Democrats do not have a majority in the Senate.

True, but the 47 plus 4 is 51, now if 2 of those independents (a term I use a bit loosely) voted with the GOP then the GOP would have the 51 votes needed to organize the senate.
Shouldn't matter who they vote with, in my opinion. In fact, if you're talking about Manchin and Sinema, they have voted against Democrats several times, which is why they both changed party affiliation to independents. I'd like to see the exact wording of how it is decided which party has the majority.

Shouldn't matter who they vote with, in my opinion. In fact, if you're talking about Manchin and Sinema, they have voted against Democrats several times, which is why they both changed party affiliation to independents. I'd like to see the exact wording of how it is decided which party has the majority.

They can vote for whoever they want and whoever gets the most vote wins.

There was talk about Dem's voting for Mike Johnson to keep him in his position which is one reason the desire to toss him ended.

True, but the 47 plus 4 is 51, now if 2 of those independents (a term I use a bit loosely) voted with the GOP then the GOP would have the 51 votes needed to organize the senate.
Problem is independents gave the Senate Majority leader to a democrat. If you are a member of the majority parties you shouldn't be allowed to vote for the majority leader .

Not sure of the exact wording but 51 votes is needed to organize the senate.

Problem is independents gave the Senate Majority leader to a democrat. If you are a member of the majority parties you shouldn't be allowed to vote for the majority leader .
We have at various times over the years independents in the senate. Not sure of the legal wording but to be the majority you need 51 votes, unless there is a 50 50 split along party lines then the Vice President breaks the tie.

We have at various times over the years independents in the senate. Not sure of the legal wording but to be the majority you need 51 votes, unless there is a 50 50 split along party lines then the Vice President breaks the tie.
My point is independents vote democrat. Because a 47-49 seat is not the majority.

Forum List

Back