Court Denies Teen’s Wish to Refuse Cancer Treatment

Her legal guardian is her parent in the state of Connecticut. So, when "Cassandra" and her mother did not follow through or missed the appointments it indicated that her mother was not denying her medical care. Connecticut is not going to do an Ohio.

But why does she have to take chemotherapy as her medical treatment what if she wants to do holistic healing or alternaitve medicine?

If she wanted to have an abortion which is a medical procedure the state would not step in and even in her mother's care the mom has no say about it, it is the girl's choice...her body her choide to undergo a medical procedure, but not in the other instance.

Yes, Cassandra is free to murder an unborn baby but not free to save her own life. Oh. The irony of it all.

She can also decide to have a pregancy or adopt.

The point for me is, she is allowed to make those decisions for her own body and the state won't take custody of her away from her mother over it either like they did over her wanting alternative medicine and no chemo.

Her legal guardian is her parent in the state of Connecticut. So, when "Cassandra" and her mother did not follow through or missed the appointments it indicated that her mother was not denying her medical care. Connecticut is not going to do an Ohio.

But why does she have to take chemotherapy as her medical treatment what if she wants to do holistic healing or alternaitve medicine?

If she wanted to have an abortion which is a medical procedure the state would not step in and even in her mother's care the mom has no say about it, it is the girl's choice...her body her choide to undergo a medical procedure, but not in the other instance.

Yes, Cassandra is free to murder an unborn baby but not free to save her own life. Oh. The irony of it all.

The point for me is, she is allowed to make those decisions for her own body and the state won't take custody of her away from her mother over it either like they did over her wanting alternative medicine and no chemo.

They have no right to force her to have chemo. They have a lot of nerve.

They have no right to force her to have chemo. They have a lot of nerve.

I don't know what is best for her, personally I would probably try the chemo if it was me.

But I honestly just don't understand why she is allowed to choose the right to her body in one instance and not the other.

Forgive me for not thanking you for this thread earlier, Drifter. It is one of the most important threads that was posted on USMB today. Because of the ramifications. Thank you for posting this thread. I appreciate it.

I have a relative that was diagnosed with cancer and it is being recommended that he take chemo. I am writing him a letter tomorrow advising against it. I cannot in good conscience see him go through with such a thing. It would destroy any chance of recovery he might have, in my opinion.

I suddenly thought of Quantum Windbag and it made me feel very sad. He had a battle with cancer you know.

Forgive me for not thanking you for this thread earlier, Drifter. It is one of the most important threads that was posted on USMB today. Because of the ramifications. Thank you for posting this thread. I appreciate it.

I have a relative that was diagnosed with cancer and it is being recommended that he take chemo. I am writing him a letter tomorrow advising against it. I cannot in good conscience see him go through with such a thing. It would destroy any chance of recovery he might have, in my opinion.

My sweetheart's sister died of cancer, and they found out later that there were alternatives that might have helped had she not taken the treatment she had already started.

So I understand your point of view.

I think everyone is so individual that I couldn't say what's best for each person.

It just bugs me so much to see the government take custody away from the mother, because the mom is probably already traumatized over her daughter being sick and then to have her daughter removed from the home for honoring her daughters wishes.

Yet, in a different scenario if the daughter was pregnant and wanted to terminate the pregnancy and have a medical procedure that is her choice 100%. It's her body her choice unless she has cancer then she is not allowed to choose a different treatment.

:dunno:

Because the 80-85% success rate is with chemo. Not with evil spirit removal spray or with acupuncture or any other "alternative" medicine. Connecticut, nor any state, should pull an Ohio. Ever.

Yep, no parental consent required for an abortion in Connecticut. I don't have a problem with that either. That one is more likely to be done anyway. It's safer to have it done in a clinic then in an alley.

But she is allowed to have a medical abortion procedure or refuse abortion because it is HER body and HER choice, and she should be allowed to refuse chemo if she doesn't want it.

In 3 months she will be 18 and can refuse chemo if she wants to.

The point to me is, why is she allowed to decide on a medical procedure for herself without anyones input in one instance but not the other ?

She has a higher success rate of living if she is able to acquire an abortion rather than the DIY version. That's why. When she turns 18, she can decide to stop the chemo.

Because the 80-85% success rate is with chemo. Not with evil spirit removal spray or with acupuncture or any other "alternative" medicine. Connecticut, nor any state, should pull an Ohio. Ever.

Yep, no parental consent required for an abortion in Connecticut. I don't have a problem with that either. That one is more likely to be done anyway. It's safer to have it done in a clinic then in an alley.

But she is allowed to have a medical abortion procedure or refuse abortion because it is HER body and HER choice, and she should be allowed to refuse chemo if she doesn't want it.

The point to me is, why is she allowed to decide on a medical procedure for herself without anyones input in one instance but not the other ?

She has a higher success rate of living if she is able to acquire an abortion rather than the DIY version. That's why. When she turns 18, she can decide to stop the chemo.

The success rate doesn't matter, if she was 18 (which she will be in 3 months) she would have the right to refuse chemo treatment.

If she has the right to decide on other medical procedure she should have the right in this as well.

The success rate doesn't matter, if she was 18 (which she will be in 3 months) she would have the right to refuse chemo treatment.

If she has the trigh tot decide on other medical procedure she should have the right in this as well.

I disagree.

You are a hypocrite. You proudly proclaim that assisted suicide should be a right, that 15 year olds should be allowed to get abortions with out parental permission or even knowledge and then claim a 17 year old should have no say over her own medical condition.

If she has the trigh tot decide on other medical procedure she should have the right in this as well.

I disagree.

That's fine with me.

But your reasoning you gave is irrelevant to me.

Because if she was 18 and refused nobody would say anything, so saying it has a high success rate doesn't really factor into the right to make your own decision for your body.

You are a hypocrite. You proudly proclaim that assisted suicide should be a right, that 15 year olds should be allowed to get abortions with out parental permission or even knowledge and then claim a 17 year old should have no say over her own medical condition.

What did I say?

I disagree.

That's fine with me.

Because if she was 18 and refused nobody would say anything, so saying it has a high success rate doesn't really factor into the right to make your own decision for your body.

If she was 18 or even if the state of Connecticut considered her to have reached the age of majority at 17 then it wouldn't be an issue.

The black market in Texas:
The Rise of the DIY Abortion in Texas - The Atlantic

Self induced abortion case:
The Back Alley Revisited Sepsis after Attempted Self-Induced Abortion

13 year old self induced abortion.
Girl performs at-home abortion Polk Township man 30 charged with rape concealing death of child - News - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg PA

Your argument is not relevant.

I disagree.

That's fine with me.

If she was 18 or even if the state of Connecticut considered her to have reached the age of majority at 17 then it wouldn't be an issue.

Girl performs at-home abortion Polk Township man 30 charged with rape concealing death of child - News - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg PA

Sorry but it is for me and you have not answered me why it is HER body HER choice in abortion but not in choosing her own medical care.

They are medical procedures why is she allowed to choose for herself under the right to choose because its her body but it's not ok in the next instance?

Abortion Rights
  • A teen in Connecticut does not have to get her parents’ permission to get an abortion.
  • There is no mandatory waiting period in your state before a teen can get an abortion.
  • Your state provides Medicaid coverage for medically necessary abortions. . If you need help paying for an abortion, call the National Abortion Federation Hotline at 1-800-772-9100, Monday–Friday, 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Saturday–Sunday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (Eastern Daylight Time). The hotline can tell you where and how to get financial help for an abortion in the U.S.
  • To learn about the process of adoption and the services available, visit the National Council for Adoption and the Independent Adoption Center. You can also call the National Adoption Information Clearinghouse at 1-888-251-0075 for more information.

Connecticut - Sex Etc.

Right to Refuse Medical Treatment
The Supreme Court has held that adults have the right to personal autonomy in matters relating to their own medical care. Adults, as long as they are competent to understand their decision, have the right to refuse medical treatment, even life-saving medical treatment, though a state may require clear and convincing evidence that a person wanted treatment ended before it allows termination. A state may restrict family members from terminating treatment for another, because this right belongs to each individual. The court has not extended this right to allow physician-assisted suicide.

Constitutional Law Privacy Rights and Personal Autonomy Justia

So in one instance she has a right ot terminate a pregnancy and have a medical procedure. But in the other instance when she personally does not want chemo , the hospital calls social services and has her remvoed from her home away from her mother and forces her to get chemo anyway.

What I am trying to understand here is why its not Her Body Her Choice in this instance.

I disagree.

That's fine with me.

Sorry but it is for me and you have not answered me why it is HER body HER choice in abortion but not in choosing her own medical care.

They are medical procedures why is she allowed to choose for herself under the right to choose because its her body but it's not ok in the next instance?

Abortion Rights
  • A teen in Connecticut does not have to get her parents’ permission to get an abortion.
  • There is no mandatory waiting period in your state before a teen can get an abortion.
  • Your state provides Medicaid coverage for medically necessary abortions. . If you need help paying for an abortion, call the National Abortion Federation Hotline at 1-800-772-9100, Monday–Friday, 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Saturday–Sunday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (Eastern Daylight Time). The hotline can tell you where and how to get financial help for an abortion in the U.S.
  • To learn about the process of adoption and the services available, visit the National Council for Adoption and the Independent Adoption Center. You can also call the National Adoption Information Clearinghouse at 1-888-251-0075 for more information.

Connecticut - Sex Etc.

The Supreme Court has held that adults have the right to personal autonomy in matters relating to their own medical care. Adults, as long as they are competent to understand their decision, have the right to refuse medical treatment, even life-saving medical treatment, though a state may require clear and convincing evidence that a person wanted treatment ended before it allows termination. A state may restrict family members from terminating treatment for another, because this right belongs to each individual. The court has not extended this right to allow physician-assisted suicide.

So in one instance she has a right ot terminate a pregnancy and have a medical procedure. But in the other instance when she personally does not want chemo , the hospital calls social services and has her remvoed from her home away from her mother and forces her to get chemo anyway.

What I am trying to understand here is why is not Her Body Her Choice in this instance.

Because she is a minor and mom didn't follow through. Her chance for survival is 80-85 percent with Chemo. Not with alternative medicine.

Not requiring parental consent helps make sure that a minor doesn't attempt a self induced abortion. You did see that 40% of unsafe abortions occur starting at age 15. Yes?

I disagree.

That's fine with me.

Abortion Rights

Connecticut - Sex Etc.

What I am trying to understand here is why is not Her Body Her Choice in this instance.

Because she is a minor and mom didn't follow through. Her chance for survival is 80-85 percent with Chemo. Not with alternative medicine.

Not requiring parental consent helps make sure that a minor doesn't attempt a self induced abortion. You did see that 40% of unsafe abortions occur starting at age 15. Yes?

The chance of survival again is irrelevant of what I am asking, she doesn't want the treatment.

Ok so the reasoning of allowing her to chose a medical procedure is so she doesn't harm herself not because it's her body her choice, correct?

I disagree.

That's fine with me.

Abortion Rights

Connecticut - Sex Etc.

Doesn't attempt a self induced abortion?

Odd stance for the pro abortion crowd

It made no sense to me the idea of Her Body Her choice but then not allow her choices in other instances.

Now that Disir has explained it's not really about her body her choice, I get it.

It's about controlling peoples choices so they don't harm themselves.

Disir keeps bringing up the point that there is an 85% success rate in the chemo treatment.

This is brought up because if there was no success rate then the question would be her right to die or perhaps even assisted suicide.

Still, I am disappointed in that whole Jargon: Her Body Her Choice because as it turns out , it's not really true.

Instead is just about doing what others in power and authority decide you must do with your own body.

Pretty deceptive.

"Cassandra C" reportedly believes chemotherapy will do her harm rather than save her life.

A 17-year-old cancer patient does not have the right to refuse treatment for her disease, the state of Connecticut’s highest court has ruled.

Cassandra was removed from Fortin’s care after the mother and daughter missed follow-up appointments and placed into the custody of child welfare officials, who forced her to undergo the cancer treatment. The teenager ran away from hospital after just two days of chemotherapy.

The court made its expedited decision Thursday following a 45-minute hearing, during which lawyers for Cassandra and her mother argued that even though Cassandra is a minor, she can make her own health decisions. Cassandra is months away from turning 18.

Connecticut Rules Cancer-Stricken Teen Must Undergo Chemotherapy

In one instance she is allowed to do what she wants with her body ( as in abortion) but in another instance she is not allowed to seek a medical alternative if she wants to.

This is very similar to an instance that happened a few years ago, except it was a boy. It is a cancer called Hodgkin's lymphoma which has a VERY successful cure rate with the chemotherapy. Why she would refuse the chemo, I do not know, especially considering the odds of it being CURATIVE. She seems like a very silly little girl, IMO.

Forum List

Back