Darn Rain....You Be Scary....4-5" In A Hour

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Moss Creek might be a couple feet wide even during a wet Spring. It's usually just a bunch of slightly wet rocks this time of year.

About 1430 I heard all this thunder and look out to the NW and this huge black cloud was visible.....I figured good, some much needed rain is headed my way.....Then it just sat there for a good hour before it made it way where we got maybe 1/8".

A friend who lives out that way said he had not seen anything like it in 20+ years.

I've seen rains like that before but mostly in the coastal areas.....4-5" of rain in a hour is a MFer when it comes off the mountains. Signal Knob is just above the place.

OIP._O2YHErpK_7Bq24xkL3rQQHaFj

It's the new normal. While the Western U.S. is scorching and on fire, the Midwest sees downpours that are always short and very intense, rains like 4" in an hour are not unusual here, you just hope it don't happen often. These intense cells are usually pretty small and your chances of getting hit are too.

A couple years ago a nearby town got 11" in one night, everyones basement flooded and insurance wouldn't cover any of it.

I didn't even put in a garden this year because of all the rain. My driveway has been washed out and full of ruts all Summer too. We had the neighbor run a drag blade over it but it washed out again.

That darned Crick must have made one hell of a sacrifice to his damned climate change gods.

It's the new normal. While the Western U.S. is scorching and on fire, the Midwest sees downpours that are always short and very intense, rains like 4" in an hour are not unusual here, you just hope it don't happen often. These intense cells are usually pretty small and your chances of getting hit are too.

A couple years ago a nearby town got 11" in one night, everyones basement flooded and insurance wouldn't cover any of it.
We had one hit like that to the south of me that came off the mountains and flooded scores of walk-down basements. Of the people I knew that got flooded their HO insurance paid for it.

They said it was like a sheet of water/debris about 8" high that came down off the mountain behind them. It was actually the debris that caused the basements to flood. Most had drains at the bottom of the steps but they quickly got clogged up.

LOL.....They all had bulkworks (like a extra step) installed around where the basement entrance was. Of course there has not been a rain like it since.

Moss Creek might be a couple feet wide even during a wet Spring. It's usually just a bunch of slightly wet rocks this time of year.

About 1430 I heard all this thunder and look out to the NW and this huge black cloud was visible.....I figured good, some much needed rain is headed my way.....Then it just sat there for a good hour before it made it way where we got maybe 1/8".

A friend who lives out that way said he had not seen anything like it in 20+ years.

I've seen rains like that before but mostly in the coastal areas.....4-5" of rain in a hour is a MFer when it comes off the mountains. Signal Knob is just above the place.

OIP._O2YHErpK_7Bq24xkL3rQQHaFj

This is in Virginia?

In 1985 in Florida we got 30 inches of rain in 24 hours from an unnamed storm. Water in my front yard was 3 feet deep with water mocassins and balls of fire ants floating around.

Forum List

Back