🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Death penalty for Pit Bull? Or Due Process first?

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
Should this pit bull be killed? | New York Post

Wow.

There are criminally insane people spared the death penalty for killing people. What about dogs killing other animals because it's their nature?

Personally, the only people I trust to screen out pit bulls are professional trainers who know the difference. Anyone else who would take that risk, maybe they are the ones who need to be held responsible legally.

Shouldn't the neighbors and residents affected have rights to bar such dangers from their community? Does this really requiring killing the dogs instead of regulating the owners?

"Caesar, 7, who had escaped from his back yard, ripped apart the tiny Chihuahua and left its owner, a 77-year-old man, with 18 puncture wounds, according to city records."

Kill it

I'm a big time dog lover and have no problem with Pits but he has attacked people and killed multiple animals. It isn't his fault, his owner isn't any smarter than he is and is a danger to society. I'd be tempted to put the owner down too.

What about dogs killing other animals because it's their nature?

Dogs don't think like people. It isn't their instinct to kill other animals, it is their instinct to kill.
And because that is their nature, it makes them unsafe for society. They should not be considered pets.
They may not kill their owner, but their owners bad decision may cause death to the owner's child, their neighbor's pet, their neighbor, the woman in 12B..
You are right Ice, most owners are not the dog whisperer. Their bad judgment should have consequences.

Dogs don't think like people. It isn't their instinct to kill other animals, it is their instinct to kill.
And because that is their nature, it makes them unsafe for society. They should not be considered pets.
They may not kill their owner, but their owners bad decision may cause death to the owner's child, their neighbor's pet, their neighbor, the woman in 12B..
You are right Ice, most owners are not the dog whisperer. Their bad judgment should have consequences.
Domestic dogs are not wild canines. They have been bred for thousands of years. My dog loves people and dogs. Cats and wildlife, not so much.

Domestic dogs are not wild canines. They have been bred for thousands of years. My dog loves people and dogs. Cats and wildlife, not so much.

We have a mastiff...I pity the fool that ever harmed or attempted harm to one of our children when that mutt is around. He's a protector

Dog's have been bred for thousands of years. You can change their color, size, domesticate them, and train them. But you can't breed out instincts. They are hard wired into animal's genes. You can train a dog to lie down on command. Yet, when that same dog is outside he'll go around in circles 4 or 5 times before he lands. That is his ancestor tamping down the high grass to make a bed. A pit may be the picture of domesticity for years and years, and then in an instant, rips some kid's face off for running to close to the pit bull's path. The risk is just to great. The consequences are usually horrendous and life changing and inflicted on someone or thing other than the owner of the dog. There is a reason for the pit bull's reputation.

Last edited:
Dog's have been bred for thousands of years. You can change their color, size, domesticate them, and train them. But you can't breed out instinct. They are hard wired into animal's genes. You can train a dog to lie down on command. Yet, when that same dog is outside he'll go around in circles 4 or 5 times before he lands. That is his ancestor tamping down the high grass to make a bed. A pit may be the picture of domesticity for years and years, and then in an instant, rips some kid's face off for running to close to the pit bull's path. The risk is just to great. The consequences are usually horrendous and life changing and inflicted on someone or thing other than the owner of the dog. There is a reason for the pit bull's reputation.
Pits are often owned by the wrong people for the wrong reason. You can breed for instincts, some breeds hunt game, some rodents, herd, guard track, etc. It comes naturally to them.

You could beat my female to death and she'sd never growl at you. You have a lot of learning to do.

Wow.

There are criminally insane people spared the death penalty for killing people. What about dogs killing other animals because it's their nature?

Personally, the only people I trust to screen out pit bulls are professional trainers who know the difference. Anyone else who would take that risk, maybe they are the ones who need to be held responsible legally.

Shouldn't the neighbors and residents affected have rights to bar such dangers from their community? Does this really requiring killing the dogs instead of regulating the owners?
If a dog killed my cat I would kill the dog myself.

It would not need a trial or a lawyer.

We have a mastiff...I pity the fool that ever harmed or attempted harm to one of our children when that mutt is around. He's a protector
Whenever dogs growl at me I give them the Arnold Schwartzenegger growl back.

That usually scares the crap out of them.

Whenever dogs growl at me I give them the Arnold Schwartzenegger growl back.

That usually scares the crap out of them.
You get into arguments with canines?

Wow.

If a dog killed my cat I would kill the dog myself.

It would not need a trial or a lawyer.

That depends on where it occurred.

I recently had a run in with a neighbor from an adjacent neighborhood on this issue. The back yards of our houses connect although there is a small wooded area in mine prior to reaching the property line. The neighbor's rabbit, one that is apparently real expensive, got out of it's cage and entered my back yard. I have two dogs that, while I do not use them to hunt, are partly of a breed bred to hunt. Both are part beagle. The rabbit died while in my yard although not a single mark was on the rabbit. The other homeowner thought it would be a good idea to sue me and filed in magistrate's court. It took about 5 minutes to adjudicate the case. The claim was that my dogs killed the rabbit. My only defense was that my dogs were and had been in my yard and the rabbit came into my yard. Case closed with judgment for the defendant.

Dog's have been bred for thousands of years. You can change their color, size, domesticate them, and train them. But you can't breed out instinct. They are hard wired into animal's genes. You can train a dog to lie down on command. Yet, when that same dog is outside he'll go around in circles 4 or 5 times before he lands. That is his ancestor tamping down the high grass to make a bed. A pit may be the picture of domesticity for years and years, and then in an instant, rips some kid's face off for running to close to the pit bull's path. The risk is just to great. The consequences are usually horrendous and life changing and inflicted on someone or thing other than the owner of the dog. There is a reason for the pit bull's reputation.
Pits are often owned by the wrong people for the wrong reason. You can breed for instincts, some breeds hunt game, some rodents, herd, guard track, etc. It comes naturally to them.

You could beat my female to death and she'sd never growl at you. You have a lot of learning to do.

You kind of proved my point though. You can breed to improve the instincts. You can't remove the instinct. A hunting dog will always want to hunt. It is natural for him. You can take his instinct, and couple it with another proven hunting dog and increase the chances of the offspring's skills being even better than the parents. And, even after thousands of years of not needing to hunt for food to survive, the desire to hunt remains.

Conversely, If you have a dog with a particular inclination, an undesirable one, such as hip dysplasia, aggression, poor eyesight, and pair it with the same, you increase the chances that the offspring will be worse than the parents. Pit Bull aggression + Pit Bull aggression = a time bomb.

Your dog may be a sweetheart, but it also may be the exception to the rule. Pit bulls are #1 on the list of attacks by breed. Why take the chance when there are dogs whose temperament is much more desirable and far less likely to get your ass sued off.

As for learning, I learned at my Daddy's knee. His dogs won best of show in arena and field. He had lists of people that wanted pups. No little treats, just stand at attention and eyes straight ahead until he said otherwise. They were remarkable.

You kind of proved my point though. You can breed to improve the instincts. You can't remove the instinct. A hunting dog will always want to hunt. It is natural for him. You can take his instinct, and couple it with another proven hunting dog and increase the chances of the offspring's skills being even better than the parents. And, even after thousands of years of not needing to hunt for food to survive, the desire to hunt remains.

Conversely, If you have a dog with a particular inclination, an undesirable one, such as hip dysplasia, aggression, poor eyesight, and pair it with the same, you increase the chances that the offspring will be worse than the parents. Pit Bull aggression + Pit Bull aggression = a time bomb.

Your dog may be a sweetheart, but it also may be the exception to the rule. Pit bulls are #1 on the list of attacks by breed. Why take the chance when there are dogs whose temperament is much more desirable and far less likely to get your ass sued off.

As for learning, I learned at my Daddy's knee. His dogs won best of show in arena and field. He had lists of people that wanted pups. No little treats, just stand at attention and eyes straight ahead until he said otherwise. They were remarkable.
Like I said, Pits are often owned by the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Mine might have some Pit in her, nobody knows. But she is no exception, millions of dogs are very tame around people.

Best in show means nothing to me. I don't have a trophy, I have a pet. Dogs need socialization and interaction to be healthy, like people. And if you recognize traits can be bred then it's no stretch to understand good friendly personalities can be part of it.

"Caesar, 7, who had escaped from his back yard, ripped apart the tiny Chihuahua and left its owner, a 77-year-old man, with 18 puncture wounds, according to city records."

Kill it

Yep.

I feel kind of dirty agreeing with Sassy on anything but I am pretty much a one strike and you are out when it comes to dog attacks on people. The owner is very lucky the 77 year old did not die.

The dog should be put down.

Animals accused of attacking others generally do get a hearing. I've testified many times on behalf of animals.

Not in this case certainly but in many cases the accusation against the animal is bogus and made just to get a settlement from the homeowners insurance company.

Wow.

Personally, the only people I trust to screen out pit bulls are professional trainers who know the difference.

Here's how ranchers screen out pitbulls. If they are on our land chasing our stock, they get the death penalty. No judge, no jury, only an executioner.

Forum List

Back