Deflate-gate? Report: Patriots being investigated for using deflated footballs

If you notice, the refs, when they pick up the balls, they squeeze them and inspect them, just for these reasons. If a ball is defective in some manner, they take it out of play and get a new ball.

Or was there a bait and switch going on.
Tom Brady and the Patriots will not be forgotten for this taint forever.
Besides, if you can't squeeze the ball in your hand, what difference would it make to the game in reality? How much better could you grip the ball with 1 or 2 PSI? Balls are supposed to be between 12-1/2 to 13, the balls were allegedly at about 11 PSI. Could it be that the refs made a mistake? Why was it 11 out of 12 balls and not all 12?

They didnt have enough time to get to that last ball?

Or was there a switch and bait going on.
Besides, if you can't squeeze the ball in your hand, what difference would it make to the game in reality? How much better could you grip the ball with 1 or 2 PSI? Balls are supposed to be between 12-1/2 to 13, the balls were allegedly at about 11 PSI. Could it be that the refs made a mistake? Why was it 11 out of 12 balls and not all 12?

Oh yeah, Lol. That must be it. Some of you idiots are just ridiculous. Get a life. :lol:

Do you remember hearing about the Dolphin game where a Jets coach intentionally tripped our player? Is this what you want to see happening in all the games? A damn free for all? Because the allowing of intentional infractions leads to episodes such as that and bounties being put on players, etc. when penalties for such are not severe.
Personally, I would think playoff games should come with even steeper punishment, if cheating is determined.

I was responding to the 911 nutter, and he has already stated that in the Rams go outside the rules of the NFL to move to LA, that it is okay with him.

Cheating is relative.
The moment you quailfy cheating is when the integrity of the sport diminishes.

So all "cheating" destroys the "integrity" of the sport? That includes defensive backs getting away with a hold...or an offensive player getting away with a push-off to catch a winning touchdown...pick plays of course should have offensive coordinators banned for life? Kickers shouldn't be able to use different balls than everyone else...

Please explain to me why a "rub" play has more "integrity" than playing with a softer football?

You cant compare a heat of the moment hold to a planned and calculated attempt to cheat.
They're not even close to the same thing.

A rub play is pretty intentional, it is planned and not a heat of the moment.

Also if you hold, do you tell the ref that you held, so, he can penalize the team. Integrity of the game and all.

Sounds like baseball more than football.
You said earlier
And just because someone hasn't gotten caught makes it ok, in your eyes. Just wow! Remind me to never play cards with you.
Integrity you lack, along with all the others saying, no big
deal.

So if you hold, do you go to the ref and have them penalize you for holding? You are cheating, and you said not getting caught doesn't make it okay.

I'm trying to define where the line is?

A rub is a very intentional play, yet if it is not called no one says a word.

Deflated ball, the refs are supposed to check them before the game, they handled the balls, they said nothing. Now, after the game it is a problem. Now that there is a problem, what is the solution? What is the penalty?

Before you can claim any of your free for all why are some forms of cheating allowed and others not?

Do you remember hearing about the Dolphin game where a Jets coach intentionally tripped our player? Is this what you want to see happening in all the games? A damn free for all? Because the allowing of intentional infractions leads to episodes such as that and bounties being put on players, etc. when penalties for such are not severe.
Personally, I would think playoff games should come with even steeper punishment, if cheating is determined.

So all "cheating" destroys the "integrity" of the sport? That includes defensive backs getting away with a hold...or an offensive player getting away with a push-off to catch a winning touchdown...pick plays of course should have offensive coordinators banned for life? Kickers shouldn't be able to use different balls than everyone else...

Please explain to me why a "rub" play has more "integrity" than playing with a softer football?

You cant compare a heat of the moment hold to a planned and calculated attempt to cheat.

Also if you hold, do you tell the ref that you held, so, he can penalize the team. Integrity of the game and all.

You said earlier
And just because someone hasn't gotten caught makes it ok, in your eyes. Just wow! Remind me to never play cards with you.
deal.

So if you hold, do you go to the ref and have them penalize you for holding? You are cheating, and you said not getting caught doesn't make it okay.

Deflated ball, the refs are supposed to check them before the game, they handled the balls, they said nothing. Now, after the game it is a problem. Now that there is a problem, what is the solution? What is the penalty?

Before you can claim any of your free for all why are some forms of cheating allowed and others not?

Cheating is not accepted that is why there are rules. Break the rules pay the price. You trying to rationalize and normalize that does not work.

Or was there a switch and bait going on.

Oh yeah, Lol. That must be it. Some of you idiots are just ridiculous. Get a life. :lol:

Missed the sarcasm.....
But seriously,who gives a crap about one ball out of twelve being right?
If anything it proves they know what the ball should be inflated to....but they missed the other eleven.
Yeah ..thats how it happened.

And another thing, what the hell do you think this teach kids?

What did BountyGate teach our kids? Don't get caught, because bounties were and are wide spread.

What does seeing a guy hold on a play and not get called don't get caught?

Carroll left USC and went to Seattle to escape NCAA penalties. He cheated and now he is revered in Seattle, what does that teach your kids?

Belichick cheated he got caught, so the kid learns, don't get caught.

You said earlier
deal.

From what I understand the refs check the balls two and a half hours before the game and give them right back to the team.
So finding the time to let some air out of em wouldnt be a problem in the least.
For all we know they deflated the balls halfway through the first quarter and no one noticed till the interception.
See thats the thing about known cheaters,they dont get the benefit of the doubt.

And not allowed. What is it that you don't get?
If anything at all, a deflated ball made it easier for them to grip. That is all.

I just heard a news report about this. Now, they said that two hours before game time, the officials check the balls and check the PSI, then hand the balls back to the ball boys. Now, I must wonder WHO is on the sidelines deflating footballs without being noticed? Lol!

I think those footballs must have been defective. Maybe they should have had a recall. :lol:

Anyhow, maybe Bill is a bit of a sleaze, but the Pats would have beat the hell out of the Colts regardless (obviously). I'm a little upset if this is true because the Patriots don't need to cheat to win games. They are a great team. I watch all of their games. Also, one of the Colts said the Pats would have beat them if they had been playing with a ball of soap. :lol:

Ok look. A football to an NFL quarterback is like a scalpel in the hands of a surgeon or a golf club in the hands of a PGA pro. There is a very specific way Phil Mickelson wants his irons. He wants a very specific grind. he wants a very specific weighting. He wants a very specific flex in the shaft because all those things impact what he can do with the ball and how he swings a golf club. To the average hacker such minimal details would make no difference in their game at all, but to a tour professional they make all the difference in the world.

A football to an NFL quarterback is the same thing. It's not like they take these balls out of the box on game day and say "here you go". The balls are treated exactly to the specification of the quarterback. They are worked in, they are rubbed down to remove the slippery finish...there's a whole bunch of stuff they do to them. So when those balls get to the sideline they are in the exact shape the quarterback wants and according to the specifications he wants.

Now they were checked by the refs and found to be ok and then suddenly they all lose 2 psi? :bs1: It's clear that New England knew what was legal and what wasn't so they made sure they were legal for the inspection and afterwards adjusted them to Brady's preferences. Unless you are suggesting that a ball boy or equipment manager took it upon themselves to alter the balls which is absolutely ludicrous. The balls were adjusted because that's how Brady wanted them. It's illegal. They knew it. They did it anyhow. It's cheating and it's on Brady and it's on Belichick because Belichick doesn't give two shits how the balls are as long as they are what his quarterback wants.

You said earlier
deal.

From what I understand the refs check the balls two and a half hours before the game and give them right back to the team.
So finding the time to let some air out of em wouldnt be a problem in the least.
For all we know they deflated the balls halfway through the first quarter and no one noticed till the interception.
See thats the thing about known cheaters,they dont get the benefit of the doubt.

Where in the hell did I say cheater should get the benefit of anything. I'm asking where is the line.

Please answer the question, if you hold someone and the flag is not thrown, do you go to the ref and tell the ref that you held and need penalized or do you not say anything about you being a cheater?

And that is my point.

You start making punishment so costly they wouldn'-t dare.

What did BountyGate teach our kids? Don't get caught, because bounties were and are wide spread.

Carroll left USC and went to Seattle to escape NCAA penalties. He cheated and now he is revered in Seattle, what does that teach your kids?

And that is my point.

And that would be.....

Let it be the owner that suffers, even if unaware. Hit him with game suspensions, fines so high the cheating doesn'-t pay for itself because it hurts so badly, no matter the infraction.. Maybe no draft picks at all for a year. Repeated offenses, same owner? Three strikes and they are out. The league and the owners all need to be held responsible. Coaches caught cheating repeatedly? No longer able to coach in the NFL. The commissioner, so many infractions by teams over a certain number of years? He is out.
Money talks in the NFL. And hit their pocketbooks hard enough they will learn to fly right.
It has become nothing but a big syndicate anymore.
And that is my point.

And that would be.....

Let it be the owner that suffers, even if unaware. Hit him with game suspensions, fines so high the cheating doesn'-t pay for itself because it hurts so badly, no matter the infraction.. Maybe no draft picks at all for a year. Repeated offenses, same owner? Three strikes and they are out. The league and the owners all need to be held responsible. Coaches caught cheating repeatedly? No longer able to coach in the NFL. The commissioner, so many infractions by teams over a certain number of years? He is out.
Money talks in the NFL. And hit their pocketbooks hard enough they will learn to fly right.

As a Seahawks fan this is a tough one for me. If a player is caught taking PEDs (cheating) he gets suspended. Hell they threatened to suspend Lynch from the Super Bowl if he wore his gold cleats. Now I don't know anyone who is suggesting that the Colts would have won that game had New England not cheated...but New England cheated so some suspensions are in order. I would suspend Belichick and Brady, because as I mentioned earlier, there is no way in hell those balls were deflated on anyone's orders other than Brady's. No chance under the sun.

But do it next year. I don't want to give Patriots fans any excuse if and when Seattle wins the Super Bowl (which I think they will anyhow). I would rather have them at full strength. In a way it sucks for the Seahawks too because if Belichick or Brady is suspended for the Superb Owl Seattle will never get proper recognition for winning it.

That's why it has to be so harsh, it never comes to that. Sadly, Seattle is an indirect victim in this.

As a Seahawks fan this is a tough one for me. If a player is caught taking PEDs (cheating) he gets suspended. Hell they threatened to suspend Lynch from the Super Bowl if he wore his gold cleats. Now I don't know anyone who is suggesting that the Colts would have won that game had New England not cheated...but New England cheated so some suspensions are in order. I would suspend Belichick and Brady, because as I mentioned earlier, there is no way in hell those balls were deflated on anyone's orders other than Brady's. No chance under the sun.

But do it next year. I don't want to give Patriots fans any excuse if and when Seattle wins the Super Bowl (which I think they will anyhow). I would rather have them at full strength. In a way it sucks for the Seahawks too because if Belichick or Brady is suspended for the Superb Owl Seattle will never get proper recognition for winning it.

That's why it has to be so harsh, it never comes to that. Sadly, Seattle is an indirect victim in this.

Well I hope they don't do Superb Owl suspensions as I have heard some people (a lot actually) suggest. Without Brady that game will be a complete slaughter and it will rob the fans of both teams and football in general of what should be a great game. It would be totally the Patriots fault, but I don't want to win that way and I don't know anyone else who does.....well...except Brady and Belichick and apparently everyone else that thinks that cheating is no big deal.

I agree as in next year, everything must change.
This year? For the owner? Cut the profits from the game. Let other owners see a taste. This isn't this owner's first time around this block.

Forum List

Back