Dealership gives new truck to veteran who used a truck to help injured victims in Las Vegas

The man who owns the truck that was stolen thanked the veteran and asked for the keys back.

The man who owns the truck that was stolen thanked the veteran and asked for the keys back.

That's a man who has his priorities straight. I would hope 99% of citizens anywhere would understand that a truck has no value compared to a life or lives.

Glad he has been rewarded with a new truck. Great stuff all around.

It is possible that that the man is not guilty of the crime of stealing the truck. Many states statutes describe theft as the taking of property with the intent to deprive the rightful owner permanently. Since the man used the truck for the sole purpose of saving the lives of others, there is no evidence he ever intended to keep the truck longer than what was necessary to accomplish his mission. Even if the state law defines theft as the unlawful taking of property with the intent of depriving the owner even temporarily, the requisite criminal intent may be lacking. The man's intent was solely to save lives, not to deprive the owner of anything. It is possible the man was not aware the owner would actually know the truck was missing until after the life-saving mission was accomplished; therefore, he did not believe the owner would be deprived in any way. Further, it is most likely the man believed the owner would have approved of the use of the truck to save lives and therefore the owners deprivation is a non-issue. There are also considerations within the law that allow for conduct which might otherwise be illegal if the action is necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury.

If the man were to charged with theft, I would rather be his defense attorney than the prosecutor. However, I am reasonably certain no charges will be made. State attorneys are elected and no one wants to commit political suicide.

Forum List

Back