'Daily Show' Segment Shows Exactly Why The US Can't Pass New Gun Laws

You'll do ANYTHING to not share your sources, wont you?

LOL, "how dare you ask me to provide a reference for the information I am basing my argument around!!!"

I can do the same thing, ready....

The International Crime Statistics Association has determined that Australia has the lowest crime rate of any 1st world country and that number has dropped significantly since they put tighter restrictions on gun ownership. Australia is proven to be 92.7% safer than the United States and has 97.7% less crime than the United States.

I don't need to provide a source for the above according to you. This is good enough.

You do need to cite the quote fully, as I did, with the actual title of the study and its date. You're pulling this out of your ass and you know it.

Good lord you're obtuse. And apparently unable to do a simple search. It's not hard, you know. Lots of sources that cite the very same studies I cited. One is Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths, where you could really learn a thing or two about the actual facts surrounding gun control.

Now, will you be honest and actually back up your claim or not?

That floor is still yours. Now come on, stop attacking me and back you own damn claim up with something, anything.

Bwhahaahahahahahaahaha! I knew you didn't have any legit sources for your bullshit claims. Why else would you do anything you could to avoid having to share your source? Hahahahaha.

You selfish gun freaks are all the same. Hahahahah. Just too easy to win arguments against you when you're too dumb/ashamed to provide sources for your "facts". Fuck, you idiots are funny.

Still waiting for you to provide any evidence whatsoever that Australian gun control has worked in curbing violent crime. Come on now, you're criticizing me for not providing enough links and for citing sources, but you've provided NOTHING to back up your claim.

You're free to discount the source I cited, which are basically Australian government statistics and NationMaster.com. But you've provided no specific refute of those sources, only childish name calling.

Either, way, we're looking for you to back up YOUR claim, so, back it up.

We get you're capable of ad hominem attacks. How about a little honest debate? Back up your claim, please.

Last edited:
Australia and Britain do not have 2nd amendment rights like we do.
We already have over 20,000 gun laws.
We don't enforce the laws that we already have, so what good is more laws that won't be enforce either?

Crime has gone up in Britain and Australia since their gun bans.
Britain
UK police admit gun ban is a failure. - CNN iReport
quote from a British Police officer;
A police officer states, "back in the 80's when guns were allowed, all I was issued a billy club and a pair of handcuff's. Since the ban, all criminals have guns and are not afraid to use them. I won't leave the station without a sidearm and body armour!"

Australia
AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

Australia and Britain do not have 2nd amendment rights like we do.
We already have over 20,000 gun laws.
We don't enforce the laws that we already have, so what good is more laws that won't be enforce either?

Crime has gone up in Britain and Australia since their gun bans.
Britain
UK police admit gun ban is a failure. - CNN iReport
quote from a British Police officer;
A police officer states, "back in the 80's when guns were allowed, all I was issued a billy club and a pair of handcuff's. Since the ban, all criminals have guns and are not afraid to use them. I won't leave the station without a sidearm and body armour!"

Australia
AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

Don't bother. RDD is about to show us just how Australia's gun ban curbed violent crime...and being a stickler for links and proper source citation, you can bet his argument will be backed with logic, reason and facts.

Go ahead RDD, thrill us with your acumen...

If having a gun makes you safe, we should have the safest society ever...instead we're among the most dangerous societies in terms of gun violence and lead all other advanced societies in the statistic.

Gun=safety is a myth

If having a gun makes you safe, we should have the safest society ever...instead we're among the most dangerous societies in terms of gun violence and lead all other advanced societies in the statistic.

Gun=safety is a myth

Short term memory problem?

Your claims were already debunked in post #134

You guys really do just throw shit out there hoping no one will look into anything specific or question your false assumptions. How about you back up your claims with something factual, using logic and reason?

We are not even close to the most dangerous society. We don't make the top 100 list of countries ranked by murder rate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

The UK has a higher violent crime rate than the US.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

These pesky little facts may mean nothing to you, but those of us that don't make all our decisions based on emotion, facts count.

Last edited:
Daily Show On Gun Control Laws - Business Insider

"Last week, we learned that while our Senate was unable to pass even the most basic gun control measures, Australia has had a successful gun control scheme for almost two decades," "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart said, introducing the segment.

Oliver talked to Australian politicians who said they were outed from office because they supported new gun measures after a 1996 mass shooting that killed 35 people. Supporters of Australia's laws cite the fact that Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not experienced any mass shootings since.

Oliver shamed the four Democrats that voted against background checks last week — Sens. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Begich of Alaska, and Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota.

He mocked them for having the "courage" to "reduce the rate of political suicide" in Congress.

Read more: Daily Show On Gun Control Laws - Business Insider
Basically the reason we cant get real gun control here is because pols don't want to lose their jobs.

[ame=http://youtu.be/TYbY45rHj8w]The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Let me get this straight.

There are people that are willing to vote to kick people out of office because they support gun control, and these people outnumber the people that support gun control, but the politicians are supposed to ignore the will of the people and vote for gun control anyway, just because guns scare you.

Does that sum up your position?

Here's the problem I'm having with the Australia violent crime goes up argument. Gun violence goes down, because no one has a gun. Logical...

Violent crime goes up because no one has a gun...maybe
Violent crime is supposed to go down because no one has a gun...not really.

Would rapes go down if guns were back? That would be hard to say but some are putting it forth like its causal and I don't believe

"Last week, we learned that while our Senate was unable to pass even the most basic gun control measures, Australia has had a successful gun control scheme for almost two decades," "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart said, introducing the segment.

Oliver talked to Australian politicians who said they were outed from office because they supported new gun measures after a 1996 mass shooting that killed 35 people. Supporters of Australia's laws cite the fact that Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not experienced any mass shootings since.

Oliver shamed the four Democrats that voted against background checks last week — Sens. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Begich of Alaska, and Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota.

He mocked them for having the "courage" to "reduce the rate of political suicide" in Congress.

Basically the reason we cant get real gun control here is because pols don't want to lose their jobs.

[ame=http://youtu.be/TYbY45rHj8w]The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

There are people that are willing to vote to kick people out of office because they support gun control, and these people outnumber the people that support gun control, but the politicians are supposed to ignore the will of the people and vote for gun control anyway, just because guns scare you.

Sure, if that's what you get from it, go with that

Here's the problem I'm having with the Australia violent crime goes up argument. Gun violence goes down, because no one has a gun. Logical...

Do you care about violence or just "gun" violence? Who cares what tool someone uses to kill others? Dead is dead. Violent crime does not require a firearm.

Violent crime goes up because no one has a gun...maybe

In actuality, that's exactly what happened.

Violent crime is supposed to go down because no one has a gun...not really

Correct. It goes up. It went up in Australia after their ban, it went up in the UK after their ban.

Would rapes go down if guns were back? That would be hard to say but some are putting it forth like its causal and I don't believe

Well, after Australia banned firearm, the rate of rape increased and they are now #5 in the world, well ahead of the US. Australia is also #1 in the world when it comes to the rate of victimization.

But to your specific point: whether you believe the rate of rape would decrease if woman were allowed to have a firearm or not, you cannot overcome the notion that taking firearms away from women removes the equalizing effect a firearm has. You cannot expect a 120lb woman to fistfight a 250lb rapist. A firearm is her most effective means of protecting herself.

Now why would you want to deny even ONE woman that right? Especially when we see that overall rates of violence increase following gun bans?

I think violent crime would go up after banning guns is logical because you cant just shoot someone anymore and since ppl are violent by nature...the violence will continue

I think violent crime would go up after banning guns is logical because you cant just shoot someone anymore and since ppl are violent by nature...the violence will continue

Correct. So let's not put good people at a disadvantage when facing armed criminals that follow no rules and obey no laws. Bans on firearms or their accessories, waiting period, gun free zones...these 'feel good' rules only serve to give the bad guys an edge. We should stop doing that.

The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 2 - YouTube

Sure, if that's what you get from it, go with that

What else am I supposed to get from a comedy sketch that doesn't involve real people?

897Gun_homicide_rates.jpg

Gun homicide rates by country

When you're ready to talk about homicide rates, and not just those in which a firearm was used, you let us know. Until then, you'd have to explain why killing someone with a gun is somehow worse than killing them by another means.

Correct. So let's not put good people at a disadvantage when facing armed criminals that follow no rules and obey no laws. Bans on firearms or their accessories, waiting period, gun free zones...these 'feel good' rules only serve to give the bad guys an edge. We should stop doing that.

The only ppl at a disadvantage would be ppl who conceal carry. The average person isn't strapped ready for action.

Its tough man...

The USA has as many gun laws as Australia.
The difference is not my opinion but the facts..
The DoJ/ATF is not enforcing existing laws.
Despite his calls for greater gun control, including a new assault weapons ban that extends to handguns, President Obama's administration has turned away from enforcing gun laws, cutting weapons prosecutions some 40 percent since a high of about 11,000 under former President Bush.
Gun prosecutions under Obama down more than 45 percent | WashingtonExaminer.com

So why aren't the existing laws enforced?
That simple. No further laws needed just enforce the ones we have!
Is that so hard?
Just passing more laws won't change the FACT that
A) Australia has 23,001,330 people or 7% of the USA of course they can control!
B) The USA since 1982 has average 2 shootings where an average of 4 people killed not counting the shooter or 8 people per year.
C) That's 248 people or 0.00008% of the USA population.

"Since 1982 there have been at least 62 mass shootings across the country, with the killings unfolding in 30 states from Massachusetts to Hawaii. Twenty-five of these mass shootings have occurred since 2006, and 7 of them have taken place in 2012.
The shooter took the lives of at least four people. An FBI crime classification report identifies an individual as a mass murderer—versus a spree killer or a serial killer—if he kills four or more people in a single incident (not including himself), typically in a single location.
A Guide to Mass Shootings in America | Mother Jones

WHAT the f...k is all the excitement about??? 1.5 million babies are murdered each year... why aren't you equally anxious and hysterical about that???

The USA has as many gun laws as Australia.
The difference is not my opinion but the facts..

WHAT the f...k is all the excitement about??? 1.5 million babies are murdered each year... why aren't you equally anxious and hysterical about that???

I know your post was just a segway to your abortion rant. But damn at least use some facts.

Forum List

Back