PLAN carrier has less capability than USS Midway. - launched in 1945, retired in 1992.
Welcome to the mid-1950s, Comrades.

The newest PLAN carrier has less capability than USS Midway. - launched in 1945, retired in 1992.
Welcome to the mid-1950s, Comrades.
China is not strong in carriers

But they dont have to be since the battle will take place just off their shore where they have plenty of land based aircraft

China is not strong in carriers
But they dont have to be....
They do if the want to project force and/or challenge the USNs ability to operate freely.
Else, they're they just playing defense and reacting to us.

They do if the want to project force and/or challenge the USNs ability to operate freely.
Else, they're they just playing defense and reacting to us.
What china wants is control of Taiwan becuse that gives them control of the Taiwan Straight and ultimately the South China Sea

And thats the only mission that the chinese military has to accomplish

Whereas the US Navy must be deployed all over the world

What the hell is a "conventional war"? Invading China? Invading the US? Taiwan? Togo?

I would say neither has a chance of invading the other right now. The chances would increase if a certain number of people would support the invasion for whatever reason.

What china wants is control of Taiwan becuse that gives them control of the Taiwan Straight and ultimately the South China Sea
And thats the only mission that the chinese military has to accomplish
The scenario is a conventional war between the US and China.
If the US cannot operate in the strategic theater against the US - that is, challenge the US navy in the open ocean - then China cannot win.

The scenario is a conventional war between the US and China.
If the US cannot operate in the strategic theater against the US - that is, challenge the US navy in the open ocean - then China cannot win.
What do you mean by the “open sea?”

China does not have to control the entire Pacific Ocean

What the communists want is control of the waters just off their coast

Which is also the water next to Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan, ect

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
What do you mean by the “open sea?”
China does not have to control the entire Pacific Ocean
China needs to impede the USN in its operations - else, the USN can endlessly supply its combat units and endlessly project force upon China's strategic infrastructure

Put otherwise, even if China can take Taiwan, the US can force China to give it back by, as I said, blockading its ports and blowing up its powerplants, dams, bridges, whatever.

China needs to impede the USN in its operations - else, the USN can endlessly supply its combat units and endlessly project force upon China's strategic infrastructure

Put otherwise, even if China can take Taiwan, the US can force China to give it back by, as I said, blockading its ports and blowing up its powerplants, dams, bridges, whatever.
I dont think china plans to invade Taiwan

My guess is they will blockade the island and force the US to respond

If we do that will unquestionably lead to a wider conventional war

But china’s next move depends on what they believe the US will do

If they think the US president is weak they will strike

What we have to do is make sure our allies are united and ready to stand up to china

Thats the only way to preserve the peace and avoid war

I dont think china plans to invade Taiwan
My guess is they will blockade the island and force the US to respond
If we do that will unquestionably lead to a wider conventional war
But china’s next move depends on what they believe the US will do
If they think the US president is weak they will strike
What we have to do is make sure our allies are united and ready to stand up to china
Thats the only way to preserve the peace and avoid war
However true that it is, it is outside the topic at hand.

Not at all.
All across this country defacing and/or vandalism of war memorials all began at the same time. And has never stopped.
Most parks completely removed WWI and WWII monuments/statues a few decades ago.
Here locally both the WWI and WWII monuments were completely removed in the late 90s after repeated attempts to repair and secure them. The WWI monument was a statue of a soldier with wording on a podium below it. The podium is the only thing that remains. And most of the wording has been defaced. It was erected in 1919. And stood, untouched for over 70 years. 70 years of teenagers in an unsecured public park... no one touched it. Same for the WW II monument that had two large fantastic eagle statues on both sides of the large ornate monument. It was erected in 1948. And stood, untouched for over 40 years.
The eagles are gone. And on the back of the monument listed all of the war dead in this city. Many of the names have been defaced.
All of this occurred post 1990.
It is the same all over America.
Because teens today flat out are not patriotic.

Forum List

Back