'Daily Show' Segment Shows Exactly Why The US Can't Pass New Gun Laws

Excellent point. So, next time your try to compare UK and US crime stats, keep in mind that England does not count a crime unless someone is CONVICTED. Not the case in the US were every REPORTED crime is counted toward the stats.

So thanks for helping to make my point. Much appreicated.

So you admit your whole argument about Australia gun laws not being effective was bogus.

Yea, that's what I said..:cuckoo:

There is no evidence Australia 'over counts' it's crime related stats and those stats show, beyond a shadow of a doubt, crime increased following the gun ban and remains high today. Those stats show that Australia has a HUGE rape problem (5th worst in the world) and WORST crime victimization rate (1st in the world).

Again, sorry if the truth doesn't fit your agenda.

Thanks for admitting that and that gun control has worked in Australia.

Repeating that which makes you look stupid only makes you look more stupid.

But please feel free to try and switch the topic to a new country when your argument has completely failed

Bullshit. We can compare Australia, the UK or any other country for that matter. That fact remains that in Australia, their gun ban not only did not work, it made things worse.

You were saying something about failing...

You're amazing at creating strawmen and then moving the goal posts. The "crime" stats you were so in love with were shown to not be an accurate measure of actual crime.....using a quote from your own source.

No one ever said Australia over reports crime stats. So nice strawman.

You want to pick a specific stat that you feel is important, feel free to show why that stat is important and how it proves gun control doesn't work, but if you're going to move the goal post every time your weak ass argument gets destroyed I'll just chalk you up as another idiot with more mouth than brains.

Required to do what, have an opinion? What do you do about a doctor who is a dedicated anti gunner and thinks anyone who owns one is dangerous, should they have the ability to make a call to NICS and add a name to the data base and use the excuse, the law requires it, with no fear of repercussions? How far down that road are you willing to travel?

I'll admit there should be some oversight or procedures in place to minimize possible abuses. But an honest discussion about this is needed and I believe solutions can be found that'll help keep the mentally disturbed from purchasing guns.

If a doctor has the power to involuntary commit a dangerous patient then he should have the power to submit his name to NCIC (National Crime Information Center). IMO

One small problem, an involuntary commitment is usually for 72 hours a name entered in NICS is permanent unless you go to court and get a judge to reverse it. The power to enter a name on NICS should be reserved to the justice system.

Well if there is no willingness to discuss ways that could make something like this work then we may as well do nothing.

I come up with a solution as it pertains to the mentally unstable that could work and yes some tweaking would be required but it's a place to start.

You have offered no solutions. So I assume you either don't think that it's important or you simply don't give a fuck.

So you admit your whole argument about Australia gun laws not being effective was bogus.

There is no evidence Australia 'over counts' it's crime related stats and those stats show, beyond a shadow of a doubt, crime increased following the gun ban and remains high today. Those stats show that Australia has a HUGE rape problem (5th worst in the world) and WORST crime victimization rate (1st in the world).

But please feel free to try and switch the topic to a new country when your argument has completely failed

Bullshit. We can compare Australia, the UK or any other country for that matter. That fact remains that in Australia, their gun ban not only did not work, it made things worse.

You're amazing at creating strawmen and then moving the goal posts. The "crime" stats you were so in love with were shown to not be an accurate measure of actual crime.....using a quote from your own source.

Bullshit. No government stats are perfect but if anything, the way America keep stats (reporting ALL crime, convictions or not), only lends credibility to my argument. All actual measures of crime show what happened in Australia after the ban...crime got worse.

No one ever said Australia over reports crime stats. So nice strawman.

You implied it. But now that you admit they don't over report, will you admit the reality of their crime statistics showing numbers worse than in America?

Probably not...:doubt:

You want to pick a specific stat that you feel is important, feel free to show why that stat is important and how it proves gun control doesn't work,

Easy. Australia virtually banned civilian gun ownership. Their crime rates increased following the ban and they now have the highest rate of crime victimization in the world. Their gun control laws not only didn't work, it made things worse.

but if you're going to move the goal post every time your weak ass argument gets destroyed I'll just chalk you up as another idiot with more mouth than brains.

You can say that's what I did, but you'd be wrong. What were you saying about being an idiot? Hmm...

In other words, besides the whole constitutinal argument, they are acting on behalf of the people that elect them?! We have to put a stop to that! :rolleyes:

No they are acting to protect their asses. If you watch the clip the most important thing and the idea of a successful politician is to get re-elected.

But don't clog your mind up with new information, you might hurt yourself.

Is this a new concept? You've been posting on this board how long, and you just found this out?

PS doesnt that mean they're afraid of the voters????? Which is what democracy is, correct?

I'll admit there should be some oversight or procedures in place to minimize possible abuses. But an honest discussion about this is needed and I believe solutions can be found that'll help keep the mentally disturbed from purchasing guns.

If a doctor has the power to involuntary commit a dangerous patient then he should have the power to submit his name to NCIC (National Crime Information Center). IMO

One small problem, an involuntary commitment is usually for 72 hours a name entered in NICS is permanent unless you go to court and get a judge to reverse it. The power to enter a name on NICS should be reserved to the justice system.

Well if there is no willingness to discuss ways that could make something like this work then we may as well do nothing.

I come up with a solution as it pertains to the mentally unstable that could work and yes some tweaking would be required but it's a place to start.

You have offered no solutions. So I assume you either don't think that it's important or you simply don't give a fuck.

We already have the solution, if a doctor or other competent person reports an individual to authorities, they have the ability to go to a judge and temporarily remove their weapons and order the individual to be evaluated as an inpatient or outpatient, then it's up to the court where to go from there. Is it perfect, no, but keeping in mind the balance of rights of the individual and the needs of society it's about as good as it can be.

We already have the solution, if a doctor or other competent person reports an individual to authorities, they have the ability to go to a judge and temporarily remove their weapons and order the individual to be evaluated as an inpatient or outpatient, then it's up to the court where to go from there. Is it perfect, no, but keeping in mind the balance of rights of the individual and the needs of society it's about as good as it can be.

Very reasonable. Which brings us back to that which does have a proven effect on decreasing violent crime. Namely, lengthening sentences for those who commit violent crime and putting more cops on the streets. It's the only thing proven to work.

Trying to ban firearms from law abiding citizens? Well that only gives an advantage to the criminals who don't follow the law (kinda why we call them criminals...:eek:).

Last edited:

Bullshit. No government stats are perfect but if anything, the way America keep stats (reporting ALL crime, convictions or not), only lends credibility to my argument. All actual measures of crime show what happened in Australia after the ban...crime got worse.

You implied it. But now that you admit they don't over report, will you admit the reality of their crime statistics showing numbers worse than in America?

You want to pick a specific stat that you feel is important, feel free to show why that stat is important and how it proves gun control doesn't work,

Easy. Australia virtually banned civilian gun ownership. Their crime rates increased following the ban and they now have the highest rate of crime victimization in the world. Their gun control laws not only didn't work, it made things worse.

but if you're going to move the goal post every time your weak ass argument gets destroyed I'll just chalk you up as another idiot with more mouth than brains.

You can say that's what I did, but you'd be wrong. What were you saying about being an idiot? Hmm...

This is saying a lot but you have to be one of the dumbest people on this site. Hands down you have no clue what you're even saying anymore. You've proven you can't read and you don't even understand the links you post that actually disprove the things you are saying.

Australia gun control has worked in curbing gun violence and no amount of twisting and changing the conversion on your part will change that. Jesus I pity how dumb you are.

This is saying a lot but you have to be one of the dumbest people on this site. Hands down you have no clue what you're even saying anymore. You've proven you can't read and you don't even understand the links you post that actually disprove the things you are saying.

Australia gun control has worked in curbing gun violence and no amount of twisting and changing the conversion on your part will change that. Jesus I pity how dumb you are.

If having a gun makes you safe, we should have the safest society ever...instead we're among the most dangerous societies in terms of gun violence and lead all other advanced societies in the statistic.

Gun=safety is a myth.

[

Yo Vernon, it doesn't fucking matter if it has worked. My right to bear arms in UNALIENABLE.

My suggestion for you is to relocate . If you call them ahead of time they 'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you.

[

Yo Vernon, it doesn't fucking matter if it has worked. My right to bear arms in UNALIENABLE.

My suggestion for you is to relocate . If you call them ahead of time they 'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you.

You really shouldn't use words that you clearly don't understand.

Australia gun control has worked in curbing gun violence

Why don't you back that up with something? Anything?

While you look for something to support your position, I'll wonder how you're going to overcome the fact that after their gun ban, crime skyrocketed. I wonder how you'll overcome the fact that even today, Australia has the highest rate of victimization in the world...and among the worst rates for rape.

Good luck with that.

The floor is yours.

If having a gun makes you safe, we should have the safest society ever

Having a gun makes you safer when facing a bad guy with a gun. Big difference.

On the other hand, if NOT having a gun makes you safe, what the fuck is up with Mexico? They ban civilian gun ownership, but...not so safe.

...instead we're among the most dangerous societies in terms of gun violence and lead all other advanced societies in the statistic.

Is it "gun" violence you're worried about or all kinds of violence? It's true that in America and many other western countries that when someone wants to commit murder, they tend to use a firearm. Doesn't make the victims any more dead than the millions killed by other means.

Do you care if someone is killed with a knife or by another's hands...or is it only if a gun is used that violence counts?

If you're honest and admit that violence of any type is the problem, then you'll be glad to know that America does NOT make the top 100 list of countries listed by homicide rates. Among those countries with higher homicide rates are plenty of countries with bans on civilian firearm ownership.

Now how could that be possible?

Gun=safety is a myth.

No gun=safety is a bigger myth. Again, if banning guns solves violence, how come so many countries that have banned guns have higher murder rates and higher violent crime rates?

Something to chew on anyway...

While you look for something to support your position, I'll wonder how you're going to overcome the fact that after their gun ban, crime skyrocketed. I wonder how you'll overcome the fact that even today, Australia has the highest rate of victimization in the world...and among the worst rates for rape.

Good luck with that.

The floor is yours.

How come you haven't posted anything showing that crime skyrocketed in Australia after they put in gun laws?

Good luck with that.

The floor is yours.

How come you haven't posted anything showing that crime skyrocketed in Australia after they put in gun laws?

For the THIRD time now, "Report #46: Homicide in Australia", 2001-2002, Australian Institute of Criminology, April 2003.

Another source is "Crime and Justice - Crimes Recorded by Police", Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2000, where it was documented that "Crime has been rising since enacting a sweeping ban on private gun ownership. In the first two years after Australian gun-owners were forced to surrender 640,381 personal firearms, government statistics showed a dramatic increase in criminal activity."

Bummer for the Australian people...and your argument.

Returning to "Report #46: Homicide in Australia", we find that in 2001-2002, homicides were up another 20%.

Ouch!

Further, the report indicates, from the inception of firearm confiscation to March of 2000, firearm-related murders were up 19%, armed robberies were up 69%, and home invasions were up 21%. And this during a period when crime rates were dropping around the world.

So much for the idea that taking guns from law abiding citizens does anything to protect them.

Now how come you haven't backed up your statement that Australian gun control has worked in curbing violent crime?

Or are you going with the 'because I say so' argument?

The floor is still yours...

Last edited:

Good luck with that.

The floor is yours.

For the THIRD time now, "Report #46: Homicide in Australia", 2001-2002, Australian Institute of Criminology, April 2003.

Another source is "Crime and Justice - Crimes Recorded by Police", Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2000, where it was documented that "Crime has been rising since enacting a sweeping ban on private gun ownership. In the first two years after Australian gun-owners were forced to surrender 640,381 personal firearms, government statistics showed a dramatic increase in criminal activity."

Returning to "Report #46: Homicide in Australia", we find that in 2001-2002, homicides were up another 20%.

Ouch!

Further, the report indicates, from the inception of firearm confiscation to March of 2000, firearm-related murders were up 19%, armed robberies were up 69%, and home invasions were up 21%. And this during a period when crime rates were dropping around the world.

So much for the idea that taking guns from law abiding citizens does anything to protect them.

Now how come you haven't backed up your statement that Australian gun control has worked in curbing violent crime?

Do you always make it a habit of quoting your stats without providing a link to the actual source? Debating you is actually funny because of how transparent your entire flawed argument is.

Ouch!

Do you always make it a habit of quoting your stats without providing a link to the actual source? Debating you is actually funny because of how transparent your entire flawed argument is.

What's with your obsession about links? I cited the damn sources. Any internet site I link to will simply reference the same studies I have cited! Must you always rely on others to speak for you? Have you never been in a library? Do you think everything every written is posted on the internet? Try looking at actual government stats instead of left wing blogs. Get thee a library card! Do your own damn research.

And while you're criticizing me, how about you back up your statement that Australian gun control has worked in curbing violent crime? Cite your sources or link them, I don't care, but as of yet, you have provided NOTHING to back up your claim.

Telling.

Ouch!

What's with your obsession about links? I cited the damn sources. Any internet site I link to will simply reference the same studies I have cited! Must you always rely on others to speak for you? Have you never been in a library? Do you think everything every written is posted on the internet? Try looking at actual government stats instead of left wing blogs. Get thee a library card! Do your own damn research.

And while you're criticizing me, how about you back up your statement that Australian gun control has worked in curbing violent crime? Cite your sources or link them, I don't care, but as of yet, you have provided NOTHING to back up your claim.

Telling.

You'll do ANYTHING to not share your sources, wont you?

LOL, "how dare you ask me to provide a reference for the information I am basing my argument around!!!"

I can do the same thing, ready....

The International Crime Statistics Association has determined that Australia has the lowest crime rate of any 1st world country and that number has dropped significantly since they put tighter restrictions on gun ownership. Australia is proven to be 92.7% safer than the United States and has 97.7% less crime than the United States.

I don't need to provide a source for the above according to you. This is good enough.

Telling.

LOL, "how dare you ask me to provide a reference for the information I am basing my argument around!!!"

The International Crime Statistics Association has determined that Australia has the lowest crime rate of any 1st world country and that number has dropped significantly since they put tighter restrictions on gun ownership. Australia is proven to be 92.7% safer than the United States and has 97.7% less crime than the United States.

I don't need to provide a source for the above according to you. This is good enough.

You do need to cite the quote fully, as I did, with the actual title of the study and its date. You're pulling this out of your ass and you know it.

Good lord you're obtuse. And apparently unable to do a simple search. It's not hard, you know. Lots of sources that cite the very same studies I cited. One is Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths, where you could really learn a thing or two about the actual facts surrounding gun control.

More unpleasant truths from the Australian government:

The trend in the rate of recorded assault has shown a steady increase from 1996 to 2005. The rate in 2005 was 819 per 100,000 compared with 623 per 100,000 in 1996. The 2005 rate was the highest recorded since 1996.

fig003.png

http://aic.gov.au/publications/current%20series/facts/1-20/2006/crime%20and%20justice%20statistics.html

Now, will you be honest and actually back up your claim or not?

That floor is still yours. Now come on, stop attacking me and back you own damn claim up with something, anything.

Last edited:

Telling.

You do need to cite the quote fully, as I did, with the actual title of the study and its date. You're pulling this out of your ass and you know it.

Good lord you're obtuse. And apparently unable to do a simple search. It's not hard, you know. Lots of sources that cite the very same studies I cited. One is Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths, where you could really learn a thing or two about the actual facts surrounding gun control.

Now, will you be honest and actually back up your claim or not?

That floor is still yours. Now come on, stop attacking me and back you own damn claim up with something, anything.

Bwhahaahahahahahaahaha! I knew you didn't have any legit sources for your bullshit claims. Why else would you do anything you could to avoid having to share your source? Hahahahaha.

You selfish gun freaks are all the same. Hahahahah. Just too easy to win arguments against you when you're too dumb/ashamed to provide sources for your "facts". Fuck, you idiots are funny.

Forum List

Back