‘Crying in remorse as I chomped’: Woke eaters are giving up octopus

Don't tell me. They are blaming white people but not holding any yellow Asians, redskins or dark charcoal brown that resembles thick molasses skin people for eating calamari?

I wouldn't want to ban eating them, but I don't myself.
Octopus have been shown to be intelligent and more importantly - sentient.
I am not a fan of eating animals who are that smart and self aware.
But I don't condemn anyone else in the least,

Are you really saying a Mollusk can be sentient?

Are you thinking they are baby Mind Flayers or something? If that's the case we better get eating before the damn things mature, or even worse, the parents come back for them.

Actually more preposterous, I'd believe the dolphin thing first, and since we don't see any dolphin cities around I doubt that claim as well.

This response demonstrates your abject ignorance on the matter. Your thinking is entirely ego centric. Instead of looking for intelligence, you're simply looking for similarity to human society.

The degree of technology is not a useful metric to determine a species' intelligence because it assumes current circumstances are maximal. Based on your reasoning, we'd have to believe that humans had not been intelligent 100,000 years ago, which is clearly false.

Also, of note is that the human act of building cities and settlements is at least equally dependent on both congruence with our social behaviors and on the feasibility of agriculture to yield improved nutrition. Octopes, for example, are not social creatures, and would not be inclined to form cities under any circumstances. The likelihood of any social marine species being able to develop a form of agriculture is small, some form of livestock agriculture is likely impossible, and whether it would even yield any nutritional improvement over roam hunting for dolphins is speculative at best.

Vegetarian is a choose based on food preferences.

Vegan and whatever this is … is based on some weird thinking that “if it’s in any way like us we shouldn’t eat it”

Vegan is weird but hey… live and let live.

I could care less about your food preferences

This response demonstrates your abject ignorance on the matter. Your thinking is entirely ego centric. Instead of looking for intelligence, you're simply looking for similarity to human society.

The degree of technology is not a useful metric to determine a species' intelligence because it assumes current circumstances are maximal. Based on your reasoning, we'd have to believe that humans had not been intelligent 100,000 years ago, which is clearly false.

Also, of note is that the human act of building cities and settlements is at least equally dependent on both congruence with our social behaviors and on the feasibility of agriculture to yield improved nutrition. Octopes, for example, are not social creatures, and would not be inclined to form cities under any circumstances. The likelihood of any social marine species being able to develop a form of agriculture is small, some form of livestock agriculture is likely impossible, and whether it would even yield any nutritional improvement over roam hunting for dolphins is speculative at best.

It shows I am not someone who finds sentience where it is not.

Technology is a sure sign of intelligence and awareness of ones self. It shows the ability to change your environment beyond your biological means.

It's why removing our technology from us is the same as taking away a Lion's teeth and claws and wondering why it can't be a lion anymore.

It shows I am not someone who finds sentience where it is not.

Technology is a sure sign of intelligence and awareness of ones self. It shows the ability to change your environment beyond your biological means.

It's why removing our technology from us is the same as taking away a Lion's teeth and claws and wondering why it can't be a lion anymore.

Repeating the same ignorant stupidity does not make it less ignorant or stupid.

Are you really saying a Mollusk can be sentient?

Are you thinking they are baby Mind Flayers or something? If that's the case we better get eating before the damn things mature, or even worse, the parents come back for them.
No... did you just expand my comment on Octopus to 30,000 other species.... yes.

Forum List

Back