Dangerous yet effective shock replacement

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Resized_20210928_183526.jpeg
Resized_20210928_183836.jpeg
20210928_184654.jpg

The shocks were supposed to come strapped in the compressed position for installation.
I fought the driver side with a floor jack, 2x4 & 1x2 for an hour.

Got to the passenger side and got clever with my tie down straps. Had they broke that thing would have shot up 30 miles lol. My only fear was while I was under the truck and the strap breaking and it shooting down onto me. I have never been more gental at an auto repair than I was with that possible time bomb.
Sadly I had to sacrifice the strap to get it off but it was worth it!

The shock will slow the spring expansion preventing the unit from launching miles away. If strap broke it would not hurt to badly.

• Banned
And by the way I'm not an hvac guy either but I installed my own air conditioner and furnace.

Some people are mechanically inclined regardless of training.

There is VERY little I can't do myself

I never used spring compressors, I always jacked my truck up so the wheels were off the ground.
There was so much room to put them in, I had to secure one end to the truck and pull it about two inches to get it to line up with the bottom bolt holes. Which was a hellofa lot easier than forcing compression.

I never used spring compressors, I always jacked my truck up so the wheels were off the ground.
There was so much room to put them in, I had to secure one end to the truck and pull it about two inches to get it to line up with the bottom bolt holes. Which was a hellofa lot easier than forcing compression.

Some setups are under pressure even when you lift the vehicle off the ground.
When the upper and lower control arms are under pressure jacking up the vehicle doesnt do anything to relieve the pressure between the upper and lower control arms.

Forum List

Back