Democrats propose nationwide 10-cent tax on plastic bags

Liberals are mentally ill. They pushed plastic bags on us to save the trees. They outlawed plastic bags in places here because they don't decompose...DUH. But you can buy a paper bag for a 5 cent tax. I guess it goes to a saving the trees fund. Or the children.
Then we should increase the price of paper bags to 50c. So we save trees and the environment.
They aren't selling many now, genius. People bring their own or use the cart and unload right into their vehicles. Trees are a renewable source but biogradable bags would have made sense. Libs are too mentally ill to figure it out.

Look Weasel.....Cutting trees is renewable but production of paper bags by factories produces emissions thus releasing it to the environment.

Thank God I only use bags made from baby seals and spotted owls.

House Democrats have introduced legislation that would impose a 10-cent tax on plastic bags nationwide.

Rep. Alan S. Lowenthal, California Democrat, introduced the Trash Reduction Act of 2015 on Thursday in an effort to “dramatically reduce plastic trash nationwide,” according to a press release. He said he hopes the plastic bag models in California and the District of Columbia can be expanded nationwide.

Democrats propose 10-cent tax on plastic bags nationwide - Washington Times

More of the Democrats war on the poor and the middle class. More taxes.
right. because the poor and middle class can't be bothered to use a paper or canvas bag. that's for rich folk

Right. They will have to purchase paper bags since they use the grocery store provided plastic bags. Got it?
the burden of a $1 reusable bag... so terrible

Not everywhere. Where I live we are required to bag our garbage before placing it into the garbage can for pickup.

Actually it would be a benefit to the environment but exactly how much? Plastic water bottles and soft drink and juice bottles are thrown out on the side of every highway in America. The landfills are full of plastic pvc pipe, car tires, asphalt shingles, tile of all kinds, etc. There are tons of broken plastic toys some of them forts and doll houses and the like that are tossed into the landfills every year.

Thank God I only use bags made from baby seals and spotted owls.

right. because the poor and middle class can't be bothered to use a paper or canvas bag. that's for rich folk

Right. They will have to purchase paper bags since they use the grocery store provided plastic bags. Got it?

Not everywhere. Where I live we are required to bag our garbage before placing it into the garbage can for pickup.
ok...
you know garbage bags are not what the proposed tax would be on, right?

Actually it would be a benefit to the environment but exactly how much? Plastic water bottles and soft drink and juice bottles are thrown out on the side of every highway in America. The landfills are full of plastic pvc pipe, car tires, asphalt shingles, tile of all kinds, etc. There are tons of broken plastic toys some of them forts and doll houses and the like that are tossed into the landfills every year.
yep. i wouldnt mind more places imposing a bottle deposit, and we could do much better about recycling

ok...

I'm not speaking of what is sold as garbage bags. I am speaking on what Walmart and all the stores put your groceries in. Many people use these for garbage bags.

ok...

I'm not speaking of what is sold as garbage bags. I am speaking on what Walmart and all the stores put your groceries in. Many people use these for garbage bags.
okay. well that sucks for them.

Right. Plastic bags have no negative impact on the environment. There is not a giant floating mass of plastic in the pacific.

Do you agree that it would be environmentally beneficial to use fewer plastic bags?

It would be environmentally beneficial if a few million people killed themselves, want to make a federal law mandating that? Want to volunteer?
This is why you can't be taken seriously. You want to equate a small tax on an environmentally unfriendly product that has inexpensive and more friendly substitutes to mandatory suicide.

You have gone completely off the deep end here
i only object because it micromanages our taxes instead of solving a problem through Infrastructure.
I think there is a place for both. There's no reason a usage tax to encourage behavioral change couldn't be coupled with improvements in waste management. In fact i'd say that one without the other is an incomplete solution

The problem is to get everyone on the same page with simple instructions easy enough to remember.

Then everyone should use reusable bags. How easy is that? So people stop whining about 10c or 25c.

yep. i wouldnt mind more places imposing a bottle deposit, and we could do much better about recycling

Do you realize the impact of one little child's Barbie jeep has? Those things contain more volume than probably a Walmart Super Center's plastic bags create in any given day. The landfills are full of Barbie jeeps and the like.

ok...

That's mostly your poor people. A lot of them on EBT already.

ok...

That's mostly your poor people. A lot of them on EBT already.
okay... i guess i'm stuck not caring. if it's that big a deal, someone will find a way to help them out. my former city gives out garbage bag vouchers. maybe some of the dimes spent on plastic bags could go towards that.

Do you realize the impact of one little child's Barbie jeep has? Those things contain more volume than probably a Walmart Super Center's plastic bags create in any given day. The landfills are full of Barbie jeeps and the like.
and those jeeps stay there. what do the bags do?
you're right though, we could do better recycling all our refuse.

It would be environmentally beneficial if a few million people killed themselves, want to make a federal law mandating that? Want to volunteer?
This is why you can't be taken seriously. You want to equate a small tax on an environmentally unfriendly product that has inexpensive and more friendly substitutes to mandatory suicide.

You have gone completely off the deep end here
i only object because it micromanages our taxes instead of solving a problem through Infrastructure.
I think there is a place for both. There's no reason a usage tax to encourage behavioral change couldn't be coupled with improvements in waste management. In fact i'd say that one without the other is an incomplete solution

The problem is to get everyone on the same page with simple instructions easy enough to remember.

Then everyone should use reusable bags. How easy is that? So people stop whining about 10c or 25c.

Our garbage trucks are fitted with hydraulic lifts to engage and empty the garbage cans. The EPA requires all garbage placed in these cans to be bagged. Poor people as well as a lot of others use the Walmart grocery bags for their garbage bags. You've got to require that all the grocery stores use paper bags in order to control it. You can purchase a kitchen garbage can that is especially made to accommodate these grocery store plastic bags.

There was far more garbage scattered along the highways in the 70's. I would say at least three times as much as now, and I am happy that there has been so much improvement. Beauty makes us happy.

There was far more garbage scattered along the highways in the 70's. I would say at least three times as much as now, and I am happy that there has been so much improvement. Beauty makes us happy.

There were actually some GLASS bottles back then.

There were actually some GLASS bottles back then.

I was a glass fanatic or enthusiast but looks like I changed since plastic bottles rarely bother me anymore.

I still like a good old fashioned Coke out of a glass bottle. I also remember drinking milk out of a glass bottle. It seemed so much better tasting or maybe I simply destroyed my taste buds with hot sauce.

Forum List

Back