'Daily Show' Segment Shows Exactly Why The US Can't Pass New Gun Laws

You show us something sensible and we'll listen. Enacting laws that only serve to put law abiding citizens at a disadvantage when facing armed criminals that couldn't care less about your rules is not 'sensible'.

Here's what is:
  1. Increase sentences for violent criminals
  2. Put more cops on the streets
  3. Make it easier to involuntarily commit a mental unstable person (tricky one, granted).
That's how you lessen violent crime.

I also think that relaxing HIPAA laws as it applies to the mentally ill (for background check purposes) needs to be addressed.

Wrong, only a judge shoud have the ability to deny someone of their rights, no doctor is qualified. What is it that you fail to understand about due process.

What rights am I advocating to deny? And what does due process have to do with background checks?

Because we don't allow the tyranny of the majority to override the rights of a minority.

And your 90% stat is bullshit, but you knew that.

Sorry, you are wrong.

Or really? So you think America is a pure Democracy where the majority can eliminate the rights of the minority at will? You go with that dumbshit, you go with that...:cuckoo:

But for future consumption, please don't use Quinnipiac polls to ever boost your point of view, OK?

Never do.

Hey, since you're back, why don't you tell us how criminals in other countries obey their laws....:dunno:

Idiot.

did the founders intend for a government run by 10% of the people?

If that were true why would politicians be worried about their jobs?

You're saying the link and everyone involved in the polling is lying?

Again, suggesting but refusing to come out and say such a silly thing

Quit trying to deflect, it's a simple question. Why would a politician be concerned about their job if a majority of the people support legislation? Answer it.

I'm deflecting? That's funny..I cant answer the question because you are simply suggesting something or someone is lying. Is that what you're saying?

Wow, I've read some of the posts on this thread and I have to shake my head and just chalk it up to the American Education System.

How can 90% of the people (I don't believe that statistic, but we'll run with it) WANT background checks and not be able to pass the law making background checks mandatory? Back to civics class. In Oklahoma we have about 2 to 3 Million citizens. That's it. BUT, we also have two senators just like New York or California. There are NOT 90% of the citizens in Oklahoma that want background checks. Perhaps it may be closer to 10 or 15% percent at the most. But both of our senators voted NO. And thank God. Otherwise I can assure you that they would be looking for a job. Imagine how many states are just like us. The People's Republic of Kalifornia has two senators who voted yes. Oklahoma has two senators that voted no. Remember, it's the House of Representatives that has the number of members directly tied to the population.

That is why (try to stay up with me here) that you can't RAM TRASH through the US Congress without convincing a majority of the states to go along with it. You see here in Oklahoma, we don't blame inanimate objects for acts. We know that it is the person who wields those objects.

God bless the founding fathers and their foresight...

Sorry, you are wrong.

Or really? So you think America is a pure Democracy where the majority can eliminate the rights of the minority at will? You go with that dumbshit, you go with that...:cuckoo:

But for future consumption, please don't use Quinnipiac polls to ever boost your point of view, OK?

Never do.

Hey, since you're back, why don't you tell us how criminals in other countries obey their laws....:dunno:

Idiot.

did the founders intend for a government run by 10% of the people?

Our Founding Fathers believed in a limited government.

"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions." --James Madison

"I think we have more machinery of government than is
necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the
industrious." --Thomas Jefferson

"The Tenth Amendment is the foundation of the Constitution."
- Thomas Jefferson

Because the NRA is well funded and wields more political power than 300 million other ppl.

How is this hard for ppl to understand?

Basically the reason we cant get real gun control here is because pols don't want to lose their jobs.

So much bullshit, so little time:

We have an ABSOLUTE RIGHT to life and to defend the same regardless of what the feds do - if guns are banned freemen will ignore those laws.

How Has Heightened Gun Control Worked in Australia and Britain?

In 2008, the Australian Institute of Criminology reported a decrease of 9% in homicides and a one-third decrease in armed robbery since the 1990s, but an increase of over 40% in assaults and 20% in sexual assaults.

Malcolm sums up:

Strict gun laws in Great Britain and Australia haven't made their people noticeably safer, nor have they prevented massacres. The two major countries held up as models for the U.S. don't provide much evidence that strict gun laws will solve our problems.

Because the NRA is well funded and wields more political power than 300 million other ppl.

How is this hard for ppl to understand?

Yep. At least my contributions do some good. Perhaps I'll invite Wayne over for a celebratory dinner. And for entertainment, we'll come on here and read the whining.

More cops always works.

Its a great investment.

you also need to make sure all the cops have the latest tools and infrastructure they need to get the job done

Cops are always there when the crime first starts?? From the moment you first need protection??

No

Cops are not the complete answer

good for the economy

good for safety.

and will harm no one.

are you looking for a magical answer from God?

Basically the reason we cant get real gun control here is because pols don't want to lose their jobs.

So much bullshit, so little time:

We have an ABSOLUTE RIGHT to life and to defend the same regardless of what the feds do - if guns are banned freemen will ignore those laws.

How Has Heightened Gun Control Worked in Australia and Britain?

In 2008, the Australian Institute of Criminology reported a decrease of 9% in homicides and a one-third decrease in armed robbery since the 1990s, but an increase of over 40% in assaults and 20% in sexual assaults.

Malcolm sums up:

Strict gun laws in Great Britain and Australia haven't made their people noticeably safer, nor have they prevented massacres. The two major countries held up as models for the U.S. don't provide much evidence that strict gun laws will solve our problems.

Did you think gun control was going to end all crimes? Do you think any law will stop any action?

So much bullshit is right, seems to me that is what you're suggesting so I wanted to ask head on to be sure

I also think that relaxing HIPAA laws as it applies to the mentally ill (for background check purposes) needs to be addressed.

Wrong, only a judge shoud have the ability to deny someone of their rights, no doctor is qualified. What is it that you fail to understand about due process.

What rights am I advocating to deny? And what does due process have to do with background checks?

You deny a persons right to buy a firearm when they are added to the disqualified list on NICS, the opinion of one doctor that can't be cross examined should never be enough to add a persons name to that list. A doctor already has the authority to report a patient they feel is dangerous to authorities and it's up to them to act on that information and provide due process. Simple concept.

Forum List

Back