'Daily Show' Segment Shows Exactly Why The US Can't Pass New Gun Laws

Daily Show On Gun Control Laws - Business Insider

"Last week, we learned that while our Senate was unable to pass even the most basic gun control measures, Australia has had a successful gun control scheme for almost two decades," "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart said, introducing the segment.

Oliver talked to Australian politicians who said they were outed from office because they supported new gun measures after a 1996 mass shooting that killed 35 people. Supporters of Australia's laws cite the fact that Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not experienced any mass shootings since.

Oliver shamed the four Democrats that voted against background checks last week — Sens. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Begich of Alaska, and Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota.

He mocked them for having the "courage" to "reduce the rate of political suicide" in Congress.

Read more: Daily Show On Gun Control Laws - Business Insider

Basically the reason we cant get real gun control here is because pols don't want to lose their jobs.

[ame=http://youtu.be/TYbY45rHj8w]The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

You glean all this from a comedy skit, from a comedy show that airs on Comedy Central?
This certainly explains a lot.

See the link, it says Business Insider. Did you glean that while working on your sarcasm?

Maybe you should focus on one thing at a time. Read first then try the funny

Because the NRA is well funded and wields more political power than 300 million other ppl.

How is this hard for ppl to understand?

And who funds the NRA???

Not the Government like Planned Parenthood.

Voters fund the NRA.

Answer: 3 Million ppl and they are more organized and have more political power than 300 million.

Well over 4 million actually but the point is, the majority cannot take away the rights of a minority, no matter how small. At one time, a majority of Americans were against desegregation of races in public schools. You down with that? After all, if the majority wanted it that way...

"Last week, we learned that while our Senate was unable to pass even the most basic gun control measures, Australia has had a successful gun control scheme for almost two decades," "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart said, introducing the segment.

Oliver talked to Australian politicians who said they were outed from office because they supported new gun measures after a 1996 mass shooting that killed 35 people. Supporters of Australia's laws cite the fact that Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not experienced any mass shootings since.

Oliver shamed the four Democrats that voted against background checks last week — Sens. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Max Baucus of Montana, Mark Begich of Alaska, and Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota.

He mocked them for having the "courage" to "reduce the rate of political suicide" in Congress.

Basically the reason we cant get real gun control here is because pols don't want to lose their jobs.

Nice to see the left actually admit their end game.

It says Australia...Turn down the stupid

Stewart whines because America didn't pass their own 'successful gun control scheme'.

Gawd, I actually had to point that out to you? Putz.

Stewart didn't even do the interview so yeah, pointing out things that never happened seems to be your forte'. Tell me about the great unicorn migration next, dummy

It says Australia...Turn down the stupid

Stewart whines because America didn't pass their own 'successful gun control scheme'.

Gawd, I actually had to point that out to you? Putz.

Stewart didn't even do the interview so yeah, pointing out things that never happened seems to be your forte'. Tell me about the great unicorn migration next, dummy

:lol: dumbass

Yes Jon Stewart is the host....and like I said he didn't even do the interview.

And my point is it has been addressed. Doctors already have the ability to break privilege and report a dangerous patient.

They have the ability but they should be required.

Required to do what, have an opinion? What do you do about a doctor who is a dedicated anti gunner and thinks anyone who owns one is dangerous, should they have the ability to make a call to NICS and add a name to the data base and use the excuse, the law requires it, with no fear of repercussions? How far down that road are you willing to travel?

I'll admit there should be some oversight or procedures in place to minimize possible abuses. But an honest discussion about this is needed and I believe solutions can be found that'll help keep the mentally disturbed from purchasing guns.

If a doctor has the power to involuntary commit a dangerous patient then he should have the power to submit his name to NCIC (National Crime Information Center). IMO

[ame="http://youtu.be/TYbY45rHj8w"]http://youtu.be/TYbY45rHj8w[/ame]
Everyone should watch this clip.

Why, so we can see just how misleading it is?

From Post #10:

Supporters of Australia's laws cite the fact that Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not experienced any mass shootings since.

That's a lie. They had a mass shooting in 2002 when a university student shot and killed teachers and students. They also had another mass killing in 2000 when 15 were killed...but since the bad guy didn't use a gun, I guess those people are somehow less dead....

I notice Stewart and his flunky also overlooked the fact that violent crime increased following the firearms confiscation. Oh those pesky facts that don't support your agenda...

They also didn't mention that since the gun ban, Australia has a higher rate of rape than the US. Yep, the rate of rape in Australia is 150 times that of the US. I guess their idea of gun control is giving a 120lb woman the 'right' to fistfight a 250lb rapist. Talk about a war on women!

Then there's this little fact: Australia ranks 1st, that's right NUMBER 1, in total crime victims per capita....43% higher than in America. All those unarmed civilians have resulted in the highest crime rate rates in the world...and you're celebrating? Sick, just sick.

What happened next has been the subject of several academic studies. Violent crime and gun-related deaths did not come to an end in Australia, of course. But as the Washington Post’s Wonkblog pointed out in August, homicides by firearm plunged 59 percent between 1995 and 2006, with no corresponding increase in non-firearm-related homicides. The drop in suicides by gun was even steeper: 65 percent. Studies found a close correlation between the sharp declines and the gun buybacks. Robberies involving a firearm also dropped significantly. Meanwhile, home invasions did not increase, contrary to fears that firearm ownership is needed to deter such crimes. But here’s the most stunning statistic. In the decade before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 11 mass shootings in the country. There hasn’t been a single one in Australia since.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/20...hooting_could_australia_s_laws_provide_a.html

From Post #10:

Supporters of Australia's laws cite the fact that Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not experienced any mass shootings since.

That's a lie. They had a mass shooting in 2002 when a university student shot and killed teachers and students. They also had another mass killing in 2000 when 15 were killed...but since the bad guy didn't use a gun, I guess those people are somehow less dead....

I notice Stewart and his flunky also overlooked the fact that violent crime increased following the firearms confiscation. Oh those pesky facts that don't support your agenda...

They also didn't mention that since the gun ban, Australia has a higher rate of rape than the US. Yep, the rate of rape in Australia is 150 times that of the US. I guess their idea of gun control is giving a 120lb woman the 'right' to fistfight a 250lb rapist. Talk about a war on women!

Then there's this little fact: Australia ranks 1st, that's right NUMBER 1, in total crime victims per capita....43% higher than in America. All those unarmed civilians have resulted in the highest crime rate rates in the world...and you're celebrating? Sick, just sick.

Ok ok ok...we get it, they had 1 since 1996. Geez

The Daily Show: John Oliver Investigates Gun Control in Australia - Part 2 - YouTube

You glean all this from a comedy skit, from a comedy show that airs on Comedy Central?
This certainly explains a lot.

See the link, it says Business Insider. Did you glean that while working on your sarcasm?

Maybe you should focus on one thing at a time. Read first then try the funny

I got your funny right here bub...

I quoted Stewart, had to point it out to you once, you tried to sidestep that so here I am ... pointing it out again. I quoted Stewart and commented on what Stewart said, not the interviewer.

Tell me about the great unicorn migration next, dummy. (I still can't figure out if you herped or derped).

Annnnyway ... 'a successful gun control scheme'. Yeah, sounds about right for what the progressive left would like to see here.

From Post #10:

Link?

I quoted Stewart, had to point it out to you once, you tried to sidestep that so here I am ... pointing it out again. I quoted Stewart and commented on what Stewart said, not the interviewer.

Tell me about the great unicorn migration next, dummy. (I still can't figure out if you herped or derped).

Annnnyway ... 'a successful gun control scheme'. Yeah, sounds about right for what the progressive left would like to see here.

'a successful gun control scheme' - is what Australia has. I guess you're upset that that's what they call it an since Stewart had to call it what Australians call it, that means that Stewart wants it to be the same way here. LOL! For example: If Stewart calls Soccer "football" while talking about England that means Stewart wants Football in the US to actually be Soccer!!!!

Waaahh...Hair on Fire!!!

'a successful gun control scheme' - is what Australia has. I guess you're upset that that's what they call it an since Stewart had to call it what Australians call it, that means that Stewart wants it to be the same way here. LOL! For example: If Stewart calls Soccer "football" while talking about England that means Stewart wants Football in the US to actually be Soccer!!!!

Waaahh...Hair on Fire!!!

Point went right over your head again. Woosh!

Waaahh...Hair on Fire!!!

Point went right over your head again. Woosh!

And you cant explain it. Woosh!

'a successful gun control scheme' - is what Australia has.

If by 'successful', you mean that violent crime rates skyrocketed after the ban, resulting in Australia having today the highest rate of crime victims in the world, the 5th highest rate of rape in the world, and an unarmed populace unable to defend themselves against tyranny, then yes, it was successful.

Yea, I'll pass on that definition of 'success'.

Forum List

Back