'Daily Show' Segment Shows Exactly Why The US Can't Pass New Gun Laws

Everyone should watch this clip.

Why, so we can see just how misleading it is?

From Post #10:

Supporters of Australia's laws cite the fact that Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not experienced any mass shootings since.

That's a lie. They had a mass shooting in 2002 when a university student shot and killed teachers and students. They also had another mass killing in 2000 when 15 were killed...but since the bad guy didn't use a gun, I guess those people are somehow less dead....

I notice Stewart and his flunky also overlooked the fact that violent crime increased following the firearms confiscation. Oh those pesky facts that don't support your agenda...

They also didn't mention that since the gun ban, Australia has a higher rate of rape than the US. Yep, the rate of rape in Australia is 150 times that of the US. I guess their idea of gun control is giving a 120lb woman the 'right' to fistfight a 250lb rapist. Talk about a war on women!

Then there's this little fact: Australia ranks 1st, that's right NUMBER 1, in total crime victims per capita....43% higher than in America. All those unarmed civilians have resulted in the highest crime rate rates in the world...and you're celebrating? Sick, just sick.

Ok ok ok...we get it, they had 1 since 1996. Geez

Two mass killing actually. But hey, they did move up to occupy the number one position for rate of crime victims...so that's good, right? :eek: Then there's all those rapes, with women unable to effectively defend themselves. Great plan. :cuckoo:

'a successful gun control scheme' - is what Australia has. I guess you're upset that that's what they call it an since Stewart had to call it what Australians call it, that means that Stewart wants it to be the same way here. LOL! For example: If Stewart calls Soccer "football" while talking about England that means Stewart wants Football in the US to actually be Soccer!!!!

Waaahh...Hair on Fire!!!

Point went right over your head again. Woosh!

And you cant explain it. Woosh!

I am not responsible for your lack of comprehension.

'a successful gun control scheme' - is what Australia has.

If by 'successful', you mean that violent crime rates skyrocketed after the ban, resulting in Australia having today the highest rate of crime victims in the world, the 5th highest rate of rape in the world, and an unarmed populace unable to defend themselves against tyranny, then yes, it was successful.

Yea, I'll pass on that definition of 'success'.

link?

Daily Show On Gun Control Laws - Business Insider

"Last week, we learned that while our Senate was unable to pass even the most basic gun control measures, Australia has had a successful gun control scheme for almost two decades," "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart said, introducing the segment.

Oliver talked to Australian politicians who said they were outed from office because they supported new gun measures after a 1996 mass shooting that killed 35 people. Supporters of Australia's laws cite the fact that Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not experienced any mass shootings since.

Oliver shamed the four Democrats that voted against background checks last week — Sens. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Begich of Alaska, and Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota.

He mocked them for having the "courage" to "reduce the rate of political suicide" in Congress.

Read more: Daily Show On Gun Control Laws - Business Insider

Basically the reason we cant get real gun control here is because pols don't want to lose their jobs.

[ame=http://youtu.be/TYbY45rHj8w]The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

True that. It's also the reason we have runaway deficits

Maybe we should stop and think about this when we elect our next President....were they part of Congress or were they from outside the system and can recognize a balanced budget...a sane and orderly track for legislation...how a Department should work...etc...

Not throwing that out to support or trash any one candidate or another but if you promote someone from the Senate to the Oval Office, it's not exactly a great message to send if you're now expecting fiscal sanity now is it?

'a successful gun control scheme' - is what Australia has.

If by 'successful', you mean that violent crime rates skyrocketed after the ban, resulting in Australia having today the highest rate of crime victims in the world, the 5th highest rate of rape in the world, and an unarmed populace unable to defend themselves against tyranny, then yes, it was successful.

link?

These stats are easily accessible from sites ranging from NationMaster to the BATF to frickin' Wiki for heaven's sake. A good start is "Report #46: Homicide in Australia", 2001-2002, Australian Institute of Criminology, April 2003. Do your own research. If you can refute anything I've posted, do it, otherwise, you're only looking desperate when the facts don't support your agenda. And that's just pathetic.

"Last week, we learned that while our Senate was unable to pass even the most basic gun control measures, Australia has had a successful gun control scheme for almost two decades," "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart said, introducing the segment.

Oliver talked to Australian politicians who said they were outed from office because they supported new gun measures after a 1996 mass shooting that killed 35 people. Supporters of Australia's laws cite the fact that Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not experienced any mass shootings since.

Oliver shamed the four Democrats that voted against background checks last week — Sens. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Begich of Alaska, and Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota.

He mocked them for having the "courage" to "reduce the rate of political suicide" in Congress.

Basically the reason we cant get real gun control here is because pols don't want to lose their jobs.

[ame=http://youtu.be/TYbY45rHj8w]The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

The part with Harry Reid's chief of staff is telling, is it not?

link?

These stats are easily accessible from sites ranging from NationMaster to the BATF to frickin' Wiki for heaven's sake. A good start is "Report #46: Homicide in Australia", 2001-2002, Australian Institute of Criminology, April 2003. Do your own research. If you can refute anything I've posted, do it, otherwise, you're only looking desperate when the facts don't support your agenda. And that's just pathetic.

So no link then? Got it...I guess it's easier to type a paragraph than to cut and paste the link...or something

So no link then? Got it...I guess it's easier to type a paragraph than to cut and paste the link...or something

Having trouble figuring out search engines?

NationMaster - World Statistics, Country Comparisons

Golly, that was hard...:doubt:

You have nothing to refute the facts. Sorry if that doesn't fit your agenda.

You glean all this from a comedy skit, from a comedy show that airs on Comedy Central?
This certainly explains a lot.

Come on....he rounds out his informed views by watching Bill Maher.

Why, so we can see just how misleading it is?

From Post #10:

Supporters of Australia's laws cite the fact that Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not experienced any mass shootings since.

That's a lie. They had a mass shooting in 2002 when a university student shot and killed teachers and students. They also had another mass killing in 2000 when 15 were killed...but since the bad guy didn't use a gun, I guess those people are somehow less dead....

I notice Stewart and his flunky also overlooked the fact that violent crime increased following the firearms confiscation. Oh those pesky facts that don't support your agenda...

They also didn't mention that since the gun ban, Australia has a higher rate of rape than the US. Yep, the rate of rape in Australia is 150 times that of the US. I guess their idea of gun control is giving a 120lb woman the 'right' to fistfight a 250lb rapist. Talk about a war on women!

Then there's this little fact: Australia ranks 1st, that's right NUMBER 1, in total crime victims per capita....43% higher than in America. All those unarmed civilians have resulted in the highest crime rate rates in the world...and you're celebrating? Sick, just sick.

Mere technicalities comrade. Move along or there will be no bread for you!

Yes Jon Stewart is the host....and like I said he didn't even do the interview.

I quoted Stewart, had to point it out to you once, you tried to sidestep that so here I am ... pointing it out again. I quoted Stewart and commented on what Stewart said, not the interviewer.

Tell me about the great unicorn migration next, dummy. (I still can't figure out if you herped or derped).

Annnnyway ... 'a successful gun control scheme'. Yeah, sounds about right for what the progressive left would like to see here.

'a successful gun control scheme' - is what Australia has. I guess you're upset that that's what they call it an since Stewart had to call it what Australians call it, that means that Stewart wants it to be the same way here. LOL! For example: If Stewart calls Soccer "football" while talking about England that means Stewart wants Football in the US to actually be Soccer!!!!

Waaahh...Hair on Fire!!!

Gun control now, free speech later. Welcome to the New America, Comrade Asshat!

My agenda is facts...Just went to your link but I didn't see anything about skyrocketing violence since the gun ban and nothing on rapes increasing since the gun ban. That is what you were saying? Right?

Weird how you didn't mention this note about those crime stats... Taken from your link.

"Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence"

My agenda is facts...Just went to your link but I didn't see anything about skyrocketing violence since the gun ban

Which is why I cited "Report #46: Homicide in Australia", 2001-2002, Australian Institute of Criminology, April 2003, where you'll find statistic related to their boom in violent crime which occurred after their ban on firearms...during a period in which crime rates were dropping around the world. Oops...

The NationMaster link will show you that Australia has the 5th highest rate of rape in the world and the highest rate of crime victimization...and yet they have no civilian owned firearms. Now how could that be possible?

Another fun stat (and you check Wiki for this one)...despite all the guns in America, we don't make the top 100 list of countries by murder rate. Geez, if guns were such a problem, shouldn't America, with all our firearms, be atop the murder rate list? Well, we're not, thus proving it's PEOPLE that murder and commit violent crime, not inanimate objects.

Geez, do you really think everything has to be wrapped up with a nice little bow in one link to be viable? Sometimes, one has to actually research a topic before he can speak intelligently about it. Something to consider.

Weird how you didn't mention this note about those crime stats... Taken from your link.

"Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence"

Excellent point. So, next time your try to compare UK and US crime stats, keep in mind that England does not count a crime unless someone is CONVICTED. Not the case in the US were every REPORTED crime is counted toward the stats.

So thanks for helping to make my point. Much appreicated.

Excellent point. So, next time your try to compare UK and US crime stats, keep in mind that England does not count a crime unless someone is CONVICTED. Not the case in the US were every REPORTED crime is counted toward the stats.

So you admit your whole argument about Australia gun laws not being effective was bogus. Thanks for admitting that and that gun control has worked in Australia.

But please feel free to try and switch the topic to a new country when your argument has completely failed.

So you admit your whole argument about Australia gun laws not being effective was bogus.

Yea, that's what I said..:cuckoo:

There is no evidence Australia 'over counts' it's crime related stats and those stats show, beyond a shadow of a doubt, crime increased following the gun ban and remains high today. Those stats show that Australia has a HUGE rape problem (5th worst in the world) and WORST crime victimization rate (1st in the world).

Again, sorry if the truth doesn't fit your agenda.

Thanks for admitting that and that gun control has worked in Australia.

Repeating that which makes you look stupid only makes you look more stupid.

But please feel free to try and switch the topic to a new country when your argument has completely failed

Bullshit. We can compare Australia, the UK or any other country for that matter. That fact remains that in Australia, their gun ban not only did not work, it made things worse.

You were saying something about failing...

They have the ability but they should be required.

Required to do what, have an opinion? What do you do about a doctor who is a dedicated anti gunner and thinks anyone who owns one is dangerous, should they have the ability to make a call to NICS and add a name to the data base and use the excuse, the law requires it, with no fear of repercussions? How far down that road are you willing to travel?

I'll admit there should be some oversight or procedures in place to minimize possible abuses. But an honest discussion about this is needed and I believe solutions can be found that'll help keep the mentally disturbed from purchasing guns.

If a doctor has the power to involuntary commit a dangerous patient then he should have the power to submit his name to NCIC (National Crime Information Center). IMO

One small problem, an involuntary commitment is usually for 72 hours a name entered in NICS is permanent unless you go to court and get a judge to reverse it. The power to enter a name on NICS should be reserved to the justice system.

Forum List

Back