Democrats propose nationwide 10-cent tax on plastic bags

You have to remember to take the re-usable bags, you have to clean them, you have to schedule your day better. You have to know exactly how much you will be shopping for.

That's all well and good for the limousine liberals who have their servants do the shopping, but I guess the poor and middle class can inconvenience themselves some more so you can feel better about "doing something"
Seriously? You consider it a big deal to throw a grocery bag in the laundry? To keep them in your car?

You're making stupid excuses. It is not a terrible, life changing inconvenience to not use plastic bags. It does require a little personal responsibility. Once people accepted it as the norm it would be a non issue

Fine, then convince me to do it, don't use government to force me to do it or pay a fine.

And all those plastic bags get dual use in my house, I use them as small garbage bags, and they are used for people to take leftovers home for sunday dinner. I know a lot of people who use them to pick up dog crap as well.
Again, as individuals we often make selfish choices that individually have little negative impact but in the aggregate are very destructive.

So the correct response is oppressive government persuasion so you can feel all warm and fuzzy.

Got it.
If you feel a slight tax on a convenience item to be oppression i dont think we can really discuss the issue

If you think its proper to tax someone over something as mundane as shopping bags, I agree.

How about we tax something that makes YOUR life easier?

Seriously? You consider it a big deal to throw a grocery bag in the laundry? To keep them in your car?

You're making stupid excuses. It is not a terrible, life changing inconvenience to not use plastic bags. It does require a little personal responsibility. Once people accepted it as the norm it would be a non issue

Fine, then convince me to do it, don't use government to force me to do it or pay a fine.

And all those plastic bags get dual use in my house, I use them as small garbage bags, and they are used for people to take leftovers home for sunday dinner. I know a lot of people who use them to pick up dog crap as well.
Again, as individuals we often make selfish choices that individually have little negative impact but in the aggregate are very destructive.

So the correct response is oppressive government persuasion so you can feel all warm and fuzzy.

Got it.
If you feel a slight tax on a convenience item to be oppression i dont think we can really discuss the issue

If you think its proper to tax someone over something as mundane as shopping bags, I agree.

Those plastic bags do make my life easier.

But what did you have in mind?

Got it.

What's something you do that I wouldn't approve of?

How about we tax each post you make about taxing other people?

Got it.

You really miss the point, dont you?

It's not about any individual's behavior but rather the behavior of society as a whole

Got it.

It's not about any individual's behavior but rather the behavior of society as a whole

And if you want to change it, do it some other way than government force, in particular federal government force.

If some shitty town wants to pull this crap, let them do it. It's not a federal responsibility.

And if you want to change it, do it some other way than government force, in particular federal government force.

If some shitty town wants to pull this crap, let them do it. It's not a federal responsibility.
really? it impacts federal lands and waterways, interstate commerce...

Exactly.

Merchants are the ones who pay for the bags. Pass a law that allows and even requires them to charge for the plastic bags. The funds should go to the merchant who is paying for them. The bags are sellable products that can increase the merchant's profit. Anyone who doesn't want to pay doesn't have to. All they have to do is bring their own. They can recycle their bags or use cloth ones. Less plastic will get used, the people who should make money from the bags will get the funds instead of the government, customers are given choice and everyone should, could or might be happy.
I agree, I think the merchant should be required to sell the bags. In my area, the merchant charges for bags. I've noticed that it has really cut down on the use of plastic bags. People carry their own cloth bags and avoid the cost. I think it's a good idea. The little inconvenience it causes is well worth avoiding the damage causes to the environment. Also cloth bags as well as being reusable hold more and don't break the way plastic does.

Every year, around 500 billion plastic bags are used worldwide. 500,000,000,000. Five hundred followed by nine zeros. That's a lot of bags. So many that over one million bags are being used every minute and they're damaging our environment.

Plastic bags are difficult and costly to recycle and most end up on landfill sites where they take around 300 years to photodegrade. They break down into tiny toxic particles that contaminate the soil and waterways and enter the food chain when animals and humans accidentally ingest them.
http://dpw.lacounty.gov/epd/PlasticBags/Articles/Googobits_07-21-05.pdf

"Democrats propose 10-cent tax on plastic bags nationwide - Washington Times"

Here we have the Times lying again.

One democrat does not constitute 'democrats,' one democrat is not 'representative' of all democrats, consequently 'democrats' propose no such thing.

Thats an excuse used by every progressive to screw over other people.

Merchants are the ones who pay for the bags. Pass a law that allows and even requires them to charge for the plastic bags. The funds should go to the merchant who is paying for them. The bags are sellable products that can increase the merchant's profit. Anyone who doesn't want to pay doesn't have to. All they have to do is bring their own. They can recycle their bags or use cloth ones. Less plastic will get used, the people who should make money from the bags will get the funds instead of the government, customers are given choice and everyone should, could or might be happy.
I agree, I think the merchant should be required to sell the bags. In my area, the merchant charges for bags. I've noticed that it has really cut down on the use of plastic bags. People carry their own cloth bags and avoid the cost. I think it's a good idea. The little inconvenience it causes is well worth avoiding the damage causes to the environment. Also cloth bags as well as being reusable hold more and don't break the way plastic does.

Every year, around 500 billion plastic bags are used worldwide. 500,000,000,000. Five hundred followed by nine zeros. That's a lot of bags. So many that over one million bags are being used every minute and they're damaging our environment.

Plastic bags are difficult and costly to recycle and most end up on landfill sites where they take around 300 years to photodegrade. They break down into tiny toxic particles that contaminate the soil and waterways and enter the food chain when animals and humans accidentally ingest them.
http://dpw.lacounty.gov/epd/PlasticBags/Articles/Googobits_07-21-05.pdf

Figures you are a fan of this. Nothing better than the smell of more taxes in the morning.

Forum List

Back