Democrats propose nationwide 10-cent tax on plastic bags

More love of government force to get us to behave the way YOU want us to behave.

Go pound sand.

So what is your suggestion? Keep using plastic bag? Instead of complaining and displaying the standard behavior of wrongful rights. I want to know what is your solution? I don't want to pound sands but I want to pound people's head.

Lead by example. Petition stores to give incentives for using re-usable bags.

Don't go running to government to force the rest of us to follow your moral code.
We often make selfish decisions that have little negative impact individually but cause great harm when the masses act that way.

It's called the tragedy of the commons
we already have litter pick-up infrastructure; why not make better use of recycling and reclamation technologies?
Awesome! How would you like to pay for those upgrades? Maybe we could tax something, perhaps an item that causes problems...
actually; i would like to get rid of the drug war to pay for it; or, since it is an Investment in the general welfare, it should produce a positive multiplier effect and pay for itself, like Hoover Dam.

So what is your suggestion? Keep using plastic bag? Instead of complaining and displaying the standard behavior of wrongful rights. I want to know what is your solution? I don't want to pound sands but I want to pound people's head.

Don't go running to government to force the rest of us to follow your moral code.
We often make selfish decisions that have little negative impact individually but cause great harm when the masses act that way.

plastic bags are not going to be the cause of the demise of the commons. There is no reason the feds need to get involved in this, except to please some busybody environmentalist rich twats who haven't probably shopped on their own in decades.
Right. Plastic bags have no negative impact on the environment. There is not a giant floating mass of plastic in the pacific.

Do you agree that it would be environmentally beneficial to use fewer plastic bags?

It would be environmentally beneficial if a few million people killed themselves, want to make a federal law mandating that? Want to volunteer?
This is why you can't be taken seriously. You want to equate a small tax on an environmentally unfriendly product that has inexpensive and more friendly substitutes to mandatory suicide.

You have gone completely off the deep end here

plastic bags are not going to be the cause of the demise of the commons. There is no reason the feds need to get involved in this, except to please some busybody environmentalist rich twats who haven't probably shopped on their own in decades.
Right. Plastic bags have no negative impact on the environment. There is not a giant floating mass of plastic in the pacific.

Do you agree that it would be environmentally beneficial to use fewer plastic bags?

It would be environmentally beneficial if a few million people killed themselves, want to make a federal law mandating that? Want to volunteer?
This is why you can't be taken seriously. You want to equate a small tax on an environmentally unfriendly product that has inexpensive and more friendly substitutes to mandatory suicide.

i only object because it micromanages our taxes instead of solving a problem through Infrastructure.

They aren't selling many now, genius. People bring their own or use the cart and unload right into their vehicles. Trees are a renewable source but biogradable bags would have made sense. Libs are too mentally ill to figure it out.
We are all rocket scientists here in California and have figured out how to do it at 10 cents a bag.
I never see anyone buying a bag. It's more of a protest than figuring it out. The money goes to the government and plastic isn't available. I just put the shit back in the cart and take it to my rig.

i only object because it micromanages our taxes instead of solving a problem through Infrastructure.
I think there is a place for both. There's no reason a usage tax to encourage behavioral change couldn't be coupled with improvements in waste management. In fact i'd say that one without the other is an incomplete solution

I think there is a place for both. There's no reason a usage tax to encourage behavioral change couldn't be coupled with improvements in waste management. In fact i'd say that one without the other is an incomplete solution
if it fits in the trash barrel; why do we need to do anything else?

The problem is to get everyone on the same page with simple instructions easy enough to remember.

The problem is to get everyone on the same page.
Right. Hence the need for government.

That's a shortsighted, or incomplete solution.

Think about it - you cant possibly have 100% reclamation. It just wont happen. And as long as the product is out there you won't have everyone using an alternative. But if you combine the two efforts you can do better than either one alone

How about just going back to paper bags I like those better anyway .
You'd think it was asking people to give up their right arms the way they act

Paper has its own problems but i think.most would say they are, at this time, preferable

Think about it - you cant possibly have 100% reclamation. It just wont happen. And as long as the product is out there you won't have everyone using an alternative. But if you combine the two efforts you can do better than either one alone
why not, if all a Person need do is throw it away in the usual and customary manner; and let "infrastructure" handle the rest.

advances in robotic and digital recognition systems could be advanced and implemented to better reclaim any resources.

why not, if all a Person need do is throw it away in the usual and customary manner; and let "infrastructure" handle the rest.

advances in robotic and digital recognition systems could be advanced and implemented to better reclaim any resources.
not every bag will end up in the trash. no recognition system is 100%
i'm not saying that the system couldn't be made better, i'm saying that it won't be 100% (and would be expensive)

Paper has its own problems but i think.most would say they are, at this time, preferable
At the very least go back to the time where you were offered the choice of paper or plastic.

Thank God I only use bags made from baby seals and spotted owls.

House Democrats have introduced legislation that would impose a 10-cent tax on plastic bags nationwide.

Rep. Alan S. Lowenthal, California Democrat, introduced the Trash Reduction Act of 2015 on Thursday in an effort to “dramatically reduce plastic trash nationwide,” according to a press release. He said he hopes the plastic bag models in California and the District of Columbia can be expanded nationwide.

Democrats propose 10-cent tax on plastic bags nationwide - Washington Times

More of the Democrats war on the poor and the middle class. More taxes.

At the very least go back to the time where you were offered the choice of paper or plastic.
plastic is cheaper and easier. guess which one your retailer wants you to take?

House Democrats have introduced legislation that would impose a 10-cent tax on plastic bags nationwide.

Rep. Alan S. Lowenthal, California Democrat, introduced the Trash Reduction Act of 2015 on Thursday in an effort to “dramatically reduce plastic trash nationwide,” according to a press release. He said he hopes the plastic bag models in California and the District of Columbia can be expanded nationwide.

right. because the poor and middle class can't be bothered to use a paper or canvas bag. that's for rich folk

right. because the poor and middle class can't be bothered to use a paper or canvas bag. that's for rich folk

Right. They will have to purchase paper bags since they use the grocery store provided plastic bags. Got it?

Right. They will have to purchase paper bags since they use the grocery store provided plastic bags. Got it?
the burden of a $1 reusable bag... so terrible

plastic is cheaper and easier. guess which one your retailer wants you to take?
Plastic is cheaper in ways other than cost.

Forum List

Back