Creationism is fine ‘as long as you don’t confuse it with actual science’

Dear Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson,

Essentially all you said was:

"Reality is fine, as long as you don't confuse it with my worldview."

What part of reality is the real movie 2012 like flood occurring a few thousand years ago and earth being only 6k years old???? Seems nuts.

That's because it is nuts.

However, those who believe the Earth is only 6,000 are a tiny minority of the religious community.

I don't think they are the minority you believe they are...

mtmhrggv0u278tchtddptw.gif

"Your worldview is fine, as long as you don't confuse it with reality."

FTFY

Good afternoon, boys and girls and welcome to Name That Logical Fallacy. Let's begin:

Science once said the Earth was flat! They were wrong! Therefore, this proves our government leaders are alien lizards and they created the Earth 6,000 years ago. QED.

OOH OOH OOH

Is it argumentum ad ignorantiam?

Mmmm, not quite. An example of Argumentum ad Ignorantiam would be, "I have put a bag of potato chips on Pluto. You can't prove I didn't, so that means I did."

Y'know I actually didn't know irrelevant conclusions had a formal name.

It would be ignoratio elenchi, then.

What part of reality is the real movie 2012 like flood occurring a few thousand years ago and earth being only 6k years old???? Seems nuts.

And? I believe in creationism. Did I say the Earth was 6,000 years old? And what was the rest of that?

GEEZ! YOU snobby, intellectually challenged people while POKING FUN at people who believe i.e. have faith... because they are not using science, practical provable systems..
YOU IDIOTS ALSO believe there are 46 million truly uninsured!

Good afternoon, boys and girls and welcome to Name That Logical Fallacy. Let's begin:

Science once said the Earth was flat! They were wrong! Therefore, this proves our government leaders are alien lizards and they created the Earth 6,000 years ago. QED.

Govt leaders are alien lizards. That's believable.

However, those who believe the Earth is only 6,000 are a tiny minority of the religious community.

Non sequitur. That poll is not asking about a 6,000 year old Earth. You will find that only about 20 percent of Americans believe in a Young Earth.

Last edited:
"My worldview is fine, as long as you don't confuse it with reality."

FTFY

Fixed what exactly? Care to elaborate?

I actually just realized that switching those words did nothing.

Silly me, nevermind.

It doesn't, your lack of a rebuttal speaks well to your argumentum ad ignorantiam. You resort to argumentum ad populum and argumentum ad hominem to beat your opponents into the ground without even seriously rebutting them, instead of argumentum ad rem.

Last edited:
More proof the evangelical nuts are trying to force religion into the government. Science is a religion too. String theory, dark matter, alternate universes are all faith based, they're not proven.

Fixed what exactly? Care to elaborate?

Silly me, nevermind.

It doesn't, your lack of a rebuttal speaks well to your argumentum ad ignorantiam. You resort to argumentum ad populum to beat your opponents into the ground without even seriously rebutting them.

>implying I did anything of the sort here

okay

I didn't even end up making a claim here so...where did I use arguments of any kind, fallacious or otherwise?

Silly me, nevermind.

It doesn't, your lack of a rebuttal speaks well to your argumentum ad ignorantiam. You resort to argumentum ad populum and argumentum ad hominem to beat your opponents into the ground without even seriously rebutting them, instead of argumentum ad rem.

>implying I did anything of the sort here

okay

I didn't even end up making a claim here so...where did I use arguments of any kind, fallacious or otherwise?

Geez, why bother explaining it to you? Your general agreement with g5000 was your argument, which was based on the fallacies mentioned earlier. When you switched my words around you revealed what your claim was about. I could also make the assertion that your gallivanting around the truth is an argumentum ad modicum.

Nuance, Destroyer. If you look hard enough you can find an argument in just about anything someone says, either for or against.

Last edited:
More proof the evangelical nuts are trying to force religion into the government. Science is a religion too. String theory, dark matter, alternate universes are all faith based, they're not proven.

Only someone with zero understanding of science could possibly say such a thing.

Non sequitur. That poll is not asking about a 6,000 year old Earth. You will find that only about 20 percent of Americans believe in a Young Earth.

No, it asked 10k or less...

No, it asked 10k or less...

Ah. So it did. Mea culpa.

Well, it is a good thing the truth and reality are not dependent on popular vote. Otherwise, the moon might be made of cheese! :)

Like most obnoxious atheists, you love to denigrate fundamentalists because it makes you feel superior.

Few Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old. Fewer still do not understand the significance of the story of Noah.

Obnoxious atheists actually have a great deal in common with the fundamentalists they so dearly love to trash in forums. Both groups have no aptitude for literary interpretation, accept most things at face value and shrilly insist that theirs is the only acceptable view of the universe.

I like the fundamentalists a little better. At least they're honestly trying to understand the universe around them.

Creationism has no supporting evidence and just makes republicans look dumb.

fuck.you, progressive scum

He's right though. Creationism is just someone's mythology and demanding it be put in classrooms is not science and never will be. Slavishly putting it forward makes Republicans look stupid to people who know better, and I'm a Republican.

Barry Goldwater was right. Getting in bed with the Religious Right was horrible for the GOP.

It’s been miserable for the rest of the country as well.

Like most obnoxious atheists, you love to denigrate fundamentalists because it makes you feel superior.

Few Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old. Fewer still do not understand the significance of the story of Noah.

Obnoxious atheists actually have a great deal in common with the fundamentalists they so dearly love to trash in forums. Both groups have no aptitude for literary interpretation, accept most things at face value and shrilly insist that theirs is the only acceptable view of the universe.

I like the fundamentalists a little better. At least they're honestly trying to understand the universe around them.

There’s nothing ‘obnoxious’ about pointing out someone is factually wrong, nor does it have anything to do with ‘feeling superior.’

And the only time that happens is when Christians attempt to introduce ‘creationism’ into public schools, in violation of the First Amendment.

Otherwise, Christians are at liberty to believe whatever they want, unbothered and left alone, provided they acknowledge and obey Establishment Clause jurisprudence.

Wednesday on his radio show “Star Talk,” astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson addressed a reader’s query about the Creation Museum and the theory of a “Young Earth,” which is part of the Christian Creationist myth, the idea that the Earth is only a few thousand years old.

“I visited the Creation Museum,” wrote the listener, “purely out of a sense of mystified curiosity. The recorded narration in their planetarium said that contemporary astrophysics predicted [sic] that certain stars were older than the known age of the universe and cited this problem as evidence against science and for Young Earth creationism.”

“I was hoping Neil might tell me a little bit more about the problem and its solution,” the note concluded.

“Which problem?” asked Tyson. “That the Creation Museum exists at all?”

He went on to say that while he has nothing against Creationism museums, per se, “just keep it out of the science classroom.”

“We live in a free country,” he continued, “and you can say whatever you want about whatever. That’s what it means to be free. Just don’t confuse it with actual science.”

Tyson explained that there was a time in the 1990s when astronomers had found evidence of stars that were older than the universe’s estimated 15 billion years. The stars appeared to be in the neighborhood of 18 billion years old.

“And you can’t be older than your mother,” he said.

The Hubble telescope has settled these arguments, said Tyson, insofar as 3 billion years constitutes an actual error in cosmology. That number, he said, is well within the margin of error when estimating objects’ ages in the billions of years.

However, now that we’ve had a better look at the furthest reaches of what we know, scientists concluded that the universe is around 18 billion years old.

The Great Neil Tyson has spoken. Creationism is not science save that shit for the camp fires and snake handling folks

GEEZ! YOU snobby, intellectually challenged people while POKING FUN at people who believe i.e. have faith... because they are not using science, practical provable systems..
YOU IDIOTS ALSO believe there are 46 million truly uninsured! AND THIS total ignorance by idiots like you poking fun at creationism are so duplicitous!

YOU believe there are 46 million don't YOU?
Even though 18 million under 34 make over $50k DON"T WANT AND NEED to buy insurance!
PROOF! 'I don't need health care': Millennials threaten success of reform | Al Jazeera America

That leaves 28 million!

Then YOU idiots still stupidly believing there are 46 million even though now the above proves there are 28 million YOU obviously don't comprehend the simple fact that
14 million people answered Census "i don't have insurance.." obviously the Census didn't match and tell these 14 million hey you are at poverty level YOU are covered by Medicaid!
That leaves 14 million supposedly uninsured!
The Actuarial Research Corporation (ARC), estimates that almost 14 million of the uninsured estimated by the CPS in 2004 were reachable through public programs – 9 million through Medicaid and 5 million through SCHIP and other programs.
http://coverageforall.org/pdf/BC-BS_Uninsured-America.pdf

Did you know the CENSUS AGREES!! 10 million people called "uninsured" are NOT CITIZENS!!!
Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2009 - Income & Wealth - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau

THAT leaves 4 million that want and need NOT 46 million that passed ACA!

YET YOU and idiots like you snarky comments about snake handling... YOU are worse!
At least snake handlers can add and subtract... idiots like you and Obama can't do that!

^:blowup:

Forum List

Back